Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Reverse racism

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 25,751 mod
Aamer Rahman is an Australian comic of Bangladeshi descent. He believes that even as a person of colour, he too can be a racist. Reverse racism exists. He explains the circumstances when he could be a reverse racist. It is both hilarious and informative.

He has an Australian accent, though not very strong.

Is racism an issue where you live? Do you think people are becoming more or less racist? Why do you think people are racist? What do you think?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/4/5/1510902/-Australian-comedian-puts-the-reverse-racism-concept-to-sleep-permanently

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, as you know French very well I would recommend a comedy 'Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au bon Dieu'. :)

There is inverse racism there. :) The black father doesn't want his black son to marry a white French girl as the white men have plundered Africa. :)

http://www.programme-tv.net/cinema/4717981-qu-est-ce-qu-on-a-fait-au-bon-dieu/
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,751 mod
    That's exactly what reverse racism is about @Xanthippe. I will see if I can watch this later. I have a faster internet connection in Bangkok, so it might work!
  • markovmarkov Posts: 32 ✭✭
    do u know algeria
  • markovmarkov Posts: 32 ✭✭
    silly question but kot of people dont
    @Markov, of course I do. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge We don't face any issue in our own country related to racism but on social media sometimes people try to bully us by calling poor Asians. There was an incident where I had to report a person to the facebook team for his racist comments about Asians.
    Recently, Hillary Clinton and Bill de Blasio took part in a racist joke. They have to face a lot of criticism on it.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/12/11414996/clinton-de-blasio-cp-time-joke
    markov wrote: »
    do u know algeria

I don't @markov, but I have met a few Algerians in France. Why do you ask?
    Our foreign minister said that Poland was departing from slavish behaviour towards the USA (he used a word 'murzyńskość' - negritude, but in English this word has a different connotation). Well, because Obama is black it had rather humorous effect. :)

'Murzyn' means a person of colour (black) but it is not offensive. However, it can be used in the sense of 'slave'.

The same topic ;)

@Xanthippe Initially I thought that it is an advertisement of a whiting cream. LOL May be in future, these companies are also blamed for racism by showing different colour tones of skin. ;)

@Bubbly, the guy would do better as a cream advertiser instead of ruining our reputation. ;)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,697 mod
    Any race that thinks badly of another race - based merely on race alone - is a racist. You can be prejudiced no matter which race you are a part of.
    edited April 2016
    @Xanthippe which cosmetic company, would you suggest to take him as a model? :)
    People are always suspicious of outsiders. Xenophobia is a common problem.
    @Bubbly, I think l'Oréal should engage him. ;) He is an ideal male model. ;) They would increase their sales I am sure. ;)
    And I would suggest showing the change of colour in both directions to make the ad universal: from black to white and from white to black. ;)
    @Xanthippe it depends on what are the views of Oreal company's CEO about racism? ;)
    Sometimes people do it intentionally in order to get some hidden motives.
    mheredge said:

People are always suspicious of outsiders. Xenophobia is a common problem.

Or rather his views on male beauty. ;) @Bubbly, Do you prefer a sickly pale decrepit weakling or healthily black sun-burned sportive meat-eater?
    @Xanthippe I can understand your feelings about this guy. The only suggestion is to take a big hammer ......and do whatever you want to do! ;)

That hammer looks positively lethal @Bubbly!
    @Bubbly, well, this would revive grey matter in his brain. He desperately needs it. ;)
    Are you sure it won't kill even more brain cells @Xanthippe. It give him the excuse he needs to plead total ineptitude.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,606 mod
    Say no to 'Racial Discrimination!!!!!!!'

:-1:
  • jackshawjackshaw Posts: 19 ✭✭
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @Xanthippe Initially I thought that it is an advertisement of a whiting cream. LOL May be in future, these companies are also blamed for racism by showing different colour tones of skin. ;)

great
    @mheredge, right, the poor guy is already ill equipped. :) It could make things worse. :)
    Equal treatment shall be implemented...
    @Xanthippe how can you hit an empty brain? ;)
    Ethical values shall be shared to different nationalities regardless of their races and their cultures. :)
    @Xanthippe @mheredge whilst reading about reversible racism, I found this article very interesting. I think reversible racism is an unconscious effort to satisfy yourself. :)
    https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/unconscious-racial-stereotypes-can-be-reversible