Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How about this invention

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,281 mod
A new invention might save you money. Called The Pavlok, it is a wristband that can connect to your online bank account, and will deliver an electric shock if you go overdrawn, or go over a preset spending limit.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Maybe we could reprogram it to deliver a shock every time you use the wrong preposition, or article. :wink:
Tagged:

Comments

• ScottScott Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Electric shock. If that device were applied to English-language using, I would be charged with full of electricity. :) But, anyway, I'd like to use it at least once :smiley:
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,281 mod
    If I used it whilst learning German it would be the same for me.

Welcome back Scott. :smile:

• abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @Lynne Lol.. Definitely it will help me then.
    But I guess I will remove that band if it gives more shock
    So I guess it should be fixed in our hand permanently :lol:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,100 mod
    Do people really need this to stop them going overdrawn @Lynne? But zapping grammar mistakes is a good idea. A lot of native speakers might find it hard not to get a shock.
  • anjalibajaj12anjalibajaj12 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    It would b very helpful for me when I try to speak punjabi in front of my parents and end up with mixing different words together.
    I think most languages nowadays are mixing words and so long as they understand @anjalibajaj12 you don't have to worry!
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 244 ✭✭
    or maybe, but i need to know how much power comes from the wristband, we can create portable power plan to charge our electrical device.
    (or no?)
  • scorpionscorpion Posts: 16 ✭✭
    wonder ful
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,887 mod
    I like this idea! I think it would serve as a great reminder for those of us who don't really know what's going on in our bank accounts. As for learning English, perhaps it would work there, too!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were used for grammar especially using the wrong articles, I would get a lot of shocks in a day. ;)
  • EstevaoEstevao Posts: 32 ✭✭
    > @Lynne said:
    > A new invention might save you money. Called The Pavlok, it is a wristband that can connect to your online bank account, and will deliver an electric shock if you go overdrawn, or go over a preset spending limit.
    >
    > Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
    >
    > Maybe we could reprogram it to deliver a shock every time you use the wrong preposition, or article. :wink:

:) I'm laughing up to now... :) That was amazing @Lynne
    It would be really awesome if they adapted to prepositions and gerunds.
    I think Lynne mentioned a variation on this but the invention I want developed is a translator that automatically translates into any language I want as I speak through it!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,887 mod
    mheredge said:

I think Lynne mentioned a variation on this but the invention I want developed is a translator that automatically translates into any language I want as I speak through it!

Now, that would be an absolute dream! It would certainly make learning new languages a lot easier.
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    We might take it as a joke but I have an intuition one day we will have something like this might be not exactly like this something which is similar and help us to learn English in a systematic way. :smile:
  • JeyasriJeyasri Posts: 73 ✭✭
    OMG.Is it electric shock ? I am so shocked.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I think Lynne mentioned a variation on this but the invention I want developed is a translator that automatically translates into any language I want as I speak through it!

Hi @mheredge look that: sciencealert.com/these-new-earbuds-can-translate-languages-for-you-in-real-time
    My biggest problem is not understanding so much as speaking @Estevao.
    [quote="mheredge;153385"]My biggest problem is not understanding so much as speaking @Estevao. [/quote]

So do I. I have been trying almost every day with natives, but it's not been easy.
    By the way, despite these new ears buds be a good idea, neither all people will be access. Further, maybe it won't work well because it's not easy translate complex sentences.
    @Jeyasri I need this wristband as whenever I go shopping with my sisters, I come back with an empty wallet. :(
  • JeyasriJeyasri Posts: 73 ✭✭
    @Bubbly What are you telling ? If you get that wristband you may get full electric shock.
    ha ha.
    @Jeyasri electric shocks are better than mental shocks. ;)
    Oh I'm not sure if I fancy getting an electric shock @Bubbly. I haven't received any serious ones, but one time was in a flat where the power sockets were definitely unsafe and I did get a bit of a shock a few times when unplugging things from one particular wall socket.
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    oops Then I will get maximum shocks due to bad grammar.
    Me too when it comes to Spanish pronunciation @Anurada!
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge lol it means we are in same queue.
    I read about a beat application that's supposed to be able to identify birds when you take a photo and submit it to your app. I think so far it's only for a limited number of North American species though.
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 244 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    > @mheredge said:
    > I read about a beat application that's supposed to be able to identify birds when you take a photo and submit it to your app. I think so far it's only for a limited number of North American species though.

did you mean just like Pokedex technology from Pokemon?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly Next time, go shopping with me. I'm the death of go-shopping. I promise you'll save lots of money,
    because I'll constantly nag you thousands of reasons why you should not buy those things. But you'll start to hate me after that.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nuurussubchiy You smart! :wink: