Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Here are some questions to answer!

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,097 mod
If you would like to take some time to write to practice your English, it can help to have some questions to get you started. So, if you would like something to write about, simply have a look at these questions and choose one to answer. Write a paragraph or two, and I will try to correct them for you whenever I get the chance!

----

- What was your happiest memory as a child?
- When did you first go on holiday, and what was it like?
- What are your favourite animals, and why?
- What are your plans for the next year with regards to your career and family life?
- If you could write a television show, what would it be about?
- If you were the main character in a film, what would your story be?
- If you could invent one thing, and make it work, what would it be and why?

Hopefully those questions will give you something to think about!

Comments

• sammanisammani Posts: 238 ✭✭
    1).What was your happiest memory as a child?
    *In my life I already have lots of happiest memories.So in childhood I can remember one of them.It is the day of my scholarship result was issued.Normally people are very happy when they got good results at a exam,so I do.But in my case the best thing is I have passed in the cutoff mark.And also I should remember this, by then I was called idiot by my class teacher and some of class mates.So none believe that this idiot have passed the exam but my parents.So I can remember how happy I was felt.Even though the scholarship exam is a small exam,It is really important me cos I never get that happy for my other exams though I passed them well.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,514 mod
    Well done @sammani! I had the same experience. In the UK there used to be an exam that all primary school kids had to take called the 11+ that determined which kind of secondary school you would go to. The teachers were very surprised that I passed. I must have got a good grade too, as I was able to go to the school of my first choice.
  • LouiseLane0405LouiseLane0405 Posts: 137 Inactive
    1) What was your happiest memory as a child?
    I have a lot of happiest memory when I was a child, but the best memory that I would like to share is when I was in grade school, I got a perfect score of our exam in English subject. I really hate English, so when I got a perfect score in our English subject, I was surprised during that day. Then when I got home I told my mother and father about the good news, they are also surprised too and they couldn't believe that I got a perfect score in my English subject. Because they also know that I am poor when it comes to English. After a minute ago while they are looking at me, they told me that they are so proud of me. That moment, I am very happy because that was the first time I heard those words from them and I will never forget that memory.

2) When did you first go on holiday, and what was it like?
    For me a holiday is being with my family or friends and as long as I am happy being with them, wherever we are, abroad, camping, or in our backyard it doesn't matter as long as we're having fun doing it. That's fine with me. But the first holiday that I had experienced when I was 10 years old, when we went to the farm with my whole family and we did some fishing, boating, and horse riding. I had so much fun because I like do fishing and horse riding. And I remember the time that we need to go home after 4 days vacation, I don't like to go home because I want to ride the horse again and I was crying out loud and yelling during that day while we are in the bus going back home. :)

3) What are your favourite animals, and why?
    I have a lot of favourite animals but I would rather choose a butterfly, because I am so amazed at their brightly colorful wings and I like to see them flying around in our backyard and eat some pieces of flowers. I hope I could take care some of the butterflies someday in our backyard because I really want to.

4) What are your plans for the next year with regards to your career and family life?
    At this moment or the next year, I don't have any plan about family life. Because I am not sure if I can handle all the responsibilities when it comes to my own family if ever I have. I think I will prepare myself 5 years from now before I plan to have my own family someday. And with regards to my career, I want to focus first to learn English because I have a plan to work abroad. That is my priority for now.

5) If you could write a television show, what would it be about?
    I think about sex, because I want to educate teenagers nowadays about premarital sex. I want to teach them and give them some advice's how to be responsible in terms so called sex. Because nowadays, I noticed that there are a lot of teenagers became liberated. I know some of them they are lack of moral advice from their parents. So I think that's the best way that I could give them some advice's. :)

6) If you were the main character in a film, what would your story be?
    I think I will be a super hero, like a super woman. Because I really like to help other people too. And I really happy to see people smiling at me because of doing good deeds. :)

7) If you could invent one thing, and make it work, what would it be and why?
    I can't think what I could invent. Maybe I can answer this question if I can think what I would like to invent someday.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,097 mod
    Hello,

Thank you for answering my questions! I have posted all of your corrections below :)

Gemma
    sammani said:

1).What was your happiest memory as a child?

