Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Frugging

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,069 mod
Seemingly the frug was a dance in the 1960s, but frugging appears to have 2 meanings nowadays:-

In market research, frugging is "fund-raising under the guise of research". For example, when someone purports to be a market researcher conducting a statistical survey, when in reality the "researcher" is attempting to sell you something.

@Zom - On a more criminal note, it is a mix of "friendly" and "mugging". It occurs when someone (or a group of people) pretends to be really friendly, and hugs you, but when they are gone you realise your watch, jewellery and wallet are missing.

Comments

• ZomZom Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friendly mugging to relieve me from my wallet. Friendly! I guess I'll have to stroll the streets of Barcelona like I do in some parts of Paris. Nothing in my pockets and no backpack on my back.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,311 mod
    In Rio De Janeiro @Zom I was advised to stuff a little money in my sock and walk around without a bag, jewellery or even a watch. Sounds like the same tactic. Where in Paris do you have to be this careful? St Denis?
  • ZomZom Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never felt any danger in Saint Denis, Aubervilliers or Montreuil.

But streets around the Gare du Nord, the Barbes boulevard, all along the metro line 2 and line 4 are pickpockets and other survivors favourite places. Never mind whether you're a local or a tourist.

As for frugging they rather gather around touristy spots featured in travelling guides. I rarely go there during the peak season.
  • YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Thanks @Lynne for sharing and i have encountered friendly mugging when i was in Italy and Spain during backbag travel. But, we havn't lost anything finally.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,069 mod
    edited May 2016
    Glad to hear it @Yin.

I had my purse nicked on the Tube in London. It was my first trip away on my own!

I also lost a camera once. I was in the Alps, up a mountain (believe it or not). I took a group photo, using the timer, and left it on the rock by mistake. I went back after about 1 minute, but it had gone. Maybe a mountain goat took it.
  • RemaRema Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @Lynne, that's for sure, mountain goat took it to take a picture with family members :D
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,311 mod
    The guesthouse where I stayed last night it turns out, do a good job in misleading people into thinking that they are the guest house next door, which is much nicer and cheaper. They put their number as 9/11 when in fact they are number 9 and when asked if they are Vila 11 (at number 11), they mislead guests by taking them into their guesthouse instead. It turns out that the owner an elderly lady in her 70 was a professional pickpocket! What a surprise. Luckily I found out my mistake this morning and for my last night I'm staying at number 11, which is infinitely better.
This discussion has been closed.