Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you read English when English is your second language?

RoseOZRoseOZ Posts: 54 ✭✭
Reading in English drives me nut. I want to solve my trouble in reading English. Some people say that my writing ability sometimes is not correct and natural as natives (wrong words, wrong collocation, etc). I think Reading can help me exit circumstance. However, I face troubles in reading English. Can you show me your experience, your method, your suitable documents in Reading English?
THANK YOU.

Comments

• I_AmberI_Amber Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Texts containing brand new words drive me to know them. B) O love learning new vocabs... The best way to learn English is to read.
    By checking the dictionary, I know the synonyms, antonyms, pronunciation and much more. Well, I use an electronic dictionary too. I wonder do you all use that? It's as portable as a smartphone.

Learning English with my dictionary makes my journey easier. :)

Of course, another difficult part is to use the right words. Sometimes there are better words to be used but we don't realise it. @RoseOZ You can tell me your common problems more detailed, I will try my best to help you~ :#
  • RoseOZRoseOZ Posts: 54 ✭✭
    @I_Amber I cannot use right collocations. I have bought the collocation dictionary, however, I cannot learn by heart them. I live in a non-english country. I only use fluently n naturally what I use often, of course, it accounts for a little. Sometimes, I truly hate english language. I wanna burn english documents. Why do I learn it? I cannot absorb knowledge. I cannot comprehend english newspaper. I read it, however, writing is still stand. No one fixes my writing. Even, I have to self-study writing, n receive pressure from family, they hate me studying. I wanna learn well, yet my ability cannot. I receive too much advice, yet I am not successful. I don't wanna study it in a long time anymore. I cannot remember english structures n grammar n rules, I do not know how to form question (because rarely make question while studying). I cannot listen to english. All troubles drive me nut. I am exhausted.
    I'm angry, because today, it is not unhappy. I hate english, I hate who punish n bully me.
  • I_AmberI_Amber Posts: 26 ✭✭
    @RoseOZ Cheer up! Learning is a treasure given by God, which is very priceless I've to say. I live in a country which English is not a second language either but I still try my best to get what I aspire- to learn and master English. I see, you're trying hard to learn English by your own which I understand your feeling and conflicts faced but trust me, learning something, especially a language is a life- long language so don't we rush things and keep calm. ;) Any problems, you can just consult us. I'm not considered the best but I'm ready to help too. KEEP CALM AND HAPPY LEARNING!
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RoseOZ welcome back Lien. :)

Learning English as a second language is fun. Sometimes, my mind accepts it easily and sometimes my mind gives some unique logic to it and I do mistakes. But, it is a matter of practice and practice it with the right people is a key to success.
  • LahiruLahiru Posts: 57 ✭✭
    well it doesn't matter to make mistake i am also learning english as secound language so cheer up !!!
    @Lahiru Yes. We should focus on the learning part and mistakes are the compulsory part of learning. We learn through mistakes.
  • phieyphiey Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I think it is depend of what are you reading at that moment. I was Ok to read light novel or news in English, but I was often give up reading scientific journal. But, at some point I have to force my self to enjoy reading it.
  • sohnisohni Posts: 42 ✭✭
    English reading is not a problem at all because I have been reading English since childhood as a subject plus all other subjects like science,social studies,history even my bachelor's subject they all are in English,but yes still want to read English to improve my vocabulary which will in turn improve my speaking as well
    @sohni The only challenge is to improve your conversational skills and for that many people don't keep patience initially and quit after sometime. But, I think if you put some efforts, you get some positive outcomes.
  • sohnisohni Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @Bubbly I do agree with you, keep on going and struggling lead to success