Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tricks to imrpove vocabulary while watching tv

Here's what I sometimes do:
1. I watch an episode (maybe a SITCOM) without subtitles.
2. I read the subtitles (you can download them from the Internet).
3. I watch the episode again with subtitles on.
4. I watch it one last time, with subtitles on and making pauses to copy and search the meaning of unknown words. I also write the sentence where it appears (so I have the word used in a context).
5. Some days later I review the vocabulary/meaning/sentences.

Best Answers

• AriemesAriemes Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I think this is a very useful tip @sunpvm.
    I usually spend a lot of time on series and movies but I have already many difficulties to watch them without subtitles.

Answers

• sunpvmsunpvm Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I hope you take profit of it if you decide to try on!!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    This sounds like an excellent way to learn @sunpvm. I once met a young Tibetan guy in India who could speak English well who learned solely in this way.
    > @mheredge said:
    > This sounds like an excellent way to learn @sunpvm. I once met a young Tibetan guy in India who could speak English well who learned solely in this way.

Only in this way!? Striking!!
    Here in Spain we have a lot of immigrants coming from Romania, and most of them "learn" Spanish before coming here by watching Southamerican soup operas.
    They don't master the language at all, but, that way they have a bood bases when they arrive to Spain and take contact with real Spanish language use.
    > @mheredge said:
    > This sounds like an excellent way to learn @sunpvm. I once met a young Tibetan guy in India who could speak English well who learned solely in this way.

A good resource is reading the subtitles before watching the episode, so you can understand it better even watching it without subtitles. It can be a bit of spoiler, but maybe you can try it with a series you're not too interested in.
  • phieyphiey Posts: 37 Inactive
    Wow, thanks for the tips. I will try later
  • ICEBERGICEBERG Posts: 32 ✭✭
    i watch series on netflix and i bought an extension on goole chrome. Fleex.tv
    When you active fleex on netflix you have the subtitles in your language but when your skill improve, fleex replace your subtitles by the english subtitles and after fleex remove the subtitles. It is very progressive. You can also register the word you don't understand with the sentence and have a translation. You can navigate in the subtitles (it is very practical) and when you put in pause your film you have the english subtitle and the subtitle in your language. I use it everyday.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big deal. I initially watched many TV series and Movies with subtitles and once I got familiar with the accent, I started watching them without subtitles.