Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Scientists have figured out what makes Indian food so delicious

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 23,519 mod
edited April 2016 in Food and Drink
This article is very interesting. It looks at what makes Indian food so delicious (I think many people already know this @Bubbly?). A lot is about matching flavours.

But there are some useful links to other articles that analyse things like why Americans aren't so keen and an interesting quiz to make you second guess how well you know food.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/03/a-scientific-explanation-of-what-makes-indian-food-so-delicious/

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not only Indian food but Pakistani food as well. I still wonder if there are too much meat dishes in Indian cuisine. may be @madhug will tell us more about it. But, these dishes are the part of our culture here in Pakistan especially meat dishes are very famous in the region.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,276 mod
    My Indian colleague said that their various spices give the authentic flavor of their dishes. ;)
    @mheredge
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    When you say 'too much meat dishes' @Bubbly, do you mean too many?

There are lots of vegetarian dishes in the Indian cuisine, but I still find it surprising how tough it is for vegetarians to be strictly vegetarian in India and Nepal. There sometimes seems to be little concern for meat extract or animal fat being used in vegetarian products.
    My colleague is vegetarian but he's very picky with the veggies he'll eat? Hmmm...
    @mheredge thanks for the correction.

We usually use Halal meat for these dishes. But, people in India also eat chicken and fish but avoid red meat. One distinctive characteristic of Pakistani cuisine is the use of mutton and beef. Rest recipes and spices are similar in both Pakistani and Indian cuisines. For example, we make mutton or beef biryani whilst in India they may use vegetables or chicken instead of it. So, whenever tourists go to Lahore in the food street, they demand for the beef or mutton dishes.
    When I got sick due to tonsillitis, my Indian client from Singapore advised me to put turmeric in my milk drink for my fast recovery. :)
    They use mutton a lot in Nepal (I thought India too) and pork, except in Muslim areas. In Darjeeling and I think Kerela too, they often eat beef as most people are Christian and have no worries about eating this animal so sacred to Hindus.

This evening I'm cooking a Thai meal. Thai dishes use different spices from those used commonly in India like kaffir leaves, lemon grass, gangalal and different kinds of basil and chillies.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @Bubbly I observed Indians food is more spicy and pickle is must part of their food. Specially, people from kerala can't eat without pickle.
    I'd like to share this food from our Indian colleague.

They call it as Gulab jamun.

It's tasty and sweet. :)

Il44ScP.jpg
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,509 mod
    They look like quark balls (ballchen) that you can buy in Germany.
    Yes that is why I mentioned that there is a bit difference in types of Pakistan and Indian food.
    shah51272 said:

@Bubbly I observed Indians food is more spicy and pickle is must part of their food. Specially, people from kerala can't eat without pickle.

edited April 2016
    @Lynne wrote: »
    They look like quark balls (ballchen) that you can buy in Germany.

Wow! Do you have some pictures as well? Or do they have the same color like these?
    @shah51272 wrote: »

Agreed! Especially with pickle relish? :)
    Indian sweets are so sweet @kindness, don't you think?
    @mheredge said:

Indian sweets are so sweet @kindness, don't you think?

Agreed! In fact, I just pretended that it wasn't too sweet, and I know it sounds ironic. :lol:
    P.S. Thanks for calling me "kindness" :blush:
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Indian food is indeed delicious!! But what I think we can't say people of other country would find it delicious or yummy!! it differs for person to person or country to country. I literally love North Indian food and also non vegetarian food. (beaf, mutton or chicken only). Foreigners don't like spicy food. And Indian food is especially spicy food and that is why Indian food is delicious. And I have seen people eat food with picked like me I eat rajma(red beans) or chole (idk )chawal(rice) with pickle. but I haven't seen south Indians people eat with pickle. I find their food not so spicy that's y I don't like south Indian food. (only those food I have ate till today) And I'm pure non vegetarian too. :D
    @shasha96: Do you mean this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZwTkFzk2BLcUOTTwleDUaBvT8d9pIqTSeGTX2c2h-yTE5oGqNncFn9FBWcQ :)

It looks like my favorite chili beans (canned good) imported from America.
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, this is rajma! Its my favorite food. :# In fact I will have rajma and chawal for dinner, today! What's the recipe of chilli beans? :o @kindgnice
    @shasha96 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is rajma! Its my favorite food. :# In fact I will have rajma and chawal for dinner, today! What's the recipe of chilli beans? :o @kindgnice

Sure my friend, let me share you the pictures.
    This is the sample canned good I like imported from America:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3N0XiYjBMOek6Enpkygf8nbUDoLkcmcGhi5bSmtPkRP_VNLn2dw

For a sample recipe, here are the easy steps:

242067.jpg

Directions:

Spread cream cheese on the bottom of a microwave-safe dish. Spread a layer of chili over the cream cheese. Finish with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. Microwave for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve with spicy nacho tortilla chips.
  • rodrigodutrarodrigodutra Posts: 26 ✭✭
    actually I didn't eat indian food yet, at least not taht I know...lol
    @kindgnice ohh with cheese? I think it'd be definitely yummy! I love cheese :) But I can't able to imagine beans with cheese! :o It looks same like the rajma (that imported from america canned good). :)
    @rodrigodutra Have you tasted any Indian food? And where are you from? And do you mean you didn't taste "rajma "?
    actually I didn't eat indian food yet, at least not taht I know...lol

You may wanna also try their curries with different varieties of spices. ;)
    @kindgnice ohh with cheese? I think it'd be definitely yummy! I love cheese :) But I can't able to imagine beans with cheese! :o It looks same like the rajma (that imported from america canned good). :)

Yes my friend. I love foods with cheese. :yum: Beans are yummier with cheese. Promise! ;)
    @kindgnice oh I'll also try to eat Beans with cheese. :) ;)
    @kindgnice oh I'll also try to eat Beans with cheese. :) ;)

Sure my friend. Please also share your recipes and pictures here as well. ;) he he
    Yeah sure! :) And idk how to share pictures. :/ @kindgnice
    I had a Thai fish curry last night. The scientists only spoke about Indian curry, but surely their findings must apply to other cuisines that use the same spices?
    @shasha96 said:

Yeah sure! :) And idk how to share pictures. :/ @kindgnice

No problem. I can share them for you. :)
    Feel free to share them first from our Skype group and I will post them here. ;)
    I ate chopseuy recently for my lunch with matching fruits such as pears and kiwi. :)