Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How much water do you drink?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,088 mod
In my country, the recommended guideline is that you should drink two litres of water per day, but most people never reach this amount. I probably drink about a litre and a half most days.

Water is very important - but how much do you drink? And do you have any tips about how you can build it into your day?
«13

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    I'm terrible at drinking enough. Especially when it's hot, even a couple of litres isn't really enough. I'm trying to remember to take a bottle of water with me when I go out. But I still usually forget it's there.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    mheredge said:

    I'm terrible at drinking enough. Especially when it's hot, even a couple of litres isn't really enough. I'm trying to remember to take a bottle of water with me when I go out. But I still usually forget it's there.

    Yes, sometimes I take a bottle out with me and it will still be full when I return home. But I always have a lot more energy when I drink more water, so I should try harder!
  • renothingrenothing Posts: 40 ✭✭
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > In my country, the recommended guideline is that you should drink two litres of water per day, but most people never reach this amount. I probably drink about a litre and a half most days.
    >
    > Water is very important - but how much do you drink? And do you have any tips about how you can build it into your day?

    It is the same in my country - 2 liters per day. But in my view, it depends on your body and your activities.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    Definitely @renothing. Especially if you are doing a lot of exercise, you need to drink much more. I can never carry enough water when I'm trekking, as I'll easily go through three litres a day and have to refill my water bottle as I go along.
  • renothingrenothing Posts: 40 ✭✭
    @mheredge what kind of sport do u like? I play football every week, and i can not remember how much water i drink during the game and after
  • FedeARGFedeARG Posts: 2
    I drink water all day. I like water (although doesn't have savor). I think that is the best drink that you can drink.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    I bought a pack of six 1.5 litre bottles of mineral water today. The aim is to drink one a day. So far I'm not doing too well though, as I've only probably had about 330ml!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    FedeARG said:

    I drink water all day. I like water (although doesn't have savor). I think that is the best drink that you can drink.

    I drink it constantly when I am sitting at my desk, but then for some reason it slips my mind when I am not at home.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    I'm better when I'm working at home too @GemmaRowlands as I'm constantly putting the kettle on for tea!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    mheredge said:

    I'm better when I'm working at home too @GemmaRowlands as I'm constantly putting the kettle on for tea!

    Yes, me too, in fact I plan to spend a few more minutes catching up on posts here, and then that is exactly what I plan to do.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    I wax really glad I'd invested in that six-pack of one and a half litres of water as moving was very thirsty business and I think in the could of hours the guys were working, they must have drunk a bottle each.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    mheredge said:

    I wax really glad I'd invested in that six-pack of one and a half litres of water as moving was very thirsty business and I think in the could of hours the guys were working, they must have drunk a bottle each.

    Moving is very thirsty work. My father has just got a new house so this is something that I have found out over the past weekend!
  • GlaucoftGlaucoft Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Yep, normally the recommendation it's to drink from one liter and a half to two liters by day.
    I believe it's depend at each organism.
    I normally drink about 1.5 liters by day.
    My tip is: Get a full bottle of water, about 1.5 to 2 liters and during the day your objective is to drink everything. If is a middle of the day the water level need to be on the middle too. ;-)
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I try to drink two liters of water a day. And in the morning I always drink two cups of water on an empty stomach.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    When I came to know about benefit of drinking at least two liter of water everyday I coalesce habit of drinking water in my routine.Now I am wonted of drinking at least 2 litre of water everyday.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 242 ✭✭
    I should drink more water a day. In the summer I don't have a problem with drinking a two litres a day but in the autumn and winter I drink a little water because it makes me cold feeling.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    Nazerke said:

    I try to drink two liters of water a day. And in the morning I always drink two cups of water on an empty stomach.

    I have heard that this is a great way to start the day as it gets everything moving. I have thought about doing it before, but never remember to take water upstairs with me.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    Now it's getting cooler, I don't come in with my tongue dragging on the floor quite so much. I do keep a couple of bottles of water in the fridge at all times though.

  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    mheredge said:

    Now it's getting cooler, I don't come in with my tongue dragging on the floor quite so much. I do keep a couple of bottles of water in the fridge at all times though.

    I think it's always good to be able to keep a few bottles in the fridge, as nothing is more refreshing than a lovely, cold drink of water.
  • andres9926andres9926 Posts: 7
    I drink half gallon a day.. to keep a healthy lifestyle
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod

    I drink half gallon a day.. to keep a healthy lifestyle

    How to you remind yourself to drink that amount? Don't you find that you forget about it sometimes?
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    Half a gallon sounds a lot @andres9926 but it depends whether you mean American gallons or British gallons! I never realised there was a difference.

    US gallon = 3.8 litres
    British gallon = 4.5 litres
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    mheredge said:

    Half a gallon sounds a lot @andres9926 but it depends whether you mean American gallons or British gallons! I never realised there was a difference.

    US gallon = 3.8 litres
    British gallon = 4.5 litres

    I didn't realise that there was a difference either! At least now I know, and will be aware of it in the future :).
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I heard sometime that for each 10 kg of weight, we should drink 200 ml per day.... assuming normal activity
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    KA1 said:

    I heard sometime that for each 10 kg of weight, we should drink 200 ml per day.... assuming normal activity

    That is an interesting way to work things out. On this basis, I am certainly not drinking anywhere near enough each day!
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands , I think many of us don't drink enough.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    KA1 said:

    @GemmaRowlands , I think many of us don't drink enough.

    Yes that is true. But the thing is, I always know that I feel a lot better when I drink more, so I really should try to make more of an effort.
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I agree @GemmaRowlands , we should all attempt to drink more, specially when the weather is hot
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    That doesn't sound enough @GemmaRowlands. Someone weighing 70kg for example, would only be drinking 1.4 litres a day.
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    @mheredge , based on what I heard, 1.4 litres is sufficient for someone weighing 70 kg as long as the weather is not very hot.
Sign In or Register to comment.