Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Jokes about the in-laws

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 25,675 mod
edited August 2016 in Humour
Mother-in-law jokes are the most common, but sister-in-law jokes too never fail to raise a laugh.

Why is it that mother-in-laws are so often portrayed as demons from hell? “Two men were in a pub. One says to his mate, “My mother-in law is an angel.” His friend replies, “You’re lucky. Mine is still alive.”

Fathers-in-law are depicted as totally bereft at losing their daughters: “Question: Why would you rather deal with a vicious dog than your father -in-law?
Answer: A vicious dog eventually lets go!!”

Sons-in-laws are usually shown as inadequate but lovable idiots: “A golfer hits a ball and it misses the green by inches. His partner says, ‘That’s called a son-in-law shot. It is not what you expected, but you will take it.’”

Question: What is the definition of mixed feelings?
Answer: When your Maserati goes over a cliff with your mother-in-law in it.

But do these jokes hint at the truth in how people feel about their in-laws?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,170 mod
    I have been lucky with my MIL, she is lovely, but the jokes are still funny.
    I haven't spoken to my MIL for two years. We haven't quarrelled, I just don't like to interrupt her.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    Mother-in-laws in India and Nepal can have a very bad reputation. The wife often ends up having to live in the same house as her in-laws and sometimes becomes almost a slave to her husband's mother.
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Sorry, But this is not suitable for everyone even you don't say like this for everyone . It happens everywhere. In my case I am lucky because I have good relationships with my in-laws.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge not only in Nepal but in almost every Asian country, ML is the ruling authority.
    You're very fortunate @Anurada. I don't everyone is so lucky though.
    @mheredge Yes,I am blessed with luck.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,677 mod
    I don't have a partner at the moment, but my previous partner's parents were friendly enough to me. Although they both hate my ex-partner's brother's wife and said terrible things about her behind her back - so maybe they did the same to me. I don't know, but I don't really care anymore either!
    Families @GemmaRowlands! My parents never had any problems at all with any of their in-laws. And my sister's husband is wonderful in how he takes care of his mother-in-law.
  • MariaEnglish33MariaEnglish33 Posts: 7
    I am also lucky enough to get lovable in-laws. The only thing is that my parents and in-laws need my presence. Sometimes, this may put me in a dilemma.
    @MariaEnglish33 You presence may make them happy. :)
    @Xanthippe what does it mean? :)

• navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Office executive – Sir, can I have a day off next week to visit my mother-in-law?
    Boss – Certainly not!
    Office executive – Thank you so much sir! I knew you would be understanding.

Hahaha @Bubbly! Polish mother-in-laws I can imagine might always have the last word! Is this so @Xanthippe? Mind you, mother-in-laws usually do, don't they?
    I am not married so I have nothing to say based on my direct experiences but about others in my family, I think about their mother-in-law really respectfully and with admiration!!
    I think it is related to people characteristics.Some one is angry all the time so if she be your MIL then you will suffer a lot!! :D
    Am I right @Bubbly ?!
    mheredge said:

Families @GemmaRowlands! My parents never had any problems at all with any of their in-laws. And my sister's husband is wonderful in how he takes care of his mother-in-law.

I am glad to hear that you have a good experience of in-laws. I hope that when I finally get married this will be the case for me, too.
    @GemmaRowlands I wish for you and I know you will get good In laws soon. Finger crossed and good luck. BTW when you will get married? sorry personal question. I am just curious to know.:)
    edited July 2016
    @MariaEnglish33 This is always happen with me. In some situations when everyone is there I am so confused what to do and how can I manage. I always stuck in between everyone. But at last I know they love me a lot.:)

I am not married so I have nothing to say based on my direct experiences but about others in my family, I think about their mother-in-law really respectfully and with admiration!!
    I think it is related to people characteristics.Some one is angry all the time so if she be your MIL then you will suffer a lot!! :D
    Am I right @Bubbly ?!

Sorry guys,
    here is a correction:I am not married so I have nothing to say based on my direct experiences but about others in my family,they think about their mother-in-law really respectfully and with admiration!!
    edited July 2016
    @navidafrasiabian I think it depends how do you take this relationship. There are certain stereotypes associated with ML that is one cause of looking at the negative side only.
    Post edited by Bubbly on
    Anurada said:

@GemmaRowlands I wish for you and I know you will get good In laws soon. Finger crossed and good luck. BTW when you will get married? sorry personal question. I am just curious to know.:)

I don't know when I will get married, because at the moment I don't even have a boyfriend, so getting married will be a long way away for me yet.
    edited July 2016
    Harry was travelling down a country road in his native Yorkshire, England when he saw a large group of people outside a farmhouse.

It was a cold January afternoon, so he stopped and asked Farmer Giles why such a large crowd of men was gathered there.

The farmer replied, 'Eddie's donkey kicked his mother-in-law and she died.'

'Well,' replied the man, 'She must have had a lot of friends.'

'Nope,' said Giles.' We all just want to buy his donkey.'
    A pharmacist tells a customer, 'In order to buy arsenic you need a legal prescription. A picture of your mother-in-law just isn't enough.' :D
    Fred and Rick were in a pub. Fred says to his mate, 'My mother-in-law is an angel.'
    Rick replies, 'You're lucky. Mine is still alive.'
    @GemmaRowlands all the best:) I know You will find your life partner soon.
    A golfer hit a ball and it missed the green by inches. His partner said to him, ‘That’s called a son-in-law shot. It is not what you expected, but you will take it.’
    Bubbly said:

A pharmacist tells a customer, 'In order to buy arsenic you need a legal prescription. A picture of your mother-in-law just isn't enough.' :D

That's very funny! I think it's a real shame when people hate their in-laws to this extent, though!
    Poor mother-in-laws! But I have heard of some who really are like wicked witches. Their son's are mummy's boys and can do no wrong, but the daughter-in-law is never right, especially if she is seen to have usurped the mother's place as number one woman in the guy's life.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly, @mheredge, it is funny. :) But I have no idea why Polish mothers-in-law are considered to be worse. :) :) :)
    @Xanthippe may be they like to take the full advantage of democracy in their country.