Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Let's speak about transportation

KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm from Egypt and I'd like to share transportation in my country
First of all I'd like to say that transportation in my cityis quite good.
We have some advantages and also disadvantages.
The traffic here more quickly except at rush hour.
There are many types of transportation in my city,we have cars, taxis, busies,trains, tuk tuk and some kind of cars like vans.
Some people use motor bike to go to their work and some students use bikes to go to their school.
At the winter the transportation in my city becomes very crowded from the morning to 3Pm, also at the night its not good to go to from one place to another, but you can use taxis.
From my point of view, we should all hold together and help the traffic men to do their job .

Comments

• KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zom @Lynne @Frank @Janat @Bubbly @april @mheredge @kindgnice
    Let's speak about transportation
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    @gomaa, in France, intercity buses aren't particularly good (except to and from cities outside of France), but the railway system is excellent. Within towns, buses are pretty good though it might depend where you are. Taxis everywhere are a real rip off. But Uber and Blah Blah cars are a way to cut transport costs by car.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I'm from Bangladesh, a small county of south Asia having a population of 150 million. Transportation system here is not bad but insufficient compared to its population. Roads, railways, rivers and airways are the different modes of transportation here. Among these road is the most popular here. In our transportation system traffic jam is a major problem . Traffic jam is due to lack of sufficient transportation infrastructure. To solve the problem we try to build new flyovers, metro-rail, dual-line railways, 4-6 lanes highways etc. Hope after completing of these we can improve our transportation system and able to control traffic jam.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have superior Shinkansen bullet train here in Japan and the railway system is spectacular
    and well-extended. It's tidy and clean and has perfect travel time. Only is it a hell, when you take a
    train in rush hours. You will be squashed like sardines, no mercy! And the harassment happens all the time....

@duduot Hi~your country, Bangladesh, may be small,but tree of Asian's largest rivers flow through it. Wow,that's a blessing, right?! :)
    Your trains in Japan are amazing @Shiny03. But really, is there much harassment on crowded trains? This is where Indian trains are good, with one carriage reserved for women only.

@dudukot I had the great chance to travel on both the new and old traditional Rocket earlier this year. It was a bit scary though, as it was very foggy on the river at night. A cargo ship collided with us at midnight when I was on the new Rocket steamer. Fortunately it's superior structure meant we were able to continue, even though there was a hole in the bow.

We have metro station in Cairo so pretty and fantasticjust Cairo to decrease crowded in Cairo
    I recall many years ago being seriously harassed in the Cairo metro @gomaa, even when my friend was doing his best to protect me. And the carriage wasn't even very crowded.
    The government established metro station to decrease crowded in the capital to Egypt and we are know the capital any country crowded because it is full of organization's and companies and the traffic being good more than any time and I don't like all this things because I depend on my bike so friendly to me :D
    > @mheredge said:
    > Your trains in Japan are amazing. But really, is there much harassment on crowded trains? This is where Indian trains are good, with one carriage reserved for women only.

The Indian trains look great, especially the women only carriage :)
    Unfortunately, the harassment happens all the time on crowded trains, including pushing deliberately
    and groping. It really get stressed of it. Thankfully, we have women only passenger cars, too which applies
    from Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, during the rush hours.
    And I thought that Japanese guys were so well behaved @Shiny03! But in the UK too, I've had a few nasty experiences. Now I'm a lot older, I'm more likely to say something or retaliate, but it is unnerving, especially for younger women.
    @mheredge I feel sorry for your unpleasant experiences. You must be pretty, so they try to take advantage of you...a compliment...no offense. You're so brave and have the courage to do that. Getting age is not bad anymore I may say so. I have to learn from you,my mentor!
    edited July 2016
    Exercise
    read descriptions and write how they will travel .

1- Rebecca and frank are moving from their old apartment to a new house. they are taking all their furniture ..............
    2-fifty two children and four teachers are traveling a hundred kilometers to a museum in sao Paolo .........
    3-pierre is a french artist .he has made a very big statue of president Kennedy .it's ten metres high .Pierre is taking it to America .........
    4-seven Johansen is taking 55,000 packets frozen fish from oslo to Bratislava ........
    5-lynne carrying an important letter from south London to north London .there is a lot of traffic but he must travel very quickly ..........

@Lynne @Frank @mheredge @Shiny03 @Bubbly @april @Dora @torellip @peaceculture2
    don't forget the topic about transportation

But @Shiny03 I'm very ordinary-looking and not attractive. I feel very sorry for pretty young girls as they are much more targeted than me!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @gomaa I couldn't get it. :(
    I'm going to have to go to check in early for my flight tomorrow as I still haven't received my eboarding pass which the airline insists on using and that has to be printed in advance. Sometimes technology slows things down!
    edited July 2016
    @Bubbly @mheredge use these words to answer(lorry-bus- ship -motorbike -van ) :)
    1- Rebecca and frank are moving from their old apartment to a new house. they are taking all their furniture by truck.
    2-Fifty two children and four teachers are travelling a hundred kilometres to a museum in sao Paolo by bus.
    3-Pierre is a french artist .he has made a very big statue of president Kennedy .it's ten metres high .Pierre is taking it to America by air.
    4-Seven Johnson is taking 55,000 packets frozen fish from Oslo to Bratislava by ship.
    5-Lynne carrying an important letter from south London to north London .there is a lot of traffic but he must travel very quickly by a cab.
    @Bubbly first answer you can choose any word (van-lorry - truck) :)
    There was a lot of traffic on the road. As the bus took the tourists to their ship down in the harbour, it overtook several lorries and vans loaded up with all kinds of goods to go by cargo ship to various places.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for @Khalied.
    @Khalied we us the word 'truck' for lorry as well.

A truck in Pakistan is very colourful like this:-

A Lorry is like this:-

A dumper looks like this:-

A tractor trolley, you must have seen it in Egypt as well:-

A Container truck for logistics:-

@Bubbly thank you for pretty photo @mheredge these question made by dictionary not me and I'll try to discuss the answer
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Khalied - My score 13.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    me 12 excellent :D
    @Zom try again
    @Khalied, 12 for me too. We are square. :D
  • MarceloSantosMarceloSantos Posts: 32 ✭✭
    @khalied @Zom @Shiny03 @peaceculture2 @torellip I scored 15. I think it was good considerig that i don't like so much of this kind of game rs.
    Not bad @MarceloSantos, you're second so far. ;)
    edited August 2016
    @MarceloSantos very good this test for learn new words and make your memory refresh :)
    I like best the colourful trucks you see in Asia @Bubbly.