Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do we badly need grammar to speak English?

sammanisammani Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
I feel that we no need any grammar to speak our native language.But in English when I speak, I try to follow some grammar rules.My friends say,if we know grammar it is easy to speak.It may be true,but It is not natural when we talk with grammar,I think.So I would like to know about your opinion.Do we need grammar to speak English?

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    Some Brits says ," British people don't know the grammar" . Actually they speak a good English in any case. Probably others , like italian people are obsessed about grammar. In according to this we italian people get more difficulty in learning English. In my view we should leave grammar rules and breaking this wall we could speak better then we do now.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,527 mod
    edited July 2016
    Grammar is like the glue that's needed to stick the words (vocabulary) together @sammani. At least that's how I see it. So while it is possible to communicate with minimal grammar, it is much harder to get by if you don't have much vocabulary. It depends what you need English for, but I reckon that both are needed, but if you don't know many words, then even if you understand the grammar perfectly, you might not be able to communicate.

@domez a lot of Brits don't know their language as well as they should as it's not really taught very well at school. Unless in France where grammar is taught right through school, in Britain I don't think grammar is taught much beyond primary school.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I always believe in learning grammar because it helps us to speak good English and also give us confidence to speak in the right way. Following grammar rules is not an easy task but still it is fun when you learn it with others like we do in the Skype sessions. :)
    Here are ten grammar rule The Guardian is telling us it's okay to break.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/15/steven-pinker-10-grammar-rules-break
  • LahiruLahiru Posts: 59 ✭✭
    grammar is not necessary to speak english but its make things easy when you come to the written english well think about your are born in england or america without known any grammer rule you will be able to speak english fluently
    well only thing you want is practice !!!
    @Lahiru you cannot ignore grammar if you want to speak English confidently. I don't think that by ignoring it, you will be able to learn English.
  • phieyphiey Posts: 37 Inactive
    I think grammar is important, but many people didn't aware of it, especially in professional situation (Example, job interview, or doing presentation). But, for some cases, if we too focus about the right grammar, it will hold back us to try speaking. This is happen a lot to me. For my case, I have a difficulty to speaking in English because I always thinking what the right sentence. And I kinda translate from my native language to English in my mind. And I failed so many time to speaking what is on my mind.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grammar necessary to speak English very well and easy to anyone understand what you say
  • ChronozixChronozix Posts: 23 ✭✭
    As foreigner, we try to use grammar as a way to show our knowledge to native speakers. But it appears that they don't really use it as often as we do ! We speak / write the way we were told to, which might be different from the way natives learn it. I tend to think that using grammar is important if you want to be understood correctly, but it requires more energy.
    Ignoring grammar is not the solution. But you can make exceptions. Some major rules cannot be forgotten, but sometimes you can put some aside and just enjoy chatting with someone !
    Yes and grammar helps you to speak English confidently.
    Khalied said:

The grammar necessary to speak English very well and easy to anyone understand what you say

• SoemyatthuSoemyatthu Posts: 1
    I heard street people talk without respect to grammar and educated people care about grammar.
    By listening one's talk, you can guess he/she is educated or not.
    @Soemyatthu usually people skip grammar when they talk informally. But, it is a bit injustice to the language.

• karangadhavekarangadhave Posts: 33 ✭✭
    As far speaking is concered, yea grammar doesn't matter much, but it's useful if you have a good hold of it, as while writing it helps a lot.
    Again if you "kinda" wanna learn english them you wouldn't go for grammar, but if you "really" wanna learn english then you should learn grammar.
    What's all this 'yea' (yeah), 'kinda' and 'wanna' @karangadhave? >:)
  • karangadhavekarangadhave Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Kinda( kind of ), wanna (want to) and yea or yeah doesn't matter just an exclamation. @mheredge
  • basheerbasheer Posts: 15 ✭✭
    my opinion that if you speak a lot you will speak with grammar even if you don't know the grammar roles
    so the important thing is to lesson to native English speakers to speak like them even if you know the grammar or because u will speak in English sentence role with you know the role
  • Aml_SaiedAml_Saied Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I think no
  • loli2017loli2017 Posts: 13 ✭✭
    i think yes if your english is fluent you will find yourself using grammar without any effort its important so anyone can understands what you say obviously.
  • MariusFurtunaMariusFurtuna Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I learn grammar rules about 2 years and I do not feel any improvement in my English!
    But. I guess I do not exercise enough!
  • 06851987730685198773 Posts: 42 Inactive
    i think yes of course
  • LahiruLahiru Posts: 59 ✭✭
    we need Grammar but when it comes to the spoken English its hard to depend on grammar rules but with practice you eventually try to speak correct English !! @Bubbly
  • zizoutamlazizoutamla Posts: 20 ✭✭
    You've raised a very sensitive issue in the literature pertained to the dichotomous distinction of accuracy vs fluency. As far as speaking is concerned, fluency is more stressed over accuracy; meaning that the importance of grammar is reduced but not denied. As long as your message is intelligible, grammar doesn't hardly matters.
    I wouldn't go so far to say that grammar hardly matters @zizoutamla because even if you pronounce words fluently, if it is gibberish and no one understands the sense of what you're trying to say, then this is not communication. But you're right, as long as your message is intelligible, then this is communication. Fluency and grammar are still important but I believe vocabulary is the most essential.
  • zizoutamlazizoutamla Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @mheredge The british linguist Wilkins says it all " without grammar little can be conveyed, without vocabulary nothing can be conveyed"
  • macchecmacchec Posts: 11 ✭✭
    We can gather most important and most frequently used grammar rules simply by listening carefully native speakers. Sure they re not always 100 percent correct but still way above learners.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I think if you want to achieve a good level in learning language, an essential rules of grammar are you a need, but vocabulary is the most important. Many of my countryman speak without a respect to grammar rules.