*In my life I already have lots of happiest memories.So in childhood I can remember one of them.It is the day of my scholarship result was issued.Normally people are very happy when they got good results at a exam,so I do.But in my case the best thing is I have passed in the cutoff mark.And also I should remember this, by then I was called idiot by my class teacher and some of class mates.So none believe that this idiot have passed the exam but my parents.So I can remember how happy I was felt.Even though the scholarship exam is a small exam,It is really important me cos I never get that happy for my other exams though I passed them well.

In my life I already have lots of happy memories. So in childhood I can remember one of them. It is the day my scholarship result was issued. Normally people are very happy when they get good results in an exam, so am I. But in my case the best thing was that I had passed on the cutoff mark. And also I remember that I was called an idiot by my class teacher and some of classmates. So none believed that this idiot passed the exam but my parents. So I can remember how happy I felt. Even though the scholarship exam is a small exam, it is really important to me because I never got that happy for my other exams though I passed them well.

I have a lot of happiest memory when I was a child, but the best memory that I would like to share is when I was in grade school, I got a perfect score of our exam in English subject. I really hate English, so when I got a perfect score in our English subject, I was surprised during that day. Then when I got home I told my mother and father about the good news, they are also surprised too and they couldn't believe that I got a perfect score in my English subject. Because they also know that I am poor when it comes to English. After a minute ago while they are looking at me, they told me that they are so proud of me. That moment, I am very happy because that was the first time I heard those words from them and I will never forget that memory.

For me a holiday is being with my family or friends and as long as I am happy being with them, wherever we are, abroad, camping, or in our backyard it doesn't matter as long as we're having fun doing it. That's fine with me. But the first holiday that I had experienced when I was 10 years old, when we went to the farm with my whole family and we did some fishing, boating, and horse riding. I had so much fun because I like do fishing and horse riding. And I remember the time that we need to go home after 4 days vacation, I don't like to go home because I want to ride the horse again and I was crying out loud and yelling during that day while we are in the bus going back home. :)

I have a lot of favourite animals but I would rather choose a butterfly, because I am so amazed at their brightly colorful wings and I like to see them flying around in our backyard and eat some pieces of flowers. I hope I could take care some of the butterflies someday in our backyard because I really want to.

4) What are your plans for the next year with regards to your career and family life?

At this moment or the next year, I don't have any plan about family life. Because I am not sure if I can handle all the responsibilities when it comes to my own family if ever I have. I think I will prepare myself 5 years from now before I plan to have my own family someday. And with regards to my career, I want to focus first to learn English because I have a plan to work abroad. That is my priority for now.

I think about sex, because I want to educate teenagers nowadays about premarital sex. I want to teach them and give them some advice's how to be responsible in terms so called sex. Because nowadays, I noticed that there are a lot of teenagers became liberated. I know some of them they are lack of moral advice from their parents. So I think that's the best way that I could give them some advice's. :)

I think I will be a super hero, like a super woman. Because I really like to help other people too. And I really happy to see people smiling at me because of doing good deeds. :)

I can't think what I could invent. Maybe I can answer this question if I can think what I would like to invent someday.

I have a lot of happy memories when I was a child, but the best memory that I would like to share is when I was in grade school, I got a perfect score in our exam in English. I really hated English, so when I got a perfect score in our English subject, I was surprised that day. Then when I got home I told my mother and father about the good news, they were also surprised and they couldn't believe that I got a perfect score in my English exam. Because they also knew that I was poor when it comes to English. After a minute while they were looking at me, they told me that they were so proud of me. That moment, I was very happy because that was the first time I heard those words from them and I will never forget that memory.

