Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How can music improve our English skills?

nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
i mean come on, i cannot even know poetry.
however, some of songs have rhymes that easy listening, like Frankie Valli's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"
or easy to understand like Eminem's "Loose Yourself" even though Eminem is a rapper (rythm and poems, maybe).

btw, let us check Eminem's:
"His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti"

Mom's spaghetti? really? is that a metaphore or just to make a rhyme?
or maybe we can take an example from AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", personally, it's kind of easy listening but hard to understanding.
So personally, music does not help me understanding english but lyric does.

What about you guys?

Comments

• 211988211988 Posts: 62 Inactive
    the music so important to improve listening but try to listen easy song to understand and try to raise your level by listen to different songs
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    English music can help us understand the culture or vogue, but not much help for improving English skills. That's my opinion. It just let us to keep interesting on English.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @SuiQi, I'm new to listening to English music, but it got me hooked. I've been learning a lot about how to use words, phrasal verbs and I've been discovering lots of informal expressions. They take me on a path to use English more naturally.

It also might open a door to discover a culture. For example I love listening to Half Man Half Biscuit, in their songs they bring a lot of British references about British TV/radio programmes, British people, British food, British way of doing things, etc. They help me to get a feel, start to picture of what it means to be British. It's a nice add-on when you learn a language to be able to discover the culture that lay behind.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't agree with you more. @Zom

Actually, we can learn English through listening to English songs. To listen to songs is likened to read novels.
    The difference between them is just shorter and concise. It's interesting to read those lyrics and learn how
    they used their words to compose a story (a song) and to express their thoughts and feeling.

Furthermore, the most coolest thing is we can discuss them together on the forum. There are a bunch of enlightened elites here to share their opinions with us. Above all, I highly recommend that you should join us on English Radio group. Come with us, dig and delve.

• pratyushbatpratyushbat Posts: 34 ✭✭
    slowly but it contributes
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Yes it is. We can ignore all that grammatical error
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    oh wait.. I just answered my own question...
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the music my best way to improve my listening and speaking if you understand what you listen already you speak very well and you can find some phrasal verbs and Idioms and some expression
  • GlaucoftGlaucoft Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I believe it's a set of factors help us to learn and improve our English skills.

The music can help, because it's so easy to memorize an expression, for instance, but we need to know how to write the words sung in the music, so the lyrics it's important too. After that we need to use the new word/expression to memorize them.

It's important to start with easy songs, to you continues listening and learning, otherwise you'll give up.

If you analyse songs that you like will help to learn in a pleasant way.

This site: www.977music.com/ has a lot of genres and show the lyrics too.

Enjoy it ;)
  • melgüv13melgüv13 Posts: 4
    In my opinion, music helps a lot by improving english skills.. if you hear a song often you will keep the words in your mind.. on this way can you learn to transfer each sentences or words in an other context
  • melgüv13melgüv13 Posts: 4
    Of course if the text makes sence