Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Phrasal Verb Challenge #6 : Ring back/ Ring off/ Ring up.

DoraDora Teacher's PetPosts: 3,068 mod
edited February 13 in Your English Challenge
- Ring back ( phone again.)
- Ring off (end a telephone call.)
- Ring up (telephone (to call))
Post edited by Dora on

Comments

• DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 3,068 mod
    Guys,
    @Bubbly, @Frank, @Tinka, @kindgnice etc.
    Won't you come and play with me? ;)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,545 mod
    edited April 2016
    More idioms, more fun! @Dora :)

I rang up my client from India, but she unintentionally rang off. Thus, I decided to ring back her number for a second try.

I rang up my client from India, but she unintentionally rang off. So, I decided to ring her back for a second try.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Yesterday I was completely fed up with everything, and when you told me that John left our group, I just couldn’t listen anymore, so I rang off. Sorry. This morning I tried to ring you back, but you didn’t answer. Can you ring me up in the evening, please?

-----------------------

Yesterday I was completely fed up with everything, and when you told me that John had left our group, I just couldn’t listen anymore, so I rang off. Sorry. This morning I tried to ring you back, but you didn’t answer. Can you ring me up this evening, please?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,697 mod
    edited April 2016
    I was waiting for my jeweller to ring me about my ring. Unfortunately he didn't ring me up, so I decided to give him a ring myself. However, the very moment I started talking about my ring he rang off. Now I wondered what would be better: to ring him back or to throw the towel into the ring (throw in the towel) and let him keep the ring.

------------------

I was waiting for my jeweller to ring me about my ring. Unfortunately he didn't ring me up, so I decided to give him a ring myself. However, the very moment I started talking about my ring he rang off. Now I am wondering what would be better: to ring him back or to throw in the towel and let him keep the ring.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,545 mod
    Perhaps it's a ghost or a very rare signal intervention? :lol: @Dora
    Possibly @kindgnice.
    C'mon, @filauzio. I would love to see your response to the challenge. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I usually don't ring back to those clients who ring off because of some issues that cannot be settled down by ringing up.

-------------------

I don't usually ring back clients who ring off because of some issues that cannot be settled by ringing up.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If @Bubbly rang up I wouldn't dare to ring off lest she would never talk to me again.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @Dora rang up me, she rang back a few moments later, as soon as I answered the call, then, she rang off.
    Other than mentioning me on the forum to incite me to join the challenge, she couldn't restrain from rang me up; next step would certainly be disguising herself as the postman: Help !! :D

---------------------

Dora rang me up, she rang back a few moments later, but as soon as I answered the call she rang off.

Other than mentioning me on the forum to get me to join the challenge, she couldn't restrain herself from ringing me up; her next step will certainly be disguising herself as the postman: Help!
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,244 mod
    filauzio said:

@Dora rang up me, she rang back a few moments later, as soon as I answered the call, then, she rang off.

Other than mentioning me on the forum to incite me to join the challenge, she couldn't restrain from rang me up; next step would certainly be disguising herself as the postman: Help !! :D

She couldn't restrain herself from ringing me up @filauzio.
    @Xanthippe Then, I will sing this poem. ;)

Ring-a-ring o' roses,
    A pocket full of posies,
    A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
    We all fall down.
    Xanthippe said:

If @Bubbly rang up I wouldn't dare to ring off lest she would never talk to me again.

Do you know where this nursery rhyme comes from @Bubbly? It's very historic, dating back to the Plague of 1665.
    @mheredge that's interesting. I never knew about it.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, I didn't know it either. :)
    edited April 2016
    Ring-a-ring o' roses, (the first symptom of the plague was a circular rash)
    A pocket full of posies, (the streets were smelling from the stench of death)
    A-tishoo! A-tishoo! (the next symptom of the plague was continuous sneezing)
    We all fall down. (all fall down dead).

However Wiki says it dates back to 1790s and similar rhymes are known from across Europe. I was taught that the song originally described the plague, specifically the Great Plague of London, but it seems folklorists reject this idea.
    Post edited by mheredge on
    Thank you for your correction, @mheredge ;)
    Have you ever rang off on anyone @filauzio? In the old days you 'put the phone down' or cut someone off. Now it's all about switching off.
    Yes @mheredge, because they often are advertising calls intended to steal me of time when I'm short of it.
    However I'm afraid that my way to answer a smartphone's call, nowadays, has become oldfashioned.
    I'm continually coming across people who hold their phone flat on their palm, both being parallel to the ground, levelled up with and close to their mouth, as if they were about to bite on the phone- pizza, or delivering one imagined kiss, by one whispering blow, to fly its way to their beloved one.
    At least this was my thought when I looked at one of these people on the first place; when I got closer, however, I heard that a quarrel was going on between the two kisses-blowers or pizza-eaters.
    So far I can't resolve the mistery, therefore I keep hiding myself when answering the phone outdoors in so silly a manner.
    I've sometimes seen people trying to take a bite out of their phones too @filauzio. It looks very strange. And I doubt it improves the acoustics. I try and hide in a doorway if I'm outside, to minimise the background noise.
    filauzio said:

Hi @filauzio.
    Glad hearing from you. BTW - I didn't ring off. The connection went off. :D
    edited April 2016
    Hello @Xanthippe. Welcome back. :) I had been ringing you up for months but seemed that you were busy on the other line so I rang off, hoping that you would call me back.
    Post edited by Dora on
    @Frank said:

I was waiting for my jeweller to ring me about my ring. Unfortunately he didn't ring me up, so I decided to give him a ring myself. However, the very moment I started talking about my ring he rang off. Now I wondered what would be better: to ring him back or to throw the towel into the ring (throw in the towel) and let him keep the ring.

Well, this is nothing less than great, thank you @Frank :D
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,697 mod
    You're welcome @filauzio!
This discussion has been closed.