Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

do you think the history so important in our lives? why?

KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll try to speak about history so important to understand everything about the life in the past.
The history so useful to know about different countries and cultural around the world.
I think without history no one can understand what happened in the past and we learn from history .
The history so important for political because you can study a lot of mistakes from old kings and avoid to fall the same mistake.
almost studies came from history especially social sciences if you want to study any case you need to study history first.
finally I want to say without history you can't know anything about other religions.
@Lynne @Bubbly @Frank @Shiny03 @Luty @arni @Zom @mohit_singh @Anurada @cveta @torellip

Comments

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas despite history we seem to repeat the same errors again and again, don't we?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • swaminathanswaminathan Posts: 7
    @Khalied You cannot insert the term history in a particular part like politics, war, religion, kings, wars. History is History that's it. And we can say History in terms of time, Period. Everything n the world comes under time. History is must and it should be indeed. Life in earth is infinity but at the same time it has origin. So based on time we can determine history. If anything has its origin then we can say it as history at this point pointing passed timeline. Its must to know about whom we are. It's about evolution.
  • swaminathanswaminathan Posts: 7
    @khalied Answer for why in my aspect: Why, How these are all the chronic question that recurring to make us changing history. We will get pride/shame or we will be proud/ashamed how we have changed either good or bad. How we emerged or how we get destroyed. To make us in straight line, right path we need history.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zom the president to Egypt make same plan to control Egypt(Mohamed Ali) came from Turkey wanted to become president but don't like to askjust say I want to help Egyptian people when he became the president to Egypt killed a lot of famous people .did you know the writer in ancient Egypt discover by Nablyon because he tried to control Egypt
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends how do you take it. For me history helps us to know the endless chain of events that are interconnected. I take history as a big source of knowing the evolution of our culture.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I do think the same that history is important.
    History teaches you how to tackle the situation in present.
    If you know the past decision and there result then accordingly you choose your current decision so that you face less problem.
  • AriemesAriemes Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I think the same as Bubbly and most of you. History is a very important subject because every fact represent a precedent and such as it should stop making always the same mistakes. There is also another issue in my view: "Who wins the war, will write the history."
    Because of this, many time the real history is pretty different from what books tell us and I've learned it's much more than what's in ordinary books.
    What do you guys think about this matter?
    @Ariemes do you think all facts in history true?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    @Khalied history is as much about interpretation than seeing things in black or white, true or untrue. E.P.Thompson likened the study of history to looking at a mountain from different angles. It looks very different depending on the side you look at it from.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think history is so important. The past even doesn't exist.

Because the past itself is gone. How does it exist? It's only our imagination or illusion that past affects us.
    In short, we are living for moving on. On the other hand, time and tide wait for no man. No matter how
    much we crave for it, it just passes.

However, I like history in some ways. I like to read those stories and sort out how they thought and how they lived in those era which entertain me somehow.

@Shiny03 without history you can't know anything about sciences . The history speak about old events did you read book( the prince) this book speak about a lot of things any king need all of them between advantages and disadvantages without history you will lost a lot of sciences. when I hear any name of country through any session or news easy to know because of history
  • AriemesAriemes Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    > @Khalied said:
    > @Ariemes do you think all facts in history true?

Not at all. If we assume that all we know about history derives from books and means approved by governaments, we can easly assume that some times the real history is pretty different.
    Several times I did further investigations about some events and I learned new things, such as that the history changes a lot according with the point of view from you're watching it. For instance If you look at a specific war always trough the winner's eyes, you'll always find a legit reason for his action, no metter how really violent those actions are. We can see at the Vietnam War as an example of this.
    I'm a bit biased when it comes to history @Khalied, as I studied history. But I think knowledge of history is extremely important to help understand where we are now. I think it is too hopeful to think we might learn from our mistakes though.
    @mheredge the history so important to know about different cultures around the world and you can build great civilization, I agree with you we should Learn from our mistakes and avoid to fall again. I want to say some words in history not true or simple mistakes for service some people just we need realise history
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, history is important in our live. We are interested in history of our family, our ancestors, where from we come. History builds identity of nations, it's the subject of researches. But history maybe a problem when politicians abuse history opposite another nation, creating resentments. When country hides unclear past, it is problem. In my country since many years we have been discussing about our history and our relations with neighbouring countries.
    History is part of every country's culture too, and has an important role to play.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 mod
    The trouble is - whose version of history?! I like the history of ordinary people's experience. Which is why it's so important to read widely and voraciously! :)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    What do you think about the 'end of history' - conception given by Fukuyama? According to his ideas the final triumph of liberal democracy means the end of conflicts and wars, but he also admitted that it would be possible in rather distant future. I'm complete opponent of that theory but i wanna know your view and i hope for some positive opinions about that - discussion will be more interesting then ;)
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @henczyslaw1 I agree with you. I read book written by Fukuyama and I think that he is wrong. We can look a example news. The world is militarising. The latest affairs in Turkey proves that liberal democracy is be on the way out. I have read an article about it that liberal democracy suffer on lack of expressive leaders. I think that my generation don't see triumph of democracy.
    Khalied said:

