Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

can you tell me the traditions in your country the day before wedding ?

The Night Before the Wedding in Egypt

When the house of the new family became ready, the two families fixed an oppointment of the wedding party. The night before wedding day, the relatives, the friends and the neighbors got together to celebrate the "Henna Night". The women went to the bride's house, while the men went to the groom's house.

At the bride's house the women danced and sang all night while the bride wore a pink dress made with silk or cotton fibers, and her hands and feet were bleached with henna. Meanwhile, the men danced and sang all night at the groom's house, and the groom wore an expensive clean suit.

The Day of the Wedding

The next day, the marriage contract was signed and registered by priest in the temple in the attendance of the couple and most of their families and friends

The Wedding Party

After sun set, the wedding party started, and the couple wore their best dresses and jewelry. The bride was transferred to her new house on a horse or a camel with a musical band, and the attendants sprayed the cortege with green wheat as a symbol of fertility. Several kinds of cooked meats as well as vegetables and fruit were prepared for the attendants, who danced and sang with music all night.

The Day After the Wedding

In the morning, the wife's mother and her sisters visited her and gave her some food. The wife's friends and relatives visited her after seven days from the date of her wedding party, and they offered gifts and some food, while she gave them some sweets and fruits.

Ancient Egyptian marriage customs are the most effective marriage customs in Egypt's history although Egypt has been exposed to many civilization, such as, Greek, Roman and Islam

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,631 mod
    Hi Khalied,

Thank you for sharing.

