Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

All about Korea! :D

ElleElle Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
Hello my dear friends!

I think there are some people who are interested in and want to talk about Korea.
I'm Korean, so It would be my honor if I could help you to understand or know more about Korea. :wink:
Please feel free to leave posts if you have any questions, or something you want to talk about.
It could be anything, such as culture, food, K-pop, K-beauty, Korean (people or language), etc.

Comments

• ElleElle Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    @peaceculture2 @kindgnice I've created a new discussion about Korea because the topic we were talking about is not quite suitable in 'What do you do in the kitchen' discuss.

please feel free to tell us anything about Korea.
    I'm happy to hear that from you. :)
    @peaceculture2 I was impressed that you've watched Jumong (주몽). I watched the tv drama, too. I liked it. That I'm so proud of my country is natural reaction as a Korean, right..? ;)
    @kindgnice you know Korean, 안녕하세요. :) When you know how to say 'hi' in other language, that means you are absolutely ready to visit the country.. ;)
    If you gimme your name, I'll write it down in Korean for you.
    I've told @Bubbly her name in Korean, 버블리. :blush:
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic movie, Amazing actors and technological with historical view. JUMONG
    Yeah, Thanks @Elle
    edited March 2016
    @peaceculture2 if you like historical Korean drama, I would recommend Huh Jun (허준). I'm not sure the English name is correct or not though. It's about Korean traditional medicine, such as acupuncture and moxibustion, and doctors. It was broadcast from 1999 to 2000 and led Huh Jun syndrome. It was legendary hit. There is a re-make version of Huh Jun in 2013, but I didn't watch it. I guarantee the original one is better! :)
    :) I meant 21st century movies but which reflect old history. like Jumong which acted 2000's but portraying old stories about Kings and their kingdoms. I planned to watch 'the man called God' , I'll try to find it. @Elle
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,405 mod
    @Elle: Wow, you are great Korean teacher. I guess you are also teaching Korean courses there in Canada, aren't you? :)

For my first name, it's a top secret. Hahaha. But we can talk about it via Skype/PM. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,098 mod
    What do people in South Korea think about North Korea @Elle? I know the world look on their leader as crazy, but what about the ordinary people who are living there? The reason I ask is that I visited North Korea for a week last year and find it interesting when I see the reaction of South Koreans when I tell them I have been there!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Elle it seems that you are determined to help me in learning this language. ;) I like the symbolic letters of Korean language and I hope that I will learn it one day. :)
    I heard North Korea do not allow internet, do they? @mheredge
    @peaceculture2 yes, Huh Jun (허준) is also filmed in 1999 to 2000 and its time background is in 1500~ 1600 of Korea, like Ju Mong (주몽). :)
    @kindgnice I wish, but I'm not teaching Korean here in Canada. Thank you for your compliment. :)

If you have any question about Korea or Korean, please let me know. I'm willing to be a Korean teacher in the forum.. haha
    @mheredge wow!! you've visited North Korea? How was the experience?
    I know foreigners are allowed to visit there, but South Korean (Except some politicians).

Well... basically, we think that North Korean are so poor and couldn't get something to eat properly most people. We heard that they are struggling with starvation and dying of severe famine... :( Also they get brainwashed by government.

It has been over 70 years since North and South Korea separated.
    It's long period time.. so the more time goes, the more there are culture difference and even used words difference even though it's written in the same Korean.

South Korean would know about North Korea through TV news or newspapers, or media.
    We don't know much details about North Korea, but there are some North Korean in South Korea who escaped from North Korea. Their story of how escaped is so scary and shocking...

Because IT technology has been developed, there is internet in North Korea as well. Therefore, they could hear about South Korea, like dramas, snacks, culture, story of how well South Korean live, etc. so easier than before. (This also I was heard as well from media.)

It's very sad story.. being divided into two countries from One country.
    edited March 2016
    @Bubbly yes, I hope so too. As I said before, once you remember all Korean alphabets, it's easy to write and read.. :) Actually, I've taught Korean to some friends of LEN on Skype..
    If you want, we can do it, too. ;)
    @navidafrasiabian I think this section might be interesting for you.. ;)
    @peaceculture2 I'm not sure about it.. It's quite hard to know any details about North Korea as South Korean.

However, I believe there is internet, but probably certain few people who get permission could use internet with very strict regulation.
    @Elle you say 'Because IT technology has been developed, there is internet in North Korea as well. Therefore, they could hear about South Korea, like dramas, snacks, culture, story of how well South Korean live, etc. so easier than before. (This also I was heard as well from media.)

I don't think the internet is available to many people and it is also closed off from access to the worldwide web. When I was there, I managed to get an email out, but only by asking the British Embassy to send it for me. However, there is a huge blackmarket in DVDs and CDs or even pendrives with movies and music from the outside world. Somewhere I read that maybe half of the population have some awareness of the outside world, though I can imagine it is still limited.

You are right about brainwashing except aren't we all brainwashed in our different ways? Everyone tends to think that their system is the right one ('God bless America' and all that).

I think most people are very poor and I am sure that there have been times when there has been starvation there. The land is farmed very inefficiently and I'd be surprised if they can produce enough to feed themselves. There were next to no vehicles on the roads outside the cities, and not even that much public transport. Most people seemed to walk or use bicycles.
    @Elle: You have a kind heart Elle, I'm sure being a teacher is not a hard task for you. ;) If ever I found Korean in this forum, I will re-route them in this section. :)
    @mheredge you know much more about North Korea than me.. ;)

yes, what you said was all right. I didn't mean that most people can use internet in North Korea. As you said, most people are starving and could do something we couldn't even imagine to get some food...

In major big cities included a capital city, it seems okay to live and people look good enough, but that is so small piece comparing to whole country...
    I was told by a friend who has been to North Korea as a tourist. They had to tour certain places only with guide and weren't allow to take any photo of military..

Even though the leader tries to show other countries some places or cities of North Korea where looks good and well-developed like modern country, people from outside of North Korea know the reality there, they are under high pressure, forced to work, severe famine...

The leader focuses on military rather than its economy or people..
    @kindgnice thank you.. I like teaching. It's not because I know something more than others, because I like to share something I know with others. :)
    @Elle OK. It means once I learn Korean, you will speak with me in the Korean language. :open_mouth:
    @Elle I saw your post about North and South Korea, I do still hope that the rivalry from both places will come to an end. On the flip side, I admire your perception of sharing knowledge to others, as it's one of significant parts of our learning curve. ;)
    @Bubbly yes! How great it would be! wouldn't it? ;) I'll learn Arabic as well! woo hoo~ :blush:
    @kindgnice yes, South and North Korea have lots of difficulties to unify at this moment..
    It's pretty sad that we are separated even though we are the same people..

Just bring it to me if you have any question about Korea or Korean. ;)
    @Elle it means that no more English with Elle. ;)
    @Bubbly yes, but still need English to explain them until we get fluently of each language.. And.... we love English, don't we? ;)
    @Elle Yes. It will go like this. :)
  • yara24yara24 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Hi ELLe I love korea soooooo much .I've been watching Kdramas and listening to kpop since five years.I am huge fan .I like every thing about korea.the Kdramas are amazing that touch my heart.Its very popular in my country.
    I managed to take all the photos I wanted to @Elle, except one - of the top of a building that was being demolished. I think this was because it wasn't 'pretty'!

I only saw views of the villages and countryside from the car when we went out of the capital. I did get a change to walk around a bit in a couple of small towns. People looked poor but not starving there, but I have no idea how tough it might be in tiny villages. But there are very poor people in many other countries too.