Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Phrasal Verb Challenge #9 - Take after /Take off /Take on /Take out

DoraDora Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 13 in Your English Challenge
- Take after (to resemble, in appearance or character)
- Take off (to leave the ground)
- Take on (to hire or engage staff)
- Take out (to remove; extract)
Post edited by Dora on

Comments

• DoraDora Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you ready for the next challenge : @kindgnice , @Bubbly, @filauzio , @Just-Learn , @peaceculture, @shasha96 , @Shiny03 , @gomaa , @dudukot and @Qandeelrashique?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

We need to take on few experts for our upcoming project as we want to take it off this time. However, this time we are going to take after our project director who will definitely help us in taking out some weak points in the project design.

------------------------

We need to take on a few experts for our upcoming project as we want it to take off this time. However, this time we are going to take after our project director who will definitely help us in taking out some of the weak points in the project design.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @Dora Thank you for calling :)

It's parents' responsibility and obligation to take after children and protect them from any danger.

The airbus Boeing 747 is taking off from an airport.

We won't take on any new recruit in our company these years since the economic recession.

I had my three teeth taken out.

----------------------

It's the responsibility and obligation of parents to look after children and protect them from any danger. [The children might then take after their parents.]

An airbus Boeing 747 is taking off from an airport.

We haven't taken on any new recruits in our company since the recession.

I had three teeth taken out.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • arvindsonyarvindsony Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    They are twins and they are take after of their grandfather.
    I love flying but always suffer from motion sickness and feel like vomiting in take off .
    Now Google is taking on a new look.
    Last Monday ABC bank was robbed but robber can't opened its Strong Room so they taken out ATM with them ...

----------------------

They are twins, but they take after their grandfather.
    I love flying, but always suffer from motion sickness and feel like vomiting during take off.
    Now Google is taking on a new look.
    Last Monday the ABC bank was robbed but the robbers couldn't open its vault, so they took the ATM.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • PedroPedro Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    He has been taking on his political opponent for years with no success, but took off during last elections after his rival was taken out. [take on = oppose, take off = enjoy success, take out = kill]

---------------------------

He has been taking on his political opponent for years with no success, but took off during the last elections after his rival was taken out. [take on = oppose, take off = enjoy success, take out = kill]
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    All of a sudden the classroom turned silent. In fact, he was about to take off his stout and rather fatty classmate, who, by chance and fortunately either, wasn't expected to be present, therefore attending the amusing performance too, in the next few minutes.
    He was eager to do the show in a hurry, though, so as not to have, as soon as his character was going to take on the features of his ridiculous model, to be compelled to take on such sturdy of a mockery of his, if he happened to arrive out of the blue.
    On seeing that, he would have certainly punched him so hard as to take him off, literally.
    These were his thoughts, when the rising laughters all about the class, suddenly came to a stop: the mockery had entered the room and his mocking companion, who, so far, had been trying to take after him, in order to have fun of him, at once got his face flushing with embarrassment, which shortly after turned out dread.
    He had been supposing he could safely take his classroom out of themselves, and, at the same time, prove him to be a great comic, even worthy to be taken on in that role, as a job.
    But now, facing his grunting mate, who kept approaching him, frowning unfriendly at him on his way on, working off steam, meanwhile, by brusquely stretching out both his arms, in turn; well, considering altogether, he feared that, to this point, even taking it out of himself wouldn't be useful, at all, to avoid himself being, imminently and fiercely, taken out.

--------------------------

All of a sudden the classroom went silent. In fact, he was about to take on his stout and rather fat classmate, who fortunately and purely by chance wasn't expected to be present.

He was eager to do the show in a hurry, so as not to have to take on the features of his ridiculous model, and be compelled to face his mockery, if he happened to arrive out of the blue.

He would certainly have punched him hard enough to take him out, and these were his thoughts, when the rising laughter all about the class, suddenly came to a stop: the mockery had entered the room with his mocking companion, who, so far, had been trying to take after him, in order to make fun of him. At once he felt his face flushing with embarrassment, which shortly after turned to dread.

He had been supposing he could safely take his classmates out of themselves, and, at the same time, prove himself to be a great comic, worthy of taking on that role, as a job. But now, facing his grunting classmate, who was approaching, and frowning in an unfriendly way at him, working off steam, by brusquely stretching out both his arms, in turn; well, considering everything, he feared that, from this point he had no chance to take off and avoid being, imminently and fiercely, taken out.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,469 mod
    They say I am taking after my eldest brother.

I wanted them to take off their durty shoes.

The plant flower I bought in a garden center took on a colour I didnˋt wished for. I wantend to get an orange bloom, but instead it turned out to be a yellow one.

Would you be so nice and take out the cheese from my shopping bag.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,002 mod
    edited August 2016
    The air carrier had taken on a new purser, but when tourists started complaining that he took after a notorious terrorist, they decided to take him off the plane before take off.
  • Me and my sister we are very independent, we take afer our maternal grandfather.
    I like very much the sensation when the airplane is taking off.
    Yesterday in our company we take on new colleagues.
    Please, take off this dirty shoes and put these out.
  • Rere2016Rere2016 Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Exactly there are many simple phrases make the English fun
  • dopedope Posts: 94 ✭✭
    *I take after my mother*
    * i hate when aircraft take off!*
    *Our company can't afford keep taking on ppl*
    *Take out your portion of pizza!*
  • upkarupkar Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Dora
    Take after-Don't take after your older brother—he's a bad influence.

Take on-I don't like to take on such heavy responsibilities.

Take off-The plane has been cleared to take off from runway 3.

Take out-he took out his frustrations by splitting a cord of firewood.
This discussion has been closed.