Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

There would be no such thing as extremism if people knew their heritage

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,141 mod
Nationalism is blamed for ending many civilizations. However, imagine how people's view might change if they discover that the people they thought they hated are actually their ancestors?

This social experiment presented by the company Momondo demonstrates how this happens.

Using personal DNA tests, people are shown how in a way, everyone is related.

http://www.trueactivist.com/brilliant-experiment-derails-nationalism-by-informing-people-of-their-heritage-watch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TrueActivist+(True+Activist)

Comments

• amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,020 mod
    Maybe we should do this on a global scale? Then we might just manage to understand that not only are we all connected on a very fundamental level but we all depend on each other hugely!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,141 mod
    And maybe it should be compulsory in all primary schools @amatsuscribbler.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,928 mod
    I think that education is vital. Many people hate because they just don't understand, and that is never good. We should take the time to explain things properly to people, and hopefully that way their tolerance will increase a lot.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭
    I think people are extremism because they are often misguided by the leader on whose principle they believe.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There are different aspects to the issue of extremism. I don't think we can only relate it to the leadership. There are many other factor behind it. But, now it is widely used as a tool to fight against your enemies.
    I think many people are angry about things that are out of their control, whether it's their government or just the local community. Then instead of trying to work out how to adapt or change things gradually, in a peaceful manner, they let their frustration burst out in violent or extreme actions in the belief they will change things this way. Sadly it never works and a lot of innocent people are often harmed in the process.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 242 ✭✭
    I think People may be a less susceptible for extremism if they would be better educated. A extremism is expression of their fear. If they don't understand the surrounding world, they are angry, unopened to changes. Many politics, religion leaders abuse it. It concerns each religion.
    @nomad81 besides fear there are certain social pressures that provoke them to do such acts. One of the biggest factor is injustice.
    nidhii said:

I think people are extremism because they are often misguided by the leader on whose principle they believe.

Yes, this is a key point for many. Extremists believe wholly in what they are doing - the leaders are always to blame.
    @Bubbly Also hopeless and a lack of perspectives has a influence for extremism. People don't see a another way for themselves. An injustice only intensifies their feeling of harm.
    Education is certainly a very important factor @nomad81. A lot of extremism seems to be an expression of pent up frustration with the system, but is not offering a valid alternative. Violence is never the answer.
    @mheredge education with awareness programmes is very important. There are many educated people who are involved in many these activities.
    mheredge said:

Education is certainly a very important factor @nomad81. A lot of extremism seems to be an expression of pent up frustration with the system, but is not offering a valid alternative. Violence is never the answer.

..and more importantly, education by the right people! Extremist leaders "educate" people to believe all kinds of things, and that is often where the trouble starts.
    @mheredge I know that violence is not the answer. The fundamental question is how we deal with extremists attacks. First reaction is using a force against them but it only escalated the problem.
    @GemmaRowlands A kind of education is very important so people who are teaching they should be broad-minded.
    Unfortunately racism seems endemic in many parts of Europe nowadays. It's not just Britain and Brexit but it's sadly extremely prevalent in many other countries too.
    nomad81 said:

@GemmaRowlands A kind of education is very important so people who are teaching they should be broad-minded.

Yes that is very true indeed. In my school we were taught to be broad minded and I like to think that we are better people because of this.
    I'm rather alarmed that Theresa May wants to bring back grammar schools @GemmaRowlands. Though I went to one myself, I think they are very elitist and that comprehensives are a much better idea.
    mheredge said:

I'm rather alarmed that Theresa May wants to bring back grammar schools @GemmaRowlands. Though I went to one myself, I think they are very elitist and that comprehensives are a much better idea.

I think there needs to be a system that benefits all children no matter what their abilities. Grammar schools benefit the most able, but that's only good if there are schools that allow the less able to thrive, too!
    @GemmaRowlands I am in favour of practical or skills based education. Simple education may not bring a lot changes. It needs to be linked with some necessary skills.
    The problem is that many youngsters would prefer to work in a nice clean, comfortable office and don't want to get their hands dirty @Bubbly.
    @mheredge that is why the concept of enterprise development is getting popular day by day. Corporate culture has almost ruined the concept of self employment!
  • steins2017steins2017 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    We are all humans. There are no races. There is only human race. A friend told me that.
    Sadly it seems to be inherent in many cultures to see humans as not always equal @steins2017. Whether it is social class, caste, colour, religion, language (accent), there are many things that make people seem 'different.'
    @mheredge I know what you mean. There are a lot of people like that especially in developing countries like mine. Due to not caring about human rights, many people are poor and treated to be more inferior by the rich ones. Also due to misunderstanding of religions, many people see themselves more superior than others and may even consider it forbidden to be good to people of other religions.
    I don't like hypocrisy either @steins2017. I thought all religions essentially say the same: treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
    @mheredge actually there is only one religion that was revealed to us by Allah. it just happened through stages and religion does say that. People are the ones who either misunderstand or don't follow religion and disobey.
    Thought provoking! But, human beings like to remain in a group or a category just for their survival!

We are all humans. There are no races. There is only human race. A friend told me that.

Many people like divide a human for groups or category. Especially politicians like to do it. On the other hand I often ask myself where is a border among preaching religion and public area.