Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The Past Continuous

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,069 mod
A nice mixture of past and present:-

Comments

• SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the song except for "I'm just a jealous guy". I don't know, it sounds kind of cut off.
    He sings a bit too gently in the first part to understand easily, doesn't he?
    I'm not sure how he pronounced past and fast.
    oh and I forgot to ask about "Thought that you was trying to hide"
    Was it only to make it fit better or there's more to it?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,069 mod
    Just to make it fit. That often happens in prose and song. :)
    Yes, like in "your mama don't dance" lol
  • zohaibzohaib Posts: 133
    edited May 2014
    when someone tell others about incident which was happened in past, I was listening song

------------------

When someone tells others about an incident which happened in the past, "I was listening to a song".
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,988 mod
    edited November 2014
    When I was looking for a sales assisstant in an electric shop, I was pleased to see how many gadges they had on displays.

-------------------

While I was looking for a sales assistant in an electric shop, I was pleased to see how many gadgets they had on display.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited November 2014
    Today in the church I was sitting, because I knew it will last longer as usual.

---------------------

Today, in the church, I sat, because I knew it would last longer than usual.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited November 2014
    The other day I found my notebook again, which I was looking for quite a long time.

-------------------

The other day I found my notebook again; I had been looking for it for quite a long time.

The other day I found my notebook again. I had been looking for it for quite a long time.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    "The other day I found my notebook again, which I was looking for quite a long time."
    This sentence sounds ok to me. How about "which I was looking for for quite a long time" or "which I had been looking for for quite a long time"?

"The other day I found my notebook again, I had been looking for it for quite a long time." Why a comma and not a stop?
    @SLB, Lynne is right, because those both facts belonging together and it was in the writer`s sense.
    edited November 2014
    @Hermine‌ are you talking about "The other day I found my notebook again, I had been looking for it for quite a long time."? Do you also think that must be a comma and not a stop?
    @SLB‌ - I agree with you. It should have been a full-stop, or at least a semi-colon.

Your sentence - "...which I had been looking for for quite a long time." Would also be correct, with a comma. :)

@Hermine - Two grammatically separate sentences should not be joined with a comma, without the addition of a connecting word like - which, that, and, but etc.

The joys of cut and paste made me miss this one. :)
    B)
    edited December 2014
    I was reading hekner`s post when I saw outside a black bird eating from our new bird house.

--------------------

I was reading Hekner`s post, when I saw a black bird eating from our new bird house.

(We can make the assumption that the bird house is outside.)
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Was it a blackbird or a black bird, Hermine?
    @ In that case it was a blackbird.
    edited December 2014
    I`d been doing the newspaper round for two years, when I got a better job.

I was doing the newspaper round (for two years), when I got a better job.

Lynne, would be the second sentence right if I don`t use the time period?
    I`d been doing the newspaper round for two years, when I got a better job. = The past

I was doing the newspaper round, when I got a better job. = Implies you were actually doing the round, when you found the job.

• EnglishLearnerEnglishLearner Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thanks Lynne.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 755 ✭✭✭
    I was watching TV,When she was sleeping on the sofa and the phone was ringing, yesterday. (past continuous tense)
    @Saira

I was watching TV yesterday while she was sleeping on the sofa, and the phone was ringing. (past continuous tense)
  • deedee Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I was jogging while he was driving very fast.

----------------------

I was jogging, but he was driving very fast. (I'm not sure why you put "while" here.)

I was out jogging while he was at home stuffing his face. (That's relevant.)
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • ivy123ivy123 Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I was having lunch with my friends just now.
    @ivy123,hi, I think just now and past continuous will start fighting soon, because they do not like each other. Am I right?
    I was correcting ivy`s post, when the phone rang.
    edited November 2015
    @Hermine, depending on the context "just now" can be used in many ways. It can mean at present, in the near future, or a moment ago.

It's raining just now.
    Tell him I'll see him just now.
    I heard a noise just now.

Take Ivy's post and change just now to a moment ago:-

I was having lunch with my friends a moment ago.

Here "just now" and "a moment ago" are acting like interruptions.

So, Ivy's post is correct. Remember those exceptions I keep talking about?
    @Lynne, okay.

The prhase `just now`implies to me that the action is at this very moment. It started in the past and dragged over to present continuous. I can more handle with `a moment ago`because I picture it happend just before.

As you can see I still have to learn a lot in English.
    edited November 2015
    I was preparing breakfast, whilst my husband were telling me about the attac in France.

------------------

I was preparing breakfast, whilst my husband was telling me about the attack in France.
    Post edited by Lynne on