Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Attention, Students: Put Your Laptops Away

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,052 mod
The idea of taking notes by hand seems to be going out of fashion for many students today. Typing notes is faster, but it turns out there are still advantages to doing things the old-fashioned way.

I still use a pen and paper but I notice some of my class mates in the training I've been attending these past few days use their laptop. But at the same time I have seen how distracting this is - not only to them as it's so easy to click over to Facebook if the lecture is a bit dull, but to me sitting next to them!

A study has shown that the fact that you have to be slower when you take notes by hand is what makes it more useful in the long run.

How do you take notes? Do you need to write anything down in order to remember what has been said? How do you remember - do you ever re-read your notes? (I have a test tonight on what I was trained on last week, so I'm going to have to read my notes!)

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Comments

• hazel27hazel27 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I take notes by my hand. Often my notes are ugly written, because I try to write as much as possible what lecturer tells, not just rewrite slides. The most important is that I can read it off and informations are useful.
    I agree that taking notes by hand is more efficient. I don't know how it works but I think it's like learning twice.

-------------------

I take notes by hand, but my notes are often ugly to look at because I try to write as much as possible about what the lecturer is telling us, and not just rewrite slides. The most important thing is that I can read it, and the information is useful.

I agree that taking notes by hand is more efficient. I don't know how it works but I think it's like learning twice.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so old-fashioned. I haven't used my lappy for this purpose yet. But now I often watch lectures online.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    I agree @hazel27. For me the act of writing down helps make the words 'stick' and I find that I don't even have to really read through much again after. Like you, I tend to write more than what is just shown on the powerpoint screen, but the explanation given by the lecturer too.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I fall to the first category. I usually take short notes or key points and sometimes I make maps or diagrams where I connect key concepts. This helps me to remember them easily.

Mueller and Oppenheimer cited that note-taking can be categorized two ways: generative and nongenerative. Generative note-taking pertains to "summarizing, paraphrasing, concept mapping," while nongenerative note-taking involves copying something verbatim.
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 141 ✭✭
    @hazel27 i complately agree to you. my teacher said that making a not is same with read this material three times :)
    but, sometime i think develop country use laptop for not at senior, junior high school bahkan collage. it was
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Even if you're studying informatics you should take notes in paper. The best way to learn programming, for example, is writing that on paper.

However, it's easier to take notes in a notebook, at least faster I guess.
  • MlleELMlleEL Posts: 9
    For me, I always take notes by hand on a notebook so that I can have more time to read what I'm writing down and then assimilate it .
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @MlleEL I also believe in taking hand written notes. It helps me to memorize many points.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,335 mod
    @faiz49 wrote: »
    @hazel27 i complately agree to you. my teacher said that making a not is same with read this material three times :)
    but, sometime i think develop country use laptop for not at senior, junior high school bahkan collage. it was

Agreed! Especially in Harvard University. ;)
    @MlleEL wrote: »
    For me, I always take notes by hand on a notebook so that I can have more time to read what I'm writing down and then assimilate it .

Me too. I think writing them down makes it easier for us to recall the discussion. ;)
    @tmendesf wrote: »
    Even if you're studying informatics you should take notes in paper. The best way to learn programming, for example, is writing that on paper.

However, it's easier to take notes in a notebook, at least faster I guess.

Agreed. ;) Do you like writing as well. ;)
    I have to say I doubt I could make notes faster using a laptop. I abbreviate a lot and can write very fast. But I do find it rather distracting, hearing the tapping of key when someone is using a laptop near where I'm sitting. (It's even more distracting if the person beside you is answering emails or looking at Facebook instead of paying attention).
    @mheredge wrote: »
    I have to say I doubt I could make notes faster using a laptop. I abbreviate a lot and can write very fast. But I do find it rather distracting, hearing the tapping of key when someone is using a laptop near where I'm sitting. (It's even more distracting if the person beside you is answering emails or looking at Facebook instead of paying attention).

Perhaps you want to go to a library instead? :)
    If I have to read anything for studies @kindgnice, I take copious notes for this too.
    Yes Marianne. Jotting down important remarks to your notebooks makes it easier for us retain the knowledge learned. :) @mheredge
    I makes notes on paper or in a notebook @kindgnice.
    Thanks @mheredge. Weaknesses from these prepositions are my obvious weakest links. :lol:
    I will try to browse the LEO page link related to these prepositions to work these out properly. :)
    Yesterday I had to go over the answers to an assessment I'd taken last week. It was all done via Skype but it required me flipping to the pdf answer paper held on the laptop, as well as a paper checklist. It was quite a juggling act, but was a case where the internet is a boon. The test was taken in Bangkok, the examiner is in London and I am talking with him from France!
    How I wish I could work with my laptop with the help of "Work From Home" policy.
    There are a lot of advantages to being a digital nomad @kindgnice. It's the way the world is heading.
    @mheredge said:

There are a lot of advantages to being a digital nomad @kindgnice. It's the way the world is heading.

Yes my friend. Actually sooner or later, this will be part of our company's business continuity plan. :)
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D too much using of digital devices is harmful to your eyes, use it wisely
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭
    @peaceculture2 well you are right its harmful but what I suggest is if we blink our eyes frequently I mean at least once in 10 seconds then it won't harm much I am sure:)
    I lugged my laptop around all day but never got a chance to sit down anywhere with it to get any work done.
    I lugged my laptop around all day but never got a chance to sit down anywhere with it to get any work done.

Busy workweek? :)
    I always have things to do @kindgnice, but today has been non stop.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, for our German activity I prepared a text about otium, i.e. doing nothing. :) Everybody was enthusiastic about this idea. ;)
    I am exaggerating of course. Otium meant also literary activity.
    I always have things to do @kindgnice, but today has been non stop.

Yes buddy. And I hate extending hours or rendering OTs most of the time since it's unhealthy for me.