Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Internet addiction?

Have you heard anything about internet addiction?
Do you consider yourself as an internet addict?
How much time do you spend on the internet everyday? and how do you control your online hours?
Do you have any tips to prevent internet addiction?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,031 mod
    I think it's more a question of how much time do you spend on the internet for work and how much for leisure @miss_masa. Nowadays much is done using the web for work. Many people do find that huge amounts of their leisure time is taken up with it too, which is very sad.
  • susheelasusheela Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Yes internet is an addiction . I saw so many school going children use it for playing games & intern their studies will suffer . But I agree with @mheredge If it is use for work it is good, You can learn so many useful things through net like just we are are using it english forum. cooking , fitness etc..I am spending 3 to 4 hours daily on net
    It is good time pass tool for me
  • susheelasusheela Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Tips to prevent internet addition ,1) content control software ; this software determines what content wil be blocked 2) counselling
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my side it depend on the kind of activities you prefer to do via internet, Sometimes it's difficult to measures internet addictions to somebody due to, Other works you can't separate them from Internet. For instance software developers, programmers, system analysts, etc Internet it is among of key and necessary facility for their operations .
    But on other side some people use internet for leisure ( just relaxing ) here it depend on numbers hours spent by person per day.
    For the second question, I'm not Internet Addict! I'm just using internet when I'm required to do so, like the way I'm doing right now ( since I can't accesses this forum offline) and I have some control which I prefer to use to control myself or other people who are using my computers;

Automatic shutdown {according to hours or minutes used by computers}
    Hardware to disconnect flow of data from wireless sources/ router
    Automatic wireless dis connector
    Computers reminders

By putting you're obligation first (you're important activities according to prioritization) you can overcome internet addictions
    I think you have come up with very useful tools that might help parents control the time spent online by their children @peaceculture2. For adults though, it's a choice (though many make harmful decisions). Employers can certainly control use of social media and access to other sites by blocking them. One company where I worked, they blocked even email sites so all emails had to all go through the company system which was monitored.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,327 mod
    I can consider myself as 100% addict in LEO network. :lol:
  • ali9976ali9976 Posts: 4
    well i think involving physical activities may help you overcome the internet addiction.
    physical activity you name it there are lots of activities like
    1.tuning your body by going to gym if you look good physically it makes you a happier person (to my point of view internet addiction made you sad or self grieving )
    2.gardening
    3. going out in park or theme park
    4.go to library
    5.join some social servicing group by helping other makes you happy
    @ali9976 wrote: »
    well i think involving physical activities may help you overcome the internet addiction.
    physical activity you name it there are lots of activities like
    1.tuning your body by going to gym if you look good physically it makes you a happier person (to my point of view internet addiction made you sad or self grieving )
    2.gardening
    3. going out in park or theme park
    4.go to library
    5.join some social servicing group by helping other makes you happy

I like the 5th part the most. ;)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal experience is that I don't play any games on my mobile and also stay away from facebook. I think that is the only way to prevent internet addiction.
    I think this is sensible @Bubbly. I tend to use Facebook to keep up to date with news on Nepal and other main world news stories. So I tend to check in every day.
    @mheredge yes I can see it. Even, I join it to see your pictures or updates. :)
    Thank you for sharing this info @mheredge. At some point, you're helping me appreciate the news I hear everyday. :)
    Nowadays the internet ensures that there's no excuse for not knowing what is going on in the world.
    @mheredge said:

Nowadays the internet ensures that there's no excuse for not knowing what is going on in the world.

Hope to have more time to browse more news like yours. :)
    That said @kindgnice, just a few minutes glancing at the BBC news this morning, I saw headlines that I'm not sure if I would have seen if I'd just been relying on the Web.
    and I feel that sometimes 'Ignorance is bliss." :)
    @mheredge said:

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a hopeless druggy of LEO. My body's undulating when I type something on the forum.
    Can't stop...can't get enough....
    A: Can the Internet be addictive?
    B: Yes, any behavior that has mood altering properties can become addictive. There are numerous neurochemical changes that occur during pleasurable behaviors. These chemical changes can elicit a “hit” whereby one experiences a sense of temporary pleasure. Any pleasurable events are likely to be repeated. Furthermore addictive behaviors often serve the purpose of blocking other negative emotions or problems in our lives, further reinforcing the addictive cycle.

