Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is a mamil?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,949 mod
You probably know what a mammal is, but what is a mamil?

A mamil is a middle aged man in lycra. According to the Oxford English dictionary it describes a middle-aged man who is a very keen road cyclist, typically one who rides an expensive bike and wears the type of clothing associated with professional cyclists'.

Tagged:

Comments

• KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like me I think :D
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,894 mod
    Oh there are lots of mamils going up and down the Promenade des Anglais in Nice!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best MAMIL of 2016 :mrgreen:
    text
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I feel reluctant to wear in a cyclist's lycra. I'm willing to lose some speed for not wearing that pant.

------------------

I am reluctant to wear cyclist's lycra. I'm willing to lose some speed for not wearing those pants.

I am reluctant to dress in cyclist's lycra. I'm willing to lose some speed for not wearing those pants.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I'm not convinced @Shiny03. You see far better specimens of mamils flexing their muscles along the Promenade des Anglais, I promise you.
  • krishnasilkrishnasil Posts: 12 ✭✭
    @Lynne Mamil is a middle aged man who rides an expensive racing bicycle for leisure, wearing professional style body-hugging bicycle jerseys and bicycle shorts.
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Mamil stands for middle- aged man in lycra.
    mheredge said:

I'm not convinced @Shiny03. You see far better specimens of mamils flexing their muscles along the Promenade des Anglais, I promise you.

I'm trying my best. :mrgreen:

text

text
    I was going to ask whether there's such a thing as a mamilette? I saw a woman in lycra cycling yesterday.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the fedinition of mamil then I can see many mamils around. LOL
    Really? In Pakistan @Bubbly?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge more symbolic in meaning. But, few cyclists ride regularly in Margilla Hills cycling tracks near to Islamabad.

The only mamils I've seen in Nepal are middle aged foreigners cycling around on mountain bikes.
    edited November 2016
    It was introduced on TV about reusing the former railway. It said it became very popular, especially among foreign tourists.
    Do you know it? or have you ever tried it?
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    The most controversial question of the local cycling enthusiasts is whether they should or shouldn't shave legs. Starting a discussion on this is one of the best trolling instruments for their message boards. The pro- party would insist that all professionals do it, presenting unobvious arguments, the contra would be unwilling to support such a paederastic practice. The same is about wearing the cycling shorts with a crotch cushion and suspenders, which are known here as 'homoshorts'. Though, one can always mask them by wearing usual shorts over.
    My internet connection is too feeble to play your video so I couldn't see where this railway is @Shiny03. In the UK, there are quite a few places where old railway lines have been converted to nature walks. It's a very good idea.
  • ObaiObai Posts: 6
    Thanks google :D "Mamil or MAMIL (an acronym standing for "middle-aged man in lycra".) is someone who rides an expensive racing bicycle for leisure, wearing professional style body-hugging jerseys and shorts. The word was reportedly coined by British marketing research firm Mintel in 2010."

Thank you @Lynne I've just learnt that:) but that problem, how I can keep that in mind since it's not that much used in my daily business language!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,508 mod
    edited January 11
    I thought you're talking about EMAILs? Oh my, I'm really snowed under at the moment. My eyes are kidding me... :) @Lynne :D
    Post edited by kindgnice on
    I'm happy to say that mamils don't seem to have made their appearance in Vietnam yet! Lots of local people and tourists use bicycles but I think loose cotton clothes are the preferred dress here, where even in winter it is hot.
    'even in winter it is hot'....oh, I wish I could just teleport myself there right now.
    Today was hot but in the summer, apparently it hits 45 degrees Celsius @Shiny03. I was melting in January.
    :open_mouth: Then, I'll just stay here...
    I have to say I'm quite looking forward to the cool weather in Nepal @Shiny03. It was hot and humid today and though normally I don't like air conditioning, I can see how it has its uses.
    How do Nepalis survive from those scalding days? @mheredge :open_mouth:
    In the summer it can be quite hot in the south of Nepal @Shiny03 but in Kathmandu it is very moderate in summer and winter.