Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Global Warming

roshanjnyroshanjny Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited August 2016 in The weather
Do you believe global warming is making an impact on the weather?

----------------------

Do you believe global warming is having an impact on the weather?
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,808 mod
    We can pretend it's not happening until we can't pretend any more.

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I believe in every climate change that is going on around us and we are not taking it seriously.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,530 mod
    I agree with @Bubbly @roshanjny. Especially in the Himalayas, it is very obvious that the climate is changing and making a big impact.
    Clean drinking water is not available in many countries and it is going to become a big disaster in upcoming days as water is a big carrier of many germs. Who is thinking about it?
    Clean drinking water is perhaps a separate issue @Bubbly. As long as there is water, there is the technology available to make it potable. It's more a case of priorities and supply.
    @mheredge I don't see any chances of new technology related to clean water. Do you know 80 to 90 percentage diseases are due to water in many Asian countries. People don't even have access to the drinking water. In Thakparker (a dessert area in Pakistan), women travel for long to fetch some water for drinking.

@Bubbly what about desalination?

I visited an island off Cannes a week or so back and was wondering how they managed with drinking water. I was told that they have a desalination plant and use sea water that is processed to make it potable.

When I Googled desalination, I learned that the saline water of the Thames is treated in the UK to provide additional drinking water for up to a million people per day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Water_Desalination_Plant

This is another desalination plant in Barcelona that uses reverse osmosis.

The technology is there.

This discussion has been closed.