For me a holiday is being with my family or friends and as long as I am happy being with them, wherever we are, abroad, camping, or in our backyard it doesn't matter as long as we're having fun doing it. That's fine with me. But the first holiday that I had experienced when I was 10 years old, we went to the farm with my whole family and we did some fishing, boating, and horse riding. I had so much fun because I like fishing and horse riding. And I remember the time that we needed to go home after 4 days vacation, I didn't want to go home because I wanted to ride the horse again and I was crying out loud and yelling during that day while we were on the bus going back home. :)

I have a lot of favourite animals but I would rather choose a butterfly, because I am so amazed at their bright colorful wings and I like to see them flying around in our backyard and eating some pieces of flowers. I hope I can take care of some of the butterflies someday in our backyard because I really want to.

At this moment or during the next year, I don't have any plans about family life. Because I am not sure if I can handle all the responsibilities when it comes to my own family if ever I have one. I think I will prepare myself 5 years from now before I plan to have my own family someday. And with regards to my career, I want to focus first on learning English because I have a plan to work abroad. That is my priority for now.

I think about sex, because I want to educate teenagers nowadays about premarital sex. I want to teach them and give them some advice about how to be responsible in terms of so called sex. Because nowadays, I noticed that there are a lot of teenagers becoming liberated. I know some of them lack moral advice from their parents. So I think that's the best way that I could give them some advice. :)

I think I will be a super hero, like a super woman. Because I really like to help other people too. And I am really happy to see people smiling at me because of doing good deeds. :)

• LouiseLane0405LouiseLane0405 Posts: 137 Inactive
    @GemmaRowlands I think this is one of my greatest achievement to write a long post especially on this forum. :) Thank you for the correction Miss Gemma and welcome back. :) I really appreciated it was a big help for me all of those corrections especially in my English writing.

@GemmaRowlands I think this is one of my greatest achievement to write a long post especially on this forum. :) Thank you for the correction Miss Gemma and welcome back. :) I really appreciated it was a big help for me all of those corrections especially in my English writing.

You're welcome, it was a pleasure to correct. And thank you for the welcome - it is good to be back!
  • ScottScott Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    What was your happiest memory as a child?

As a child, every Sunday, I used to go to public bath house with my father. One Sunday, as usual, I went there with my father, carrying a banana milk with him, which was my favorite taste of milk. He put it in cold water and gave me 10 math questions. He said If I gave answers correctly to more than 5 questions, I could drink the banana milk. If I didn't, the milk would fly right into my father's throat. And if I answered all the questions, I could eat out with him after finishing shower. Of course the questions were not difficult. They were just the basic arithmetic operations, such as 5-3, 2*4, 7+9. However, the problem was I was not used to the job yet, and to solve them, I needed more fingers than I had. I was in hot water. I wanted to get out of here right into the cold water in order to drink it. I did all my efforts to do my job done. After all, I did it with a little help of someone there, who lent me his fingers. :) And I ate pizza that day.
    Hahaha @Scott! What about your toes?
  • ScottScott Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge At that time, I didn't even know that I could have used my toes. LOL
    I find it amusing to see my Nepalese friends use their knuckles when they run out of fingers @Scott.
    mheredge said:

I find it amusing to see my Nepalese friends use their knuckles when they run out of fingers @Scott.

It seems like a very sensible thing to do! I have never seen anybody here do it, though!
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 87 ✭✭
    1. What was your happiest memory as a child?
    In five class I was poor in study I got two marks out of hundred in mathematics subject In all subject together I got Ninety six out of five hundred in half early exam But after doing hard work I got Ninety six marks in Mathematics out of hundred in Madhyamik exam That was my happiest moment of my life I become Happy after remember that day

2.What are your favorite animals, and why?
    My favorite animal is cow. she is domestic animal .She is very calm in nature.Indian respect this domestic animal .They worship as a mother .They have a belief that if they worship cows they can make happy all other Gods and Goddess .She gives us milk
    that is very useful It is used to make tasty dishes like curd, Butter,Ghee etc Her dug also used for fertilizer and her baby called calf and Young calf is called Bull.Farmer use Bull for cultivation that's why In India Bull is called best friend of Farmer

3.What are your plans for the next year with regards to your career and family life?
    I don't have any plans for next year with regards to my family life and my career.
    In regarding career I want to perform good in present I m not thinking about my future
    and I am hoping future will be good

4.If you could write a television show, what would it be about??
    I would like to write a Quality Education show because I am living in India where everyone has a right to get a education but does not have a right to get a quality Education Only in few private school has quality education
    Hello,

Thank you very much for answering my questions! It is great to hear from you. I have edited your post so that it is now corrected :).

