Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Prince Philip's best gaffes: Royalty don't you just love them?!

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,446 mod
Is it just the British monarchy that make headlines every time they sneeze, or it just as bad in other countries that have royalty? Prince Philip much be the champion though. He may not be king (his wife Queen Elizabeth carries that job), but he certainly is king when it comes to putting his foot in his mouth. Plain stupid or downright rude and insensitive, he is famous for his gaffes.

Seeing an exhibition of "primitive" Ethiopian art, he muttered: "It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons." To a 13-year-old whilst visiting a space shuttle."Well, you'll never fly in it, you're too fat to be an astronaut." Then to Tom Jones after his Royal Variety Performance: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?". On a tour of Canada: "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves." When accepting a figurine from a woman during a visit to Kenya he asked: "You are a woman aren't you?" On an official visit to China, he told a group of British exchange students living in Xian: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty–eyed." The Duke asked a British student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten then?" Then to a British tourist in Hungary: "You can't have been here that long — you haven't got a pot belly." He asked a Scottish driving instructor in Oban: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" At the opening reception of a new £18million British Embassy in Berlin: "It's a vast waste of space." Then at a Buckingham Palace drinks party, he told group of female Labour MPs: "Ah, so this is feminist corner then." To the managing director of a wind farm company, the prince said wind turbines were "absolutely useless" and "an absolute disgrace". (This one caused quite a stir).

What do you think of royalty? In Britain they cost a lot of taxpayers' money (they don't pay tax either) so republican would like to see the back of the institution. But then again, the thought of President Cameron.... Please, long live the Queen (she's 90 years old this year, God bless her).

More of Phil's best gaffes can be found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-philip/9883276/Duke-of-Edinburghs-best-gaffes.html

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, well, now we have our PAD so I guess even Prince Philip would be better. Even much better.
    You see you never know. :)
    edited April 2016
    The tripartition of power (Polish Montesquieu):

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,446 mod
    Hahaha yes, @Xanthippe, it has been pointed out that the UK is far off with the Royal Family than a President Cameron or President Blair-character.

@filauzio, in answer to your question about Charles and Di, it was all Philip's fault that poor old Charley didn't marry Camilla in the first place. You see years ago when he was a young whipper-snapper, Charley quite fancied Lady Camilla but his dad didn't really approve of the match. So Prince Charles got sent off to sea to serve in the Navy, while Camilla was married off to someone else.

When Charles came back and was being set up to get married (as one does), of course the girl he fancied was spoken for, so he was set up with Di. She was 17 years his junior (if I remember correctly). I don't think the Queen ever really liked her, as maybe she didn't have the right small-talk or goodness, but later in the marriage there were lots of stories that maybe Diana wasn't faithful (and with more than one fella). I didn't really follow the gruesome details, only as you can imagine, the news was always taking every opportunity to wade in and sir the hornet's nest when it came to royal scandal.

Diane was a bit of a victim. She was anorexic, probably suffered all sorts of psychological problems, but also had her manipulative side. She was adored for her beautiful looks, but perhaps wasn't really cut out for the demands of the job of being first lady to the heir to the throne.

It is a case of a happy ending though. Camilla and Charles are now married at last and in the end, Charles got his girl after all. If he becomes king at all, then he would be succeeded by William. It is thought that the Queen is hanging on as long as possible, maybe in the hope that she will be succeeded by William. I'm not sure whether there have ever been any jumps in the line of succession before, so it's an interesting question what might happen.

This article nearly fooled me yesterday, discussing the Queen's take on Brexit.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/01/exclusive-royal-family-considering-dramatic-brexit-intervention
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Queen Elizabeth will survive Prince Charles, @mheredge; among others feathered hats' craftsmen should be the most concerned in the matter.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    I'm sure she will if her mother is anything to go by. The Queen Mother lived till she was over 100. Philip is a bit older than the Queen. I think he's being suffering from some bronchial problems. I expect Buck House might be a bit drafty.
    @mheredge, poor Philip exposed to dangerous draughts. :) :) :)
    He needs to make sure he keeps his fur muffler handy @Xanthippe. He's a strong advocate for hunting those poor foxes. Not that he'd do anything so sensible as USE the fur.
    @mheredge, poor foxes. :( So cruelly robbed of their furs. :( I saw a fox in front of Staatsbibliothek in Berlin. He wasn't afraid at all, just curious. :) I have read that there are many of them in Berlin. :)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,072 mod
    I am sorry, but I can`t find the newspaper where there are some politicions are pictured. One is making a nap, one is leaving through an album, one is phoning.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    Australian comedian in his stand up told about meeting with Queen and Prince Philip. He said there: 'The thing is when you hear about Prince Philip and the things he say, they look offensive on paper. But when you there in person it's just like your old drunk uncle telling you a dirty joke on Christmas Day. And it's what you need cause it release the tension 'you just meet the Queen'. It's the weirdest thing you ever do in your life.'

@Xanthippe comparison PAD to Prince Philip is impossible. PAD says just rubbish and with really awful style.
    @hazel27, well, I do agree but who on earth did elect him?
    @Xanthippe I haven't a clue!
    @hazel27, the man has no character at all. He does nothing but sign everything he is given.
    In PAD statements is lots of words but nothing content. @Xanthippe
    It's taken a couple of weeks, but it seems photographers were busy clicking away during Harry's week off, working in a remote village to help rebuild a school.

He seems to be having fun messing around with the Invictus Games team today according to his Facebook page.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/heroic-prince-harry-rebuilds-remote-092308094/
    Well, I wish our PAD would do the same. He could make himself useful, at least once. :) Sigh.
    What a brave prince and still not married. ;)
    Very eligible bachelor @Xanthippe, lol! And he does seem to have all the fun.

Not to be outshone by his younger brother though, it has just been announced that William and Kate are going to drop in to Kathmandu on 25 April, commemorating one year after the quake. (It's no big deal though as they were already going to Bhutan and Kathmandu is the most logical route. The one and only Bhutanese airline doesn't fly to many places.)
This discussion has been closed.