Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How about this invention

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,802 mod
A new invention might save you money. Called The Pavlok, it is a wristband that can connect to your online bank account, and will deliver an electric shock if you go overdrawn, or go over a preset spending limit.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Maybe we could reprogram it to deliver a shock every time you use the wrong preposition, or article. :wink:
Tagged:

Comments

• ScottScott Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Wow! Electric shock. If that device were applied to English-language using, I would be charged with full of electricity. :) But, anyway, I'd like to use it at least once :smiley:
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    If I used it whilst learning German it would be the same for me.

Welcome back Scott. :smile:

• abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @Lynne Lol.. Definitely it will help me then.
    But I guess I will remove that band if it gives more shock
    So I guess it should be fixed in our hand permanently :lol:
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    Do people really need this to stop them going overdrawn @Lynne? But zapping grammar mistakes is a good idea. A lot of native speakers might find it hard not to get a shock.
  • anjalibajaj12anjalibajaj12 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    It would b very helpful for me when I try to speak punjabi in front of my parents and end up with mixing different words together.
    I think most languages nowadays are mixing words and so long as they understand @anjalibajaj12 you don't have to worry!
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 204 ✭✭
    or maybe, but i need to know how much power comes from the wristband, we can create portable power plan to charge our electrical device.
    (or no?)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
  • scorpionscorpion Posts: 16 ✭✭
    wonder ful
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    I like this idea! I think it would serve as a great reminder for those of us who don't really know what's going on in our bank accounts. As for learning English, perhaps it would work there, too!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were used for grammar especially using the wrong articles, I would get a lot of shocks in a day. ;)
  • EstevaoEstevao Posts: 32 ✭✭
    > @Lynne said:
    > A new invention might save you money. Called The Pavlok, it is a wristband that can connect to your online bank account, and will deliver an electric shock if you go overdrawn, or go over a preset spending limit.
    >
    > Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
    >
    > Maybe we could reprogram it to deliver a shock every time you use the wrong preposition, or article. :wink:

:) I'm laughing up to now... :) That was amazing @Lynne
    It would be really awesome if they adapted to prepositions and gerunds.
    I think Lynne mentioned a variation on this but the invention I want developed is a translator that automatically translates into any language I want as I speak through it!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    mheredge said:

I think Lynne mentioned a variation on this but the invention I want developed is a translator that automatically translates into any language I want as I speak through it!

Now, that would be an absolute dream! It would certainly make learning new languages a lot easier.
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    We might take it as a joke but I have an intuition one day we will have something like this might be not exactly like this something which is similar and help us to learn English in a systematic way. :smile:
  • JeyasriJeyasri Posts: 63 ✭✭
    OMG.Is it electric shock ? I am so shocked.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I think Lynne mentioned a variation on this but the invention I want developed is a translator that automatically translates into any language I want as I speak through it!

Hi @mheredge look that: sciencealert.com/these-new-earbuds-can-translate-languages-for-you-in-real-time
    My biggest problem is not understanding so much as speaking @Estevao.
    [quote="mheredge;153385"]My biggest problem is not understanding so much as speaking @Estevao. [/quote]

So do I. I have been trying almost every day with natives, but it's not been easy.
    By the way, despite these new ears buds be a good idea, neither all people will be access. Further, maybe it won't work well because it's not easy translate complex sentences.
    @Jeyasri I need this wristband as whenever I go shopping with my sisters, I come back with an empty wallet. :(
  • JeyasriJeyasri Posts: 63 ✭✭
    @Bubbly What are you telling ? If you get that wristband you may get full electric shock.
    ha ha.
    @Jeyasri electric shocks are better than mental shocks. ;)
    Oh I'm not sure if I fancy getting an electric shock @Bubbly. I haven't received any serious ones, but one time was in a flat where the power sockets were definitely unsafe and I did get a bit of a shock a few times when unplugging things from one particular wall socket.
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    oops Then I will get maximum shocks due to bad grammar.
    Me too when it comes to Spanish pronunciation @Anurada!
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge lol it means we are in same queue.
    I read about a beat application that's supposed to be able to identify birds when you take a photo and submit it to your app. I think so far it's only for a limited number of North American species though.
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 204 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    > @mheredge said:
    > I read about a beat application that's supposed to be able to identify birds when you take a photo and submit it to your app. I think so far it's only for a limited number of North American species though.

did you mean just like Pokedex technology from Pokemon?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly Next time, go shopping with me. I'm the death of go-shopping. I promise you'll save lots of money,
    because I'll constantly nag you thousands of reasons why you should not buy those things. But you'll start to hate me after that.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭✭
    @nuurussubchiy You smart! :wink: