Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Would a work-free world be so bad?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 27,105 mod
If you didn't have to go to work, what would you do with your time? Would you miss work? Some people live for work and when they retire, have nothing to fill their time. If you had a choice, (money no object), would you want to still go to work?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/would-a-world-without-work-be-so-bad/488711/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Comments

• YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Probably not

Do a part time job to kill time may be~
  • BerniBerni Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I am having a lot of spare time for the last two days. My internship winded down and I am doing like a part time job for students right now. I do not have many hours, so mostly I am at home. I am trying to spend my time for studying and seeking for new internships, however it is hard for me to find enough motivation. It occured to me that I am pretty much more organized and effective, when my agenda is full.Therefore, I do not think that peope who have been working for 20 years, can adjust them easily to a non-working situation. Especially if they are alone, or kids are having own families and living their own lives.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,347 mod
    I have plenty of things that I would want to do with my time, including getting involved with a number of charities, spending more time with friends and family, and getting fit. But of course the world would grind to a halt if nobody worked at all.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    Kill time @Yin! Murderer. >:)

I know what you mean @Berni. The busier I am, the more efficient I am too. It's when I don't have much to do, things take twice as long and I tend to get forgetful. I like to have a purpose. Hence on my holiday in Colombia, I'm studying Spanish as well as visiting the local places of interest as a tourist.
  • BerniBerni Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @mheredge I am coruios if, Colombia is a safe place for holiday?
    mheredge said:

I know what you mean @Berni. The busier I am, the more efficient I am too.

This is the same with me! Sometimes I can make one simple task span out for the whole day, but for some reason when I have loads to do I can simply power through work.
    At the moment I'm struggling with a problem of 'not enough hours in the day' @GemmaRowlands. Even starting by 7am I can't seem to get through all I want to for my Spanish classes, sorting through emails and the usual inevitable chores by the time I turn in at around midnight. From next week I won't have classes, so perhaps I can slow down a bit.
  • fdlzrfdlzr Posts: 14 ✭✭
    IMHO, Life without work is absolutely pathetic.
    Even someday I have financial security , I want and should work. Very hard instead.
    Because from philosophical point of view, I think that we can only fulfil our life if we work as harder as we can for the entire life.
    So at the end, we can smile flash backing our maximum contribution to the life.
    And that is ultimate joyness.
    I like the idea that life is not just about work @fdlzr. I think it is good to have a balance. Work hard but play hard too!
  • fdlzrfdlzr Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @mheredge
    Yeah, Agree.
    So that I always doing my jobs / works with fun.
    When if I face the difficulty or stressor - I always search the fun part of those side.
    So I dont feel stress at all doing all my works.

In the work hard I find the play-hardness.
    That's not quite what I meant @fdlzr, though it does help if your work can be fun too. What I meant is that 'all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_work_and_no_play_makes_Jack_a_dull_boy
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a big BREAK from my work!
    How much holiday do you get @Bubbly? Do you get a few weeks paid leave each year?
    @mheredge 30 leaves in a year. But, on special events like Ramadan and Eid, we have extra paid holiday. I feel that I am seriously burnout as I almost dragged myself to the office today.
    That's very good @Bubbly! But does this also include public holidays? In the UK there are eight days of national holidays like Christmas and New Year. Then starting with 20 days a year paid holiday, usually this increases as you work longer and up the pay grades. Long servers and senior staff usually don't get much more than 28 days a year though.
    @mheredge not a big difference. But, I don't take these holidays as people don't work upto the mark.
    This is why you're so tired @Bubbly! You need to take a break.
    @mheredge I may quit this job soon!
    Take your holiday first @Bubbly. You might chance your mind, or you might get a chance to work out better what to do.
    mheredge said:

At the moment I'm struggling with a problem of 'not enough hours in the day' @GemmaRowlands. Even starting by 7am I can't seem to get through all I want to for my Spanish classes, sorting through emails and the usual inevitable chores by the time I turn in at around midnight. From next week I won't have classes, so perhaps I can slow down a bit.

Well I understand this feeling quite a lot at the moment, and I am struggling to fit everything in right now - particularly this week! But I am hoping that it will calm down soon, and I am off work for two weeks soon for my summer holiday, so I am just looking forward to that as much as I can.
    It's good to take a break and recharge the batteries @GemmaRowlands. Where are you going for your holiday?
    I tried but I couldn't get yet. I will search out for another job first and then I will quit as I am almost burnout these days.
    mheredge said:

Take your holiday first @Bubbly. You might chance your mind, or you might get a chance to work out better what to do.

I'm meeting lots of people who are taking a few months off. There are a few who are just taking a few weeks holiday, but especially for Europeans, it's a long way to come for a short time.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    (Proverbs 6:6-11)
    6. Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
    7. Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
    8. Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
    9. How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
    10. Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
    11. So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

In the today's world knowing to do a job (or a market share) isn't enough. One must best others to have a job. It applies equally to people, companies and nations. This drives the progress.
  • AhmedZanoonAhmedZanoon Posts: 31 ✭✭
    i thank to work from home is so easy
  • nasrul121nasrul121 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    if dont do any work we r getting bored at home
  • AhmedZanoonAhmedZanoon Posts: 31 ✭✭
    i will not work all day i will have some fun
    How would you spend your time @AhmedZanoon? If we have nothing to do @nasrul121 I agree that this would be very boring, but it doesn't have to be work. There are many other things to do to keep busy.
    I am also planning to work from home. May be some assignments as a consultant!!

i thank to work from home is so easy

• JanatJanat Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I will work online soon.