Well done!

Gemma
    mdshamsad said:

1. What was your happiest memory as a child?

In class five I was poor at studying - I got two marks out of a hundred in mathematics. In all subjects together I got ninety six out of five hundred in my half year exam. But after working hard I got ninety six marks out of a hundred in mathematics in the Madhyamik exam. That was the happiest moment of my life I became happy after remembering that day.

2.What are your favorite animals, and why?

My favorite animal is a cow. It is a domestic animal. It is very calm in nature. Indians respect this domestic animal. They worship them as a mother. They have a belief that if they worship cows they can make all other Gods and Goddesses happy. Cows gives us milk, which is very useful. It is used to make tasty dishes like curd, butter, ghee etc. Cow dung is also used for fertilizer and their babies are called calves and a young calf is called a bull. Farmers use bulls for cultivation that's why in India bulls are called the best friend of farmers.

3.What are your plans for the next year with regards to your career and family life?

I don't have any plans for next year with regards to my family life and my career.

Regarding my career I want to perform well in the present I'm not thinking about my future and I am hoping my future will be good

4.If you could write a television show, what would it be about??

I would like to write a Quality Education show because I am living in India where everyone has a right to get an education but do not have a right to get a quality Education. Only a few private schools have quality education

• mons4991mons4991 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    My happiest memory when i was a child was of my birthday. I remember seeing myself cutting cake and taking gifts from my friends and thereafter, playing games with them. And at the end being slept in the lap of my mother.

I don't remember exactly, may be i went to Nanital which is a hill station with my parents when i was a child. It was a pleasant trip.

- What are your plans for the next year with regards to your career and family life?
    Next i would love to see myself studying in any university abroad, pursuing my masters.

It would be a romantic story like a typical bollywood one which will feature a handsome rich man and his obsession towards a poor beautiful woman. The title would be "rags to riches"

The story will be of a bubbly girl and of her life, it tells how the girl lived her day fully.

It would be a magical refrigerator in which food will automatically appear at the time of closing the door. This invention of mine would help in removing hunger from the world and people will live happily there after. :smiley:
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,626 mod
    edited March 1
    mons4991 said:

My happiest memory when i was a child was of my birthday. I remember seeing myself cutting cake and taking gifts from my friends and thereafter, playing games with them. And at the end being slept in the lap of my mother.

I don't remember exactly, may be i went to Nanital which is a hill station with my parents when i was a child. It was a pleasant trip.

Next i would love to see myself studying in any university abroad, pursuing my masters.

It would be a romantic story like a typical bollywood one which will feature a handsome rich man and his obsession towards a poor beautiful woman. The title would be "rags to riches"

The story will be of a bubbly girl and of her life, it tells how the girl lived her day fully.

It would be a magical refrigerator in which food will automatically appear at the time of closing the door. This invention of mine would help in removing hunger from the world and people will live happily there after. :smiley:

Namaste @mons4991! Nice to see your responses here! Keep chiming in and get involved. ;)
    Post edited by kindgnice on
  • mons4991mons4991 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @kindgnice namaste! :smiley:
    One happy memory from my childhood was going blackberry picking and my mother making jam from what we'd collected.

My first memory of holidays away was going to Paris to visit my grandparents. We went every year for a fortnight. I used to love taking the train and ferry (I didn't like the hovercraft so much). I used to dream of the day when one train would go from London to Paris!

Plans - what plans? I prefer to muddle my way through the year.

If I were to write a TV show I guess it would have to be about travel. Likewise if I were a character in a film, she'd be travelling.

Invention: beam me up Scotty (Startrek fans will get this invention).
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge

You really seem to like traveling a lot.
    When you decide to come to Japan, let me know!