A: How do you prevent Internet Addiction?
    B: You prevent it by becoming conscious of your patterns of behavior and taking steps to monitor your use patterns. Telling other people about your Internet use will aid you in managing your behavior better. Also monitoring your emotions and identifying when you tend to use or abuse the Internet, (e.g. spending excessive amounts of time on-line) will help you prevent abuse and addiction.

A: What can you do about Internet addiction if you feel you have it?
    B: First, start by admitting it to yourself, than begin to tell other people in your life that you trust. Admitting it to yourself and those you care about is a first step in breaking the pattern of addiction. There are also support groups for IA although many of them are on-line which may defeat the purpose. It is also recommended that you consult an addictions professional or psychologist familiar with Internet addiction.

A: Can using the Internet be a simple pass-time or hobby?
    B: Yes, it can be. There are millions of people who are on-line and are not abusing the net, nor are they addicted. My research suggests that approximately 4-8% of regular Internet users meet the criteria for Internet addiction. It is not an epidemic, but it is a real problem. Again, spending a lot of time on-line is not the problem (although it can be), rather it is how that time spent impacts your life that determines the seriousness of the problem.
    Use this link to view those questions about Internet addiction
    http://virtual-addiction.com/faq/
    I don't think that I'm addicted @peaceculture2 as I can very happily leave all devices behind (including the tablet or phone) and go out for the day and not feel I'm missing anything. of course I need it for my work, but I tend to control how much time I spend looking at the screen. I am however hopelessly addicted to coffee.
    mheredge wrote: »
    I don't think that I'm addicted @peaceculture2 as I can very happily leave all devices behind (including the tablet or phone) and go out for the day and not feel I'm missing anything. of course I need it for my work, but I tend to control how much time I spend looking at the screen. I am however hopelessly addicted to coffee.

Congratulations,nice strategies .
    I'm going to avoid using Facebook for the next ten days, at least till the Brexit referendum is over as I'm getting too depressed with the news on this.
  • MahkameMahkame Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I think with the arrival of Face book ,Telegram,and so on, they have made life much easier in some way , and that is why some people spend more time on these new technologies Maybe most of the time that we spend on the internet is useful and beneficial, but sometimes it is a waste of a time without doing any meaningful work. If we know the negative harm side of using too much internet, it might help us to reduce the amount of time .
    What's Telegram @Mahkame? I use Facebook and Whatapp (occasionally). I don't Tweet though, as I just don't have the time.
    mheredge for one week I used the telegram , It is a good place to communicate but I don't use it.
    I'm curious @Mahkame. I didn't know telegrams still existed. Is it a kind of app or do you really mean it is something that the post office will send? I'm not even sure how I would receive it if you were to send me one!
    I really loved your comments thank you !

mheredge yes, Telegram , also Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter ,Face book are used in a wide range.

Telegram is a kind of a software that we are able to download it from the internet , and install it on my cellular phone or computer .This software enable us to communicate with people world wide on different topics in different groups, by joining these groups we can transfer information according to the theme , each group has its own admin or admins to control the group in different ways. People can chat , send messages , pictures ,and Pdf files. Besides, other information will be transmitted by the post office as well .If I want to contact with you through Telegram I have to contact with you by your phone number ,and also you should have my phone as well .

Apps: Are a group of applications which are download from a soft ware in cellular phone. on the other words ,we are able to use different facilities and services from our applications as forms of informative icons in order to live better .
    So is Telegram a bit like Facebook @Mahkame?
  • hiruniiiihiruniiii Posts: 5
    Addicted to internet! :# :#
    The internet is amazing. Within 20 minutes of the terrible attack in France last night, although I'm the other side of the world, everyone knew about it.