Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,942 mod

Here are nine things that happier people have in common:

What makes you happiest?

http://www.techinsider.io/science-happiness-traits-behaviors-2016-8

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,942 mod
    And a few words from the happiest man in the world!

http://themindawakened.com/matthieu-ricard/

• CalixtaCalixta Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @mheredge

I couldn't agree more with that infographic. Thanks for sharing!

It's funny because the things that make me happy are the simple things like evening strolls, playing with my cat, relaxing in my favorite coffee shop, a good meal, a restful sleep, time with family and friends.

Of course I still enjoy grand events like special occasions, nice purchases, and vacations. But I realized that happiness doesn't have to be a faraway event that I need to work hard for. I can be happy now. Right here. At this moment. No matter the circumstance.

There would be less discontent in the world if people can find joy in the simple things in life.
    @Calixta you are totally right. I think it's those small and simple things that many people forget that give the most happiness. I think people would be a lot more contented if they were not always looking for more, more, more all the time.
  • GeethavaniGeethavani Posts: 3
    Hi Calixta, This is Geetha. Happy to read your comments in this site. Yes so many people forget the small, small things to make them happy. small things like: Talk nice to people, sharing the thoughts, helping others, being friendly to everyone.
    edited November 2016
    Meeting friends is a way I derive a lot of pleasure @Calixta and @Geethavani. Last night while I was waiting to meet up with an old friend, I bumped into another friend who I didn't expect to see as I thought he was half way across the other side of the world. That was a very nice surprise.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    My happiness is simple. If every morning I can drink coffee and read news or interesting things in internet before starting working. Actually happiness is simple thing if we realize it well, often times we measure of happiness from material perspective only. Let's say if we rich we will happy, if we can travel around the world we will happy and so forth. But, happiness's place is in our heart. In my opinion only gratitude attitude will lead the real happiness.
    I totally agree with you @icha_15. I think too many people are unhappy because they cannot recognise how lucky they are and they want more all the time.
  • nguyenvanthanhvtnguyenvanthanhvt Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Travelling with my family makes me happy. Also, I like to sitting around chatting with dearest friends.
    @mhredge I ever had tried to translate a story from my native language to English about happiness. It is a simple story but has a deep life lesson.
    Because in modern era like nowadays so many people look for happiness and they (including me) often time connecting the happiness with things. The story that I wrote as reminder for me to understand the meaning of happiness itself besides I can practice in English.
    edited December 2016
    @nguyenvanthanhvt , yes that is true, the simple thing can make us happy and actually we can find it in our daily lives.
    Happiness comes from within. I think by thinking positively on things too, this helps a lot.
  • DiakhaDiakha Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I think happiness has a lot to do with spirituality. You have to shift paradygms so that to know real sense of life and humanity. Then you can hitch think that are definite and eternal. In one sentence, "you have to know who you are really".
  • FerFer Posts: 144 ✭✭
    When my project is done, it makes me happy. :smiley:
    I will be happy today if it doesn't rain all day!
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,641 mod
    edited January 20
    What makes you happy @pelouche, @pentaan, @Janjard, @Paulette and @Margreth59? Or maybe you don't have any reasons to be happy at the moment...?
    Post edited by Frank on
  • pentaanpentaan Posts: 22 ✭✭
    [quote="Frank;c-187812"]What makes you happy @pelouche, @pentaan, @Janjard and @Margreth59? Or maybe you don't have any reasons to be happy at the moment...[/quote

@Frank
    I am very happy with the group you have made for the Dutch Duolingo users. Sadly I did not have the Immersion possibility in Duolingo. So I had no challence to correspond with other people. And here I have!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    What is amazing about this discussion is that whenever I stuck to this. Suddenly, I start to find the reason of being Happy and I became myself a happier person at that instance.
  • BassaBassa Posts: 53 ✭✭
    What make me really happy is that everywhere I'm, everywhere I will be and anything will happen, there is always a person that has a world of comfort and Keeps me in her thoughts...and this person is my mother
    I am always happy meeting friends. Today was a busy day. After meeting meeting a friend and his young daughter who's only three, but speaks English (to her dad), Nepali (to her mum) and French at school, I met up with three friends to celebrate the birthday of one of them. Then I introduced a couple of friends to eachother who want to maybe work together. After that I met up with a medical volunteer who'll be going to a hospital to help out for about four weeks. Finally I met with some good friends who run a trekking shop.
  • John23John23 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I'm happy traveling; meeting people of around of the world.
    i.e I like resting near the beach in holidays.
  • VladimirMVladimirM Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Food is make me happy ;D . When you come home hungry and see food .... so you know that feeling
    I know what you men @VladimirM. I confess, I live to eat rather than the other way round.
    @mheredge Hahahaha , I knew that find here my teammate
    Now, you are making me hungry @VladimirM . Are you not the president of Russia? ;)
    edited April 10
    Not yet @mohit_singh . Why most of people from foreign country , ask me that question ^_^
    Because your name resumble with the president of Russia. Vladimir Putin! :p @VladimirM
    @mohit_singh I am afraid of that i do not look like him ))
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 158 ✭✭
    i will happy if i watch movie i like .... hahaha that is for particularly :)
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 158 ✭✭
    @VladimirM i bet you are not thin :smiley:
    @faiz49 I eat a lot of but my weight is 78kg . I want to be 90 ^_^