Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Could you live on a dollar a day?

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 23,519 mod
This movie is a very interesting experiment to see if it is possible to live on a dollar a day for a month in Nepal. Nepal is not the cheapest country in Asia and 100Rs/1$/67p/0.9€ doesn't go far.

Would you be able to live on a dollar a day? How do you think you would cope? What sort of things would you be able to buy?

Tagged:

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marianne, if I convert a dollar into Pakistani rupees. It is Rs103 these days. I don't think it will be possible to buy too many things with this money but still I can cope up easily as I have some experience of living in the remote areas for a field work where we had to think 100 times before we spent a penny.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,276 mod
    @mheredge wrote: »
    This movie is a very interesting experiment to see if it is possible to live on a dollar a day for a month in Nepal. Nepal is not the cheapest country in Asia and 100Rs/1$/67p/0.9€ doesn't go far.

Would you be able to live on a dollar a day? How do you think you would cope? What sort of things would you be able to buy?

It'a possible in my country Marianne. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    It is not at all possible here in France @Bubbly and @kindgnice. A dollar is worth a bit less than one euro. A bagette of bread costs 80-95 cents. In the market this morning, I bought a lettuce that cost a euro, and various vegetables that all cost 1-2 euros per kilo. I haven't worked out how much food costs per day, but I'd estimate it must be several euros - and that's before you start taking anything else into account.
    @mheredge wrote: »
    It is not at all possible here in France @Bubbly and @kindgnice. A dollar is worth a bit less than one euro. A bagette of bread costs 80-95 cents. In the market this morning, I bought a lettuce that cost a euro, and various vegetables that all cost 1-2 euros per kilo. I haven't worked out how much food costs per day, but I'd estimate it must be several euros - and that's before you start taking anything else into account.

That's why a lot of foreigners are enjoying to live here in Philippines for good due to low cost of living. ;)
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    1 USD = 32.4 TWD now. Enough to buy a loaf of bread or 6 eggs here. No problem to live with it for short term.
    A can of coca cola is also about 1USD here, how much does it cost in your country?
    1 USD = 46 PHP approx.
    Enough to budget for the whole day. (With sacrifice) :lol:
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge one a dollar$ 10 pounds in Egypt . It's impossible to me because my brother take two dollars everyday to go at university and buy somethings to help study and my mother ask five dollars.
    @gomaa wrote: »
    @mheredge one a dollar$ 10 pounds in Egypt . It's impossible to me because my brother take two dollars everyday to go at university and buy somethings to help study and my mother ask five dollars.

You mean you are the one who supports your brother's and Mom's financial needs?
    @kindgnice yes of course
    @kindgnice yes of course

Wow! You're a supportive kind of guy. Good job! :)
    @kindgnice thank you my friend ,sorry my friend not kind of guy just say my mother and my brother and I feel happy to do that.I can't live on a dollar a daybecause I'm not alone and one dollar not enough to buy good food and I think that's independ on currency
    @kindgnice thank you my friend ,sorry my friend not kind of guy just say my mother and my brother and I feel happy to do that.I can't live on a dollar a daybecause I'm not alone and one dollar not enough to buy good food and I think that's independ on currency

Agreed. At the same time, it really varies to dfifferent countries as well. :)
    @mheredge it's all about your financial management. I don't think that we can't manage if we have scarce resources. So, I can easily manage even if I don't have money. When you set your priorities, you can save a lot of money.
    edited April 2016
    @Bubbly: How much is needed to survive in your country? Budget-wise?
    Ah but @Bubbly you have to eat and drink (water at least). If I'm in Nepal, I could perhaps boil my water rather than spend 20Rs on a litre of bottled water. I would need to drink two or three litres of water a day. (Even if I'm at a home, electricity or gas would cost a few cents). This is before I start to think about eating. In the movie, the couple managed to catch fish and eat off the land, but in a city this wouldn't be possible. I think in the countryside it's much easier.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    I love good things and the best ones so my answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I am not the man of Luxuries but I like a life with high standards.
    I love good things and the best ones so my answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I am not the man of Luxuries but I like a life with high standards.

Agreed! Live life to the fullest!
    As they say. ;)
    @mheredge Then we are lucky here as we can easily spend a day with this money as if I convert this money into rupees, I can get meal as well as tea for a day.
    Bubbly wrote: »
    @mheredge Then we are lucky here as we can easily spend a day with this money as if I convert this money into rupees, I can get meal as well as tea for a day.

Good for you buddy. You can live life to the fullest as well. :)
    But how long could you survive like this @Bubbly, with one meal a day and one cup of tea?
    For a dollar (approx 46 PHP), in able to survive for a day, I can buy one rice with free soup for just 10 pesos, so that will be 4 meals in day. ;) (Sacrifice is needed) :lol:
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I'm planning of my retirement in Philippines. @kindgnice. :smiley: .With the poor amount of money in my account, I will probably have a misery elderly life here.
    @chyijung wrote: »
    I'm planning of my retirement in Philippines. @kindgnice. :smiley: .With the poor amount of money in my account, I will probably have a misery elderly life here.

You'll be rich if you live here in Philippines because your money will be converted to many more pesos. ;)
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 141 ✭✭
    @navidafrasiabian LoL. me too. it just for breakfast and lunch, i never having dinner at the day by a Dollar
    You'd be a millionaire very easily in Indonesia too @kindgnice. In fact you'd only need 8$ to be a millionaire there!
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 ✭✭
    For a dollar in Hungary (around 277Ft (Hungarian forint)) you could buy 2 liter milk or 1,5 kg bread, but not both. Or 9 egg. So, if you smart enough, you could live for some weeks. But it's not enough money for a healthy, varied diet.
    @mheredge said:

You'd be a millionaire very easily in Indonesia too @kindgnice. In fact you'd only need 8$ to be a millionaire there!

That's great to hear Marianne. What are the usual jobs there that will earn us more than $8? :smiley:
    edited April 2016

For a dollar in Hungary (around 277Ft (Hungarian forint)) you could buy 2 liter milk or 1,5 kg bread, but not both. Or 9 egg. So, if you smart enough, you could live for some weeks. But it's not enough money for a healthy, varied diet.

How much is the usual monthly budget there in Hungary? In dollars?
    @faiz49 said:

@navidafrasiabian LoL. me too. it just for breakfast and lunch, i never having dinner at the day by a Dollar

How much should be my monthly budget in Indonesia? In dollars?
    I think it might be enough to survive on for a short while, but like @LaszloMark says, it wouldn't be enough for the long term. I think this is what the American couple found in the film. They got sick after a while. And then if you don't have free healthcare, there's no way you'll make it on a dollar a day.