Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What strange food combinations do you enjoy?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,307 mod
I have just eaten my dinner, and was talking to a friend while I was eating, and he found it odd that I chose to dip chocolate in yogurt before eating it. I will admit that some of my meal choices can be strange at times, but it got me thinking:

What things do you eat that you think are normal, but everyone around you thinks are strange? I look forward to hearing from you all!

Comments

• faiz49faiz49 Posts: 159 ✭✭
    i just combine the tea with the orange, i think it will be streng but it just commonly
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    Banana, peanut butter and honey make a good combination @GemmaRowlands What's the matter with him, chocolate and yogurt sounds very good. Yesterday I had a chocolate momo (dumpling like a wonton. That is a little bit weird though.
  • EugenyAntonovEugenyAntonov Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands, chocolate and yogurt is very normal combination. They go together well. What do you think about cheese and honey? Or about a sandwich like this: bread, butter, honey and cheese?
  • EugenyAntonovEugenyAntonov Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    The strangest food combination is Okroshka, a cold Russian soup. I like it. If you want to know, what is it, find Okroshka in Wikipedia. I can't post link here.
    From the description @EugenyAntonov, it sounds delicious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okroshka

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    @EugenyAntonov I think that cheese and honey would taste a little odd - I'm not sure I would like that!
  • EulaYoungEulaYoung Posts: 11 ✭✭
    the strangest food is sweet dish with curry
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    ice cream with cold dring.
    There are some really good curries with fruit @EulaYoung. Fish and green mango come to mind. In Thai cooking they put chili and a bit of sugar in many of their dishes.
    mheredge said:

There are some really good curries with fruit @EulaYoung. Fish and green mango come to mind. In Thai cooking they put chili and a bit of sugar in many of their dishes.

This is true! I always put a few sultanas in my curry, and there is often coconut in curry, too.
    I love coconut milk in the Thai curries @GemmaRowlands. Green mangoes are really wicked too, and I suppose unripe ones would work. Sweet ones might not though.
    mheredge said:

I love coconut milk in the Thai curries @GemmaRowlands. Green mangoes are really wicked too, and I suppose unripe ones would work. Sweet ones might not though.

Yes, I love mangos! I always have mango chutney with my curries, too.
    Today there was a fruit tasting at lunch time, where we were able to sample some interesting and exotic local fruits. In particular there was a fruit I'd never tried before, that comes from a plant that's like a kind of Chinese Lantern, which is delicious and I think used in cooking. The sweet tree tomato I'm familiar with in Nepal, though I was told it in fact originated in South America.
    mheredge said:

Today there was a fruit tasting at lunch time, where we were able to sample some interesting and exotic local fruits. In particular there was a fruit I'd never tried before, that comes from a plant that's like a kind of Chinese Lantern, which is delicious and I think used in cooking. The sweet tree tomato I'm familiar with in Nepal, though I was told it in fact originated in South America.

Can you remember what the fruit was called that you tried? I love trying new fruits - it's amazing just how many types there are that never actually make it over to my country!
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    i like pepsi with ice creame.i don't eat ice creame without pepsi.

i like pepsi with ice creame.i don't eat ice creame without pepsi.

That does sound odd! But I am sure you think it tastes nice.
    I've had this before @GemmaRowlands and it actually works really well.
    Interesting @mheredge do you have to freeze the pepsi or just pour it on and eat it like that?
    You just add the Pepsi to a large spoon of ice cream. It all fizzes up and it's sort of like a milk skake @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

You just add the Pepsi to a large spoon of ice cream. It all fizzes up and it's sort of like a milk skake @GemmaRowlands.

Sounds interesting! I am going to the shops later so I might get some pepsi and then have a look and see what it tastes like!
  • JapAus888JapAus888 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I dip chips in soft served vanilla ice cream. I also like dipping crisps in melted chocolate. :)
    JapAus888 said:

I dip chips in soft served vanilla ice cream. I also like dipping crisps in melted chocolate. :)

Wow, now I think that is an odd choice. But if you enjoy it then I suppose it doesn't matter!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fried ice cream

Ice cream Spring roll

Sandwiches with whipped cream

Goodness @Shiny03! Not my cup of tea at all! But give me durian flavoured ice cream instead please! As they say, each to their own.
    edited November 2016
    Hell nooo it does exist, durain ice cream in the world (screaming) :fearful: @mheredge
    And what's more, it seems that people love it...

Me too! I love the stuff @Shiny03. I've had it in Hong Kong, SIngapore and in Malaysia. Sadly it doesn't seem to be a flavour that the famous Italian ice cream makers are into.
    You crave for it. :fearful: You make me feel that maybe I should give it a try...
    I'm hoping I can find it in Thailand @Shiny03. I know that it is possible to buy the fruit as I remember seeing it in the market when I was there last January.
    It(a whole one) costs 4000 yen to 7000 yen each in Japan. Can you believe that? @mheredge
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A strange combination of food in my city is 'Naan with Samosa'. I didn't try it yet!