Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Past Tense Simple

HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did I disappoint you or let you down?

"The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    No @Hekner, you never did that. :D
  • HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D
    "She liked being alone very well once in a while. It was quite important being in charge of Cloud of Spruce. She swept the kitchen, and got dinner for herself and Lazarre; she fed the cats and washed the dishes and wrote a letter to Paula.
    Then the end of the world came. A car stopped at the gate; seven people descended therefrom and marched in past the platoons of hollyhocks with the air of people coming to stay. Marigold, staring aghast through the window, recognised them."
    I never thought I'd get here,
    I was so far away,
    I didn't believe in love,
    Thought it was just a game people play ...
    Everything changed when I met you,
    I touched your hand,
    You took my heart
    And you led me to a better place,
    Just the two of us in the dark ...

• Student_PabloStudent_Pablo Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Last night I gazed at the moon while I was at the top of my house lied back, I was hypnotized by its beauty and bright, I felt like the time stopped for a while until the spell broke down when something crosses my mind, I couldn’t believe it; I didn’t do my homework… Immediately I woke up and jumped to the nearest wall and clambered it down, then I opened the door of my room and remembered that it was Sunday as well a famous phrase of all procrastinator “I can do it now but I prefer to do it tomorrow”
  • Alina21Alina21 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Your text is very nice @Student_Pablo‌ though i would make some changes here and there.
    Last night I was gazing at the moon while I was lying on the roof of my house, I was hypnotized by its beauty and brightness. I felt like the time stopped for a while until the spell broke when something crossed my mind. I couldn’t believe it, I hadn’t done my homework… I got up immediately and jumped to the nearest wall and clambered it down, then I opened the door of my room and I remembered that it was Sunday as well as a famous saying of all procrastinators “I can do it now but I prefer to do it tomorrow”
    @Alina21‌ Are you a native English speaker? Because I found that you polished my text pretty well, I was aiming to write in the past tense as many times as possible but might be I will try something different, it was not good at all, however, I enjoyed reading the corrections you made to the text it sounds and looks much better, I really appreciate the time you spend on it, good job Alina. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,522 mod
    Well done @Alina and @Student_Pablo‌ - I would write:-

Last night was lying on my back on the roof of my house, gazing at the moon. She was shining brightly, and I was hypnotized by her beauty. It felt as if time had stopped for a while, until the spell broke when a terrible thought crossed my mind. I couldn’t believe it! I hadn’t done my homework! I jumped up and leapt onto the nearest wall and clambered down. As I opened the door to my room I remembered that it was Sunday, and as that famous saying of all procrastinators goes, “I could do it now, but I prefer to do it tomorrow”.

!Note - we often call the moon "she", especially in poetic language, however "it" is also correct.

@Student_Pablo‌ - I hope you got your homework done in the end.
  • Alina21Alina21 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Thank you @Lynne‌

I'm not a native English speaker @Student_Pablo‌, I'm a learner just like you, thank you for your appreciation. Your English is very good also :)
    edited September 2014
    You’re terrific @Lynne‌ , thank you very much for the corrections you made. What should I do in order to write perfectly? I have difficulties at expressing my ideas and writing them in English as well I make a lot of mistakes that reduce dramatically the coherence and beauty of any sentence or word. I’d glad to be able not only to communicate my thoughts or ideas well but also understand other’s beauty and thoughts.

You surprised me @Alina21‌ I thought you were a native English speaker, how lucky I am to be a learner as you and go along this way together, thank you again.

PD: I got my homework done in the end. :blush:
    "I dreamed last night that I invented a giant umbrella, big enough to shelter the earth. It reached almost to March. The Moon, being largely made of dust, had already turned to muck. But the earth was saved."
    "When my friend died on the way to the hospital
    it was not his death that so amazed me

but that the driver of the cab
    did not insist upon the fare."

“I will remember the kisses
    our lips raw with love
    and how you gave me
    everything you had
    and how I
    offered you what was left of
    me,
    and I will remember your small room
    the feel of you
    the light in the window
    your records
    your books
    our morning coffee
    our noons our nights
    our bodies spilled together
    sleeping
    the tiny flowing currents
    immediate and forever
    your leg my leg
    your arm my arm
    your smile and the warmth
    of you
    who made me laugh
    again.” (Charles Bukowski)
    I was born in 19..
    I was born in the UK.
    I was born to ..

"The rain was grey before it fell,
    And through a world where light had died
    There ran a mournful little wind
    That shook the trees and cried." (Nora May French)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,473 mod
    @Hi Hekner, your post above makes me thinking. Did the cup driver charge the fare or not?
    The cab driver didn't charge for the journey.
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I thought that a man may be amazed only by something scientific or by anything more positive. Am I wrong?
    I mean the same @Hekner's comment.
    edited December 2014
    Really @Bobmendez‌? I am amazed!

to amaze - verb past tense: amazed; past participle: amazed | Meaning: to surprise (someone) greatly; fill with astonishment.

PS - It used to mean to confuse, or bewilder someone. I guess because of the "maze" part.
    edited December 2014
    I will never ever get a certificat with the mark `1` = sehr gut from Lynne. Why on earth did I write cup instead of cab.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited December 2014
    Just blame the keyboard @Hermine. BTW - You often get "likes" from me, which is the equivalent of a "1". :smile:
    The keyboard is innocent when it comes to use letters, but the use of capital letters are different and that would be okay to blame it.
    @Lynne, btw, thanks for each like.
This discussion has been closed.