I am way ahead of you on sharing the traditions in the UK:-

http://www.learnenglish.de/culture/marriage.html

Of course Britain is a multi-cultural country, so there are many different traditions depending on people's ethnicity, but these are the ones I know about.
  • torelliptorellip Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Khalied. There are many different traditions in Italy, mainly between Northern and Southern Italy. I know that some people are used to have a bachelor party, some days before the wedding. Usually the husband-to-be gathers together a group of his friends and they eat, drink and gamble all throught the night. It is seen as his last chance to say goodbye to the carefree days of his bachelorhood.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne I checked your link so pretty and amazing and I want to some traditions in Egypt being like England like to drink juice and groom give bride sip of his cup and in other side the bride do the same thing .to eat cake groom feed bride and my mother told me about old traditions in my country it's look like pretty feeling and I can know that by photo . something so strange about throwing flowers to unmarried women and men and If anyone catch flower will be marred we have different traditions like that bite groom or bride before marriage to became marry on next week .the groom should carry his wife from street into the flat and take holiday for week or month .
    @torellip can you explain to me about feelings to groom and bride before wedding ?
    some grooms and bride feel stressed and worries about the night and I think that's normal feeling :)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,065 mod
    @Khalied surely weddings everywhere are amongst the most stressful life events possible, aren't they? Along with starting a new job, moving house, having a baby....
    @mheredge I think everyone feel worried about new life and future after marriage the life must be pretty and with children the relation become more Strong .
  • sarathaer93sarathaer93 Posts: 27 ✭✭
    In my country Jordan.. the day before wedding the bride makes a small party with her family and friends. The groom shouldn't see his bride for one month before the wedding.
    @sarathaer93 we call the day before wedding( henna)
    I'm with @mheredge. It a stressful events to many persons. For this reason, my husband and I organized a simple wedding cerimony. We invited only our closest friends and relatives and we had a nice (and short) wedding party in our garden.
    Yes as we call it in Jordan henna @Khalied we have alot of similarty because our countries are close together.
    Similarties*
    @torellip the wedding in rural Egypt so pretty and good relationship with people so good although the party full of people and make especial food and dancing in the street or club with and now the world being like small village and make wedding in club
    @sarathaer93 yes we have similar traditions Egypt and Jordan like brothers :)
    Yes we are
    @Khalied I'd like to take part to a rural wedding cerimony in your Country. I live in the contryside, but we lost most of rural traditions.
    @torellip the wedding in rural so pretty and the people so lovely and our street through wedding full of lights and songs and dance it's looks like everybody love somebody but new phenomena appears in rural now to make wedding in club but I don't like to do that and I remember henna to my little sister the bride and groom the bride wear pink address and groom wear t shirt or suit then dancing and listen to songs and everyone should dance finally all people eat food (pasta-cabbage - meat -kebab -and sweat-cold drink or juice ),groom and bride eat in hall to the bride and everyone feed other <3 and speak for two hours or more
  • imaneimane Posts: 4
    traditional in Algeria is almost like the Egyptian once..there is an exception that the bride doesn't obligatory wear a pink dress at henna night, and also (i don't know if you believe it or not): the wedding keeps on run for three days:
    _the first day starts at night where some of the groom's family come to bride family to see henna cerimony and before that; the older groom's family members went to diner (meat, '' kousskouss'' , soup, salad,cold drinks, fruits ...)
    _and the second one (the most important) the bride get out her father's house under his arm(and without including tears :'( ) going to groom's home in a long and beautiful car procession,on the door grandmother or mother in law receive her with cup of milk and honey and throws an egg (i don't know why... the unlucky one receive it on his face or clothes :D ) also throws on her candies and nuts where children go to pick up the most possible of it (after a minute you won't find even a half candy on the graound :'( ..anyway...) ,than bride's family have a good lunch ( it almost like Hospitality exchange) at night the bride meets the groom in a huge party of dancing and singing and Firecrackers.
    _and finaly in the next day bride's family go back to groom's one to see a show almost like a fashion chow where the bride wears here most beautiful and traditional dresses and clothes and everyone represent the traditional way of wearing of a particular side in Algeria even other countries as Egypt, Marroc, India! .. and the wedding is finished finally ( and every one is exhausted..even you :D ).
    of course withe time there is wedding cerimonies have gone and other have just created! B)
    I'm being daily regular join every wedding for fun with my friends and my family :)
    edited August 2016
    :o @khalied, it looks like a full-time job. I would never do it. It's so tiring....
  • MakniMakni Posts: 20 ✭✭
    It appear that you are already married @Khalied and you loved this trial, In Tunisia the wedding is so expensive, the normal one cost between 20 and 25 Million Dollars.
    So honestly, according to us, We are so affraid from this trial :p
    @rasha_gamal try to speak about traditions wedding in your country
  • rasha_gamalrasha_gamal Posts: 11 ✭✭
    In my country Egypt . The day before the wedding every one the bride and her groom make a party in his house and the family and the friends come to the party . The bride wears many beautiful customs and draw with henna on her hand . And every girl in the ceremony draw too . And the still sing and dance until they tired . In the groom house it's the same he and his friends dancing all the night .
  • renothingrenothing Posts: 40 ✭✭
    In my country, they invite friends, colleagues, family come to the wedding party. When people come to the party, they also bring a envelop with money inside as a gift for the groom and bride. And than we will have eat together, then may be dancing, singing ....
  • stephenstephen Posts: 3
    You know what. In my country, they eat "Dog meat". that's a "silly traditional food" i think. I've never eat that before, now and go on.
  • Youssef121Youssef121 Posts: 1
    Hey Khalid my name is Youssef I'm from Egypt I like the way u speak is so amazing
    @Youssef121 you're welcome ,I'm so happy to see you here :) @Bubbly I'm not alone here :D
    can you share some traditions related to the day before marriage ? I know the traditions in Egypt not the same in all Egypt
    -upper Egypt a lot of good things and beautiful like dance on horse with music and some traditions about bride and groom and make food and buy gold
    -the Bedouin live in desert Egypt (Arab) interested in sheep and goats and simple house but the most interest thing more gold make party to all families in village
    -delta Egypt that's my place special traditions mix between Arab countries and Europe countries to make party in club or street the day before wedding (HENNA) EVERY one dance with music and make hanna for groom and bride some people can make two part first in front of house groom and second in front of bride and I prefer to make one party like what I'm doing with my little sister through her wedding make party include groom and bride and make good food and sweets and music and all people dancing :)
  • CalixtaCalixta Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Not exactly a custom, but there's this old superstition that brides-to-be who wear their wedding gowns before the wedding day is bad luck.

Doing so is believed to cause a called-off wedding or an unfortunate event that will make the wedding not happen.

It's kind of unnerving. I think people back then practice this. But times have changed. Most women, me including, can't imagine not fitting into their wedding gowns to make sure it's perfect for their special day.
  • Richu2015Richu2015 Posts: 6
    My country is secularism country, all kind of religion are living here so they are following their own traditional for their marriage, even in the same religion marriage ceremony is depending on region, so we could not say one procedure this is our traditional. Before marriage the elders of both the family gathered and discussed how to celebrate, where to celebrate, who has to invite the marriage. Long before, bride will not be permitted to speak and see with groom, nowadays it is changed
    @Richu2015 in Egypt almost wedding will be two places club or street. Nowadays almost people being prefer club better than street because the street not safe enough and you can't know your people easily