Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you like to go for walks where you live?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
Today, I went for a lovely walk during my lunch break. I don't know if this will work, but I have tried to show you a photograph:

I love walking around my local area, as I think it is a really pretty place to be.

Nothing is better, in my opinion, than being able to walk around in the sunshine.

What about you? Do you like walking? Where do you like to go?

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    At work, when I have spare time, I walk around the mall near us, do things like window shopping and then after that, deciding to eat my dinner there if I don't have a packed lunch. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    I like taking a packed lunch around where I live @kindgnice as it can be great to eat food in a different place for a change!
    edited April 2016
    I enjoyed that as well when my colleagues invited me to join them, but only if the restaurant doesn't charge for corkage. :lol: @GemmaRowlands
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,581 mod
    Well with a dog, I often go for walks. My only complaint is it's very flat where I live, so it's not a great way to get fit.

This is one local walk:-

Trees

@Lynne wrote: »
    Well with a dog, I often go for walks. My only complaint is it's very flat where I live, so it's not a great way to get fit.

This is one local walk:-

That's so green, clean and beautiful place. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,080 mod
    I prefer to walk everywhere but last night I was tired and caught the Skytrain back to where I'm staying, even though it wasn't very far.
    @mheredge wrote: »
    I prefer to walk everywhere but last night I was tired and caught the Skytrain back to where I'm staying, even though it wasn't very far.

You can treat it as a daily routine exercise. :)
    @mheredge wrote: »

You can treat it as a daily routine exercise. :)
    That looks lovely @Lynne !

I have just bought myself a FitBit which will count my steps and how many calories I burn, so I am hoping to go on some walks this weekend to make the most of it.
    That looks lovely @Lynne !

I have just bought myself a FitBit which will count my steps and how many calories I burn, so I am hoping to go on some walks this weekend to make the most of it.

How many calories you burn per week?
    I have only used it for 3 full days so far, however it is showing that I burn between 1,800 and 2,200 calories per day depending on how active I am on the day in question.

I have only used it for 3 full days so far, however it is showing that I burn between 1,800 and 2,200 calories per day depending on how active I am on the day in question.

Cool my friend! Keep it up! You'll be fitter in no time. ;)
    I hope so @kindgnice I have been swimming and for a long walk today so I have burned a lot already!
    I hope so @kindgnice I have been swimming and for a long walk today so I have burned a lot already!

For my case, I always walk from mall to our office because this is the only way to go there. It's a 15-20 minute walk which is kinda stressful
    but I have no choice. :disappointed:
    It is a shame that you have no choice, but the exercise is sure to help on a daily basis!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'walking'. It is my one and only sport which I am good at.
    I can walk for two hours consistently without rest.
    It is a shame that you have no choice, but the exercise is sure to help on a daily basis!

Yes my friend. That's why I look slim and thin. :lol:
    @Shiny03 wrote: »

Well I can say, it will be hard to walk for two hours with the hot summer. :sweat_smile:
    Well,I love to get sweat while walking on a hot summer day. @kindgnice
    Maybe I have masochism?!
    Shiny03 said:

That is great! I can walk for around that time too though my legs are sore at the end of it. How far do you manage to walk in that length of time?
    I find hiking in the countryside much easier than walking in the city @GemmaRowlands. My legs ache most after walking round museums though.
    But I think both have sweaty effects though. :sweat_smile: @mheredge
    @Shiny03 wrote: »
    Well,I love to get sweat while walking on a hot summer day. @kindgnice
    Maybe I have masochism?!

Seriously? Wow! I'm so envy. Now I know why my cousins told me when we're roaming around the Universal Studios in a very hot and sunny day, they told that, 'Hey, look at them(Japanese people), see? We're not using umbrellas at all!'

:sweat_smile:
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my pretty old habit to go for a morning walk to a nearby park. These days, I don't go for it as it's too hot early in the morning. But, I will resume it after two months.
    As a tourist, I get through a lot of shoe leather.
    @mheredge said:

As a tourist, I get through a lot of shoe leather.

Cool! Does it also help for cold weathers my friend?
    Yes I agree @mheredge I can walk for a long time in the countryside but get tired easily when I am walking around the shops.
    I walked about four hours, looking at the many churches in Iasi, a city in Romania @GemmaRowlands. My legs ache a bit now. Those pavements are hard on the feet!
    Yes @mheredge pavements are difficult indeed to walk on! I have been walking through forests all week and they are actually very nice to walk through indeed.
    @GemmaRowlands Great, you like it too?! Now,I'll have a company. I manage to walk 20km a day.
    It's about one and half hour. My legs get sore,too. But I think that's because I didn't make it a
    habit. And it helps relax legs by lying in bed and lifting legs high above head while sleeping. :smile: