Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Embarrassing moments!

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 25,751 mod
We've all done it. The words slip out and you realise you have said the wrong thing. I have just sent an email back to the person who I was warning someone else about! (How embarrassing is that!)

Have you had any terrible moments like this? What do you do when you realise you've put your foot in your mouth? Do you die of shame or try and find a way to wriggle out of the situation (at least in my case, I don't know the person and it's only an email!!)

Comments

• shasha96shasha96 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Yeah I have encountered a lot of terrible or embarrassing moments in my life and its funny also. :neutral:
  • dudukotdudukot Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    mheredge
    In my teenage I was embarrassed for many reasons specially saying wrongs. I had to wait for 3-4 days to neutralize the awkward feelings built in me. But now a days its simple. To err is human being. Simply I accept it and forgive myself and feel easy. That's all.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to spill my beans...but...once I wore my favorite skirt and went shopping at a mall
    on a lovely,sunny Saturday. Then,you know,the ’natural excretion ’ thing, so I went to a restroom
    and resolved it. Yeah..I know what you think, not a big deal.
    When I went out of the lady's room, I somehow realized people look at me. At the moment, all I thought was
    people really know and appreciate my good taste in clothes. Therefore, I strutted like a proud peacock
    through the corridor of the mall. I was so excited and...saw the reflection of myself in a shop's window.
    Tragedy has it that I found my skirt stuck into my underwear!!...truly die of shame...felt like digging a hole
    and hiding in it. Oh..Just typing this is making me so embarrassed right now. Never knew my whole bum would debut in public!...
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @Shiny03 lololol.. Don't worry. Something like this happened with me too. But it was my top... Lol.. I hate these kind of things. :D I'm not gonna say it here tho it's really embarrassing. Oh god im laughing so hard rn. You are so funny :D :hushed:
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,751 mod
    You had me really worried for a moment @Shiny03. At least it was only your skirt caught in your knickers! It could have been worse. :smile:

I'm still embarrassed about that email that went to the wrong person. It's just as well I don't know the person or will be around to meet her.
    @shasha96 ROFL...no way...it happened to you,too?! Maybe I take it too seriously, as @mheredge
    mentioned 'it could have been worse', but I think no one would get interested in my fat and floppy butt ;p

@mheredge I understand you. I won't say it's not embarrassing because expressing your feeling to a wrong person is embarrassed, but millions have been through this and millions go through this every single day.
    We're just making it a bigger deal. Don't look at it as,'oh, so embarrassed. I said a wrong thing to a wrong
    person.' Look at it as, 'I made a mistake as humans. It says, to err is human, to forgive, divine.'....I'm trying
    to give you a solace. Do I fail?!...oh,please, give me a chance :)
    Thanks @Shiny03. Hopefully the person will realise what I was saying certainly wasn't personal in any way and in fact, made sense.

I'll tell you what it was. A third year medical student was telling me that she and two friends had directly applied to go to spend two weeks at a hospital as part of their electives. The doctor there had quite rightly passed them back to me, as they should not be going to him directly (he's far too busy to reply to emails asking questions like 'how do I get to the hospital' and so on.

So I wrote him an email to say that usually I would not accept third year students and particularly not a group of three for just two weeks. But since I had no way of knowing if they hadn't already booked flights, could hardly refuse them. (They are coming in the summer, when the hospital will be busy but there won't be many other volunteers). I repeated what I had told them, that they could help a lot by teaching the nurses more English. However I didn't mean to send them this email at all and must have hit 'reply' by mistake instead of entering the doctor's name. I quickly sent a short message to the medical student that it was a mistake, though this would have been obvious as it was addressed to the doctor and not to her.
    @mheredge ...silent...I now really realize the embarrassment...all I can say is oops....
    Hope you get through it super swiftly...
    It seems that my gaff wasn't a showstopper and the student contacted me again, promising to be good. They will be on holiday and just wanted to help @Shiny03.
    @mheredge I'm relieved for you now..thank God...(can I laugh at your sense of humor?! LOLz)
    I am very good at putting my foot in it @Shiny03. It's always more amusing to look back on these things. But at the time, you just wish the earth would open up!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge related to clients, there are many embarassing situations that are unexpected in nature. Like today, one of our trainers refused to take a training session without sharing any reason and our participants want to wind up this training session in this week. It is really difficult for us to arrange an alternative in a short period of time.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,044 mod
    I said "hello" (loudly and lively) to somebody who I thought a good friend of mine was, but ... when he/she turned around and looked at me ... oh my ... it was somebody else!

How embarassing was it!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,697 mod
    I have fallen over in front of a lot of people before, really hurt myself, and had to do my best to pretend that it didn't hurt as I walked away!
    @april welcome back. :)

@GemmaRowlands this has happened to me many times especially when I wear heels and fall down. :)
    I know the feeling @GemmaRowlands. I do this a lot too. Once I even fainted in the office of the trade union shop steward when we discussing an upcoming strike. I just picked myself off the floor and we carried on talking as if nothing had happened!
    @GemmaRowlands We are pretending to be tough in front of people and protect ourselves.
    Well we are tough @Shiny03, aren't we? Tougher than guys at least.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,044 mod
    Thanks, @Bubbly :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,697 mod
    Oh dear! It sounds as though a lot of you have fallen down by accident! At least I am not on my own.
    The only problem is that I don't bounce as well as I used to @GemmaRowlands.
    Yesterday, I fell down because of slippery floor as my niece spilled milk whilst playing with toys. It was really embarrassing for me as one of my uncles was also sitting in the room when I fell down.
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly I am laughing a lot after hearing this but I also feel sorry for you... I hope you are okay ??!!!!
    @abhishekb9099 yes. I am OK. :)
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    I just remembered a case at a corporate party when one of my coworkers stumbled against the a fold of a carpet and I managed to catch her in my arms. She said I saved her life. :)
    @Deucalion wow! Pretty romantic. ;)
    That was just a rutine salvage of a woman's life, nothing else, @Bubbly. The heavy cowboy boots made of bizon's leather she was wearing that time didn't appear somehow romantic to me. The irony was that she became my immediate boss after a while. Rather soon I realized that her choices in regard to clothes and shoes fairly expressed her character traits.
    @Deucalion it looks a pretty old story. But, I hope that she must have remembered the incident the way you did. :)
    I always have a horror of slipping in the bathroom (no chance of heroes catching me in their arms there I'm afraid). Climbing out of the bath in the hostel I was staying in yesterday was tricky as the supposed non-slip mat was what was slipping on the wet floor.
    They say fear incurs bad luck, @mheredge, I'm afraid you'd better consider a caring hero to take with you in the bathroom.