Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Are Virtual Worlds Games?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,946 mod
edited April 2016 in Technology and Games
Lots of people seem to think Open Sim, Second Life etc. are games. Are they right? Does that mean I'm a gamer?
Tagged:

Comments

• WallchsWallchs Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @Lynne If you are playing or to play any game, you are a gamer, but there is no answer right for that, If you feel happy play this games, the important it's play.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,946 mod
    @Wallchs - If I am a gamer, then I'm cooler than I thought I was. :smiley:
  • WallchsWallchs Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @Lynne What's your favorite game? LOL, I am a gamer too, I have the custom, custom no I would say that is a exercise for the brain, my game it is Battlefield 4, and sometimes I play Insurgency.
  • tonydiazbtonydiazb Posts: 2
    When I was a child i used to be a gamer. However, now, i try to play when i have a time.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,469 mod
    It's a game @Lynne and you are a gamer welcome to the club :wink:
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne I tried to play game like second life dance and conversation and invite people to events and I prefer dance all the time and some friends prefer swim
    Exciting game for me and I tried to play second life bu I can't and I'm curious to know about second life
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 205 ✭✭
    well, since we're talking about game why don't you try RPG genre?
    maybe the real life one like Ingress or Pokemon GO (Android/iOS), you have to move your feet instead of sitting all day long
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,946 mod
    I've never played a game on my smartphone.

@gomaa, it's a fun, but sometimes frustrating experience. The technology could be easier to use.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a fun based learning virtual programme. I think that playing games is a type of learning and the best game is the one that give you challenge and help you to not only learn something but remember it forever. I don't see any negative connotation of 'games' here. :)
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed! But it keeps showing, 'your video card drivers are unsupported hardware for Firestorm'...
  • hiruniiiihiruniiii Posts: 5
    :)
    @Shiny03 There is a new game from the company who created 'Candy Crush'. I hope that it will be as interesting as candy crush is.
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 ✭✭
    I'am not a gamer, but if No Man's Life will come out, i will be.

@Bubbly Yes, video games has lot of positive effect. Lot of people said, that if you play video games, you will be violent, you just waste your life, and etc, etc... But i think that's not true.
    Video games decrease your stress level (if it's not lagging), improve your visual logic, your memory, and your reflex too.
    But - as always - don't overdo it. It's not healthy if you sit in front of your computers 8 hours straight.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,307 mod
    Yes, I would say that they are games. But there is no need to label yourself in any way if you don't want to. The only thing you are is "Lynne" and you have your likes and dislikes that are completely unique to you, and don't have to class as part of any other specific group if you don't want to.
  • forgetmeforgetme Posts: 4
    Does anyone play GTA serries yet? It is a game on Sony Play Station platform. It looks very good to me.
    @LaszloMark not all games have positive effect on your mind. But, it again depends on the type of games you are playing. Sometimes, children learn a lot from the games and sometimes they get spoiled. The layout, theme, graphics, structure of a game matters alot.

https://my.vanderbilt.edu/developmentalpsychologyblog/2014/04/effect-of-video-games-on-child-development/
  • LahiruLahiru Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I am a gamer and really love to play games on may pc i am playing COD online with my friends.
  • KokoroKokoro Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Hello
    Can't say "I'm a gamer,too".But I played some games,sure.
    I like MMORPG/RPG :D But after few days in any game I feel bored.
    Now I've DmC in my PC,but haven't time to play in it,of course:D
    Было бы смешно,если бы не было так больно.
    Never mind :Э
    @Kokoro DmC ??? is that a game ? what kind of game is that ??
    Who likes to play Rise of the Tomb raider ??
    @Lahiru unfortunately, I don't play games but you can tell us a bit more about it.
  • JuhaJuha Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Battlefield games are great. I don't have BF4, but I played BF3,BF2, BF1942, BF2142, BF...something something :)
    Right now I play DOOM(4) and Overwatch with PC and Just Cause 3 with PS4. Also testing some VR games with Gear VR.
    Hello,@Lahiru
    Yes,it's a game.The genre's slasher.Haven't you heard about it before?
    @Kokoro no, never heared of it !!
  • VahninVahnin Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Our life is a game , and we are actors
    edited August 2016
    @Lahiru
    Do you want to watch the trailer then?
    @Kokoro yes i do
  • ItaloCabralItaloCabral Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @Lynne I think you are a gamer :)