Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Brexit

LynneLynne TeachHomePosts: 9,752 mod
edited June 2016 in Archived News 2017
Brits are trying to work out when to get their holiday money.

The value of the pound has been fluctuating as the money markets speculate on Thursday's vote.

Yesterday, it hit €1.30, up from €1.26 last week.

The uncertainty surrounding the referendum is impacting holidaymakers trying to budget for cash spending abroad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ask-a-money-expert/pound-is-up-475pc-ahead-of-brexit-poll-should-i-buy-dollars-or-e/
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,819 mod
    I don't think anyone knows. I bought a pile of US dollars yesterday, as whatever the effect on the pound, I reckon it will ricochet over to the euro, though hopefully with maybe slightly less impact on the US dollar.
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,752 mod
    In last night's Kitely session on Brexit I warned @Zom that this could happen, and sadly I was right. 52% vote for Leave. Which means that thanks to the idiots who run the country at the moment the Leave campaign has won. Bigots win, fearmongers win, liars win, and the rest of us bury our heads in our hands and weep.

Scotland will definitely leave now, Northern Ireland are already demanding a referendum, and Wales will probably follow.

The old Chinese curse comes to mind, "May you live in interesting times".
    Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London said, "There is no need to panic".

I think he should have said, "There is no need to panic, yet".
    I was appalled to read that many Brexiters now 'regret' their vote and thought Leave would never win @Lynne. Also it's sad that mostly older people voted out, while younger people voted Remain. The oldsters weren't listening to what young people want for their futures. :'(
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @mheredge @Lynne my heart is with you. I know that it is difficult to accept this situation especially when Europe is facing the financial crunch and economic instability. David Cameron must have apologised to Brits before stepping down.

Who is going to conduct the next EU referendum?

France, I think!
    Maybe @Bubbly, but I doubt they'd be stupid enough to allow a 52:48 win. Remember how the Scots had to reach 55%?

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,310 mod
    #regrexit is trending topic on social media. Many Brits regret the fact they've voted for Brexit. They say if there would be a re-election now, Britain would certainly remain in. There are lots of Brits that search in Google for: What will be the consequences if Britain leaves the EU. They should have done that earlier.
    This is why it would be a very good idea to have a second referendum @Frank!
    edited June 2016
    @Frank I think Brits have started accepting this reality. Now, they are talking about the benefits of this Brexit.

Meanwhile there is a petition against EU referendum.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
    Post edited by Bubbly on
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,310 mod
    @Bubbly I've been speaking to some expats from Britain here in Holland. They haven't started to accept this reality at all. They are quite worried what the new situation will bring to them. And although I'm not British myself, it still worries me very much. I think it's a big pity. We should be united, not separated. I hope the petition will be successful. It would be good if the British youth wakes up and gets a chance to vote again. Unfortunately however, I think this change is very small.
    There have been several referendums on issues with larger majorities that have not been acted upon, or a second referendum has been called @Frank. So there is always a slim chance that maybe the government will see sense in time to avert what is increasingly seen as a WHOOPING BIG MISTAKE!

edited June 2016
    @Frank @mheredge what about those who are still celebrating it as an independence day!? My concern is what will happen to all those immigrants who have been struggling since long to finally earn something. I don't think that this petition will bring some miraculous outcomes but let then give their second opinion. I am sure Scotish people have made up their mind for another referendum.
    What is worthy queen thinking about this situation?
    Sadly this 51.8% vote has given the nastier side of the UK a sense of empowerment, even though many people voted Leave on matters other than immigration.
    Today's top tweet!

Since Britain left the EU, global economy has lost 2 trillion dollars and the markets are to open tomorrow. More turmoil.
    Interestingly I've found that now the main topic Brexiters are saying motivated them to vote leave is on sovereignty @Lynne.

I learned a new word, facepalm, reading this article about a journalist's reation to Farage: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/29/nigel-farage-made-me-facepalm-hide-despair?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=The+Best+of+CiF+base&utm_term=179706&subid=11006640&CMP=ema_1364

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facepalm
    Nigel Farage!!!

Yes the Daily Telegraph bangs on about British sovereignty, but the paper is owned by David and Frederick Barclay. Need I say more?

I'm pretty sure the UK will soon be a cozy little tax haven.
    It's already a major world centre for money laundering @Lynne!
    Yes, it's funny how suddenly there was a referendum.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I think UK has very strong politics and ecomics so Brexit doesnt effect so much to it.
    @MARGOWN really! You are really underestimating the power of 52% Brits who didn't think about it. :)
  • sergio_rocersergio_rocer Posts: 8
    I think that the Brexit isn't the end of the world.. but in other hand i think that the people from UK will be the principal causalities....
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,812 mod
    In the UK older people vote for ˋ leaveˋ and the younger people vor ˋ remain. And now my question, as fas as I know live there more younger people and anyway it was voted vor ˋ leaveˋ. The younger people wanted to remain. Didnˋt they go to the pollstation.

I say: If you sleep in a democratic reign you coud easily weak up in a dictate. Look out!!!
    Keeping the current leadership in mind, I think she has something big in her mind.

There's an investigation to see how this story was leaked as it seems it is not true @Bubbly. In fact the Queen made a speech recently which showed that she was not at all in favour of Brexit. This is the sort of disinformation that persuaded many Brexiters to vote Leave.
    @mheredge somehow I am convinced that people now try to go over Brexit from new perspectives. The news will evaporate soon and people will accept it.
    I still don't know @Bubbly. I think a lot of people have become resigned to it surprisingly quickly, but they still haven't resolved the legal point that Parliament needs to vote on it which of course might end up confirming the referendum. The Chancellor is cutting corporation tax in a bit to attract foreign investment and to encourage the Chinese in particular. A very dangerous move!
    Oh and Farage has also decided to 'retire' in order 'to get his life back'. Isn't it curious how two of the main protagonists for Brexit have pulled out of the limelight?