@Shiny03 without history you can't know anything about sciences . The history speak about old events did you read book( the prince) this book speak about a lot of things any king need all of them between advantages and disadvantages without history you will lost a lot of sciences. when I hear any name of country through any session or news easy to know because of history

Come on. Are you talking about history or science?
    History could be made up. How much truth do you think is really written down in books?
    @Shiny03 History is a study of the various facts of human life and is closely linked with other social sciences which make a specific study of different facts of human life.

Many scholars held a view that history is the centre of the social sciences which feeds other social sciences
    History and Economics:

History is also closely related to Economics. As the activities of a man in society are very closely related with the economic matters, the historian of any period must possess at least a rudimentary knowledge of the economics. In fact, the economic history of any period is an important branch of history and its understanding is absolutely essential for the proper understanding of history of any period.

There has been a new orientation in our historical outlook from the days of the materialistic interpretation of history by Marx and such class struggle, man’s skill in earning, arts and crafts, trade, business and commerce, land revenue, taxes and a host of all other economic activities of the past figure very prominently in history.
    @Khalied Look at what you wrote.
    The knowledge of history in all respects helps us sometimes, not history itself.
    Can you distinguish the difference?
    @Shiny03 the history include (political- sciences -economic -) speak about everything happened in the past special in sciences and social
    the history try to discover any phenomena or event and try to analysis to event it's not like write anything
  • bigcheesehbigcheeseh Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I think history is very importent, because:
    "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." George Santayana.

We must know our history to not repeat our past mistakes again and again.
    Today I was only discussing how intertwined the history of France and Britain is, for over a thousand years.
    @mheredge I think the history between Britain and France full of exciting events war and friend ship and I know a lot of information related to France and England because every country try to conquer Egypt and enjoy wealth and I think Europe countries lived in the dark 17 and 18 century and the church control everything in judge and high word for church and magic but when two revolution in Europe countries the first revolution industry and second revolution in France invite freedom and quality between all people and revolution in thinking and invite good value from this time Europe countries move in right place if you want to speak about France already you will speak about Intellectual revolution make a lot of good things around world.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Sometimes unfortunately even some really tragical events (like wars) cannot teach people anything. Only twenty years after the I WW there was an outbreak of second significantly more bloody and dreadful war. And that's really horrible. Of course after the II WW politicians in Europe drew some conclusions and set up EU (or more accurately EC) because it's better to cooperate but now there is again negative trend - Great Britain is going to leave EU, Le Pen wanna organize referendum in France and Germany are again the most powerful country in Europe what always has been bad for Europe.
    @mheredge @Dora @Shiny03
    who was sun tzu ?
    wrote a book, The Art of War, that became the classic work on strategy in China. His book, which details a complete philosophy on how to decisively defeat one’s opponent, has given guidance to military theorists and generals throughout the ages. In The Art of War, military readers found a holistic approach to strategy that was powerful and deep–it is truly a masterpiece on strategy. As the former U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Colin Powell said, “I’ve read the Chinese classic The Art of War written by Sun Tzu. Sun Tzu has been studied for hundreds of years. He continues to give inspiration to soldiers and politicians. So every American soldier in the army knows of his works. We require our soldiers to read it.”
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭✭
    @Khalied - I just want to live in present. :D
    Did you know a lot gets lost in translation from this book? You should read this book in Chinese,
    so I think it's time for you to delve into learning Chinese.

By the way, although its title is 'The Art of War', it actually remarks intrinsic ethics of peace.