Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What would your own school be like?

linc68linc68 Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
I have been thinking about opening a school for a little while. Just by talking here and there about it, I have met other parents interested in it. So, maybe this will happen if we start now.
International, accessible by everyone and personalized education are the key words for me.
If you could open your own school what would it be like?

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    I think my school would be less focused on geographical location, and more on being truly accessible regardless of race, gender, culture, belief, or postcode, and with learning support available 24/7.

Anyone who signed up to attend would have to be 100% committed, not just the teachers and pupils, but the parents too.

The children would receive guidance, but in the end they would be free to decide for themselves how to spend their time, and what to learn. The emphasis would be on learning through doing, and for the younger children that would mean learning through playing. No timetables, no tests, no uniforms, and beyond providing a safe environment, the children would set their own rules.
  • linc68linc68 Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    Awesome @Lynne ! I love the openness of your perfect school. Well, in a way you have already created it right here! It is the LEN! :)
    My goddaughter (17 y.o.) would like a school very close from her home to avoid problems with public transport. She also suggested no age limits, which means everybody would learn together even parents.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,672 mod
    Thank you for this link my friend. @linc68
    Hope to see you soon in our Skype sessions. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    I like your daughter's suggestion that anyone of any age should be able to join @linc68.
    Yes, it's nice! This sas my goddaughter @mheredge . My daughter was quite at a loss because she loves her school as it is!
    A friend (60 something y.o.): "children need to learn the value of respecting others and being respected".
    A mother of 3 (30 something y.o.): "I would like to be allowed to learn things too, a new language for instance".
    Another friend (70 something y.o.): "if grandparents can attend too, then they need to be taught with great patience. They lack self-confidence when it's about learning, so they must not be tested or pushed to their limits".
    Another mother of 3 (40 something y.o.): "children should spend several hours a day outside, learning in the forest for example".
    What do you think?
    Last Friday evening I got the confirmation by a brain expert there are no limits to the number of languages a person can learn (only emotional ones, like fear). Besides, he confirmed anybody could learn a new language at any age.
    What a satisfaction to get one's feelings and convictions backed up by a scientific expert!
    ...children should spend several hours a day outside, learning in the forest for example.
    Everyone should spend several hours a day outside. :smiley:
    I agree with some of the criticisms levelled at it, and IMHO education shouldn't be for profit.
    At least they are trying. However I cannot imagine how the teacher can keep hold of his students' attention while reading his lesson plan on the tablet.
    I have tried Khan Academy. It seems pretty good and truly able to perform "personalized education". I will let my daughters try some maths on it.
    edited June 2016
    I'm glad you like it. The Khan Academy is a great model to follow, and EdX is quite good too. Unlike Coursera, they are trying to keep it free.
This discussion has been closed.