Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Old age

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 27,055 mod
Are you afraid of getting old?
Do you lie about your age when you're ask 'how old are you?'
What do you think life will be like when you reach 64?

Here, the wise old Ass of the Backpage of the Nepali Times (who @filauzio and @Bubbly have encountered before) gives some useful tips on aging gracefully.

I particularly love the comment on how 'In vogue these days are fluorescent green boxer shorts that glow in the dark, which is specially useful when there is load-shedding.' Very topical considering @Bubbly's interesting new topic on powercuts. Maybe this is a solution to blackouts @aladdin?

http://nepalitimes.com/regular-columns/backside/when-ass-becomes-64,679

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    As anyone on this forum knows I don't lie about my age, but I don't tell people how old I am either. I don't think it's worth lying about it.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    When people ask my age, I always say secret! :lol:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I usually tell people but sometimes I say '21' just to see their reaction.
    Hahaha. Nice @mheredge! Now I know why you typed it in my celebration thread. ;)
    Well I am 21 and bit actually @kindgnice.
    Thank you for the confirmation my friend. :) @mheredge
  • susheelasusheela Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I am not afraid of old age ,but I am afraid of aches & pains along with it . However as long as physically & mentally fit . age is only a number for me
    susheela wrote: »
    I am not afraid of old age ,but I am afraid of aches & pains along with it . However as long as physically & mentally fit . age is only a number for me

That's great to hear from you @susheela. As they always say, let's live life to the fullest. :)
    You're as old as you feel.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge ageing is a reality that we cannot deny no matters what type of measures we take to control it. I think we should enjoy this part of life as well. There is nothing to be worried about the ageing but our attitude towards it.
    edited April 2016
    @mheredge: When I was a kid, I was afraid of the word 'death' especially for those old aged. But as time goes by, I realize that we can't predict what will happen in the future and only God has the last word when it's really our ending point.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kindgnice said:

' .. only God has the last word when it's really our ending point.'

I think you're right, but I also think that we play a role in the course to that point; we, in the first place, are the maker of our fate, which implies we make the way we're going to age too.
    To some extent you might be the god of yourself; it's up to you the way you'll look and feel like when you'll be getting older.
    As long as I'm concerned, however, I 'm sure to be persisting in my teens, or, at worse, in my youthfulness but not further on.
    I can assure you because all the people I'm coming across, keep greeting me by saying ' hallo ', which, in my country Italy, you wouldn't be expected to use when saluting an older man, else you would turn out disrespectful.
    Probably they hadn't noticed my hair growing everywhere they aren't supposed to, as it's the case with older people, other than having my fluorescent green boxer shorts obviously.
    The Ass lists for us: ear canal, eye brows, nostrils..
    Well, let's say I'm a hairy bright mature young guy.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @filauzio: Yup, at some point we have to take good care of our body and our everyday lifestyle. ;)
    @filauzio you are SO Italian!

@kindgnice I totally agree with @filauzio "we, in the first place, are the maker of our fate, which implies we make the way we're going to age too. To some extent you might be the god of yourself; it's up to you the way you'll look and feel like when you'll be getting older."

I'm definitely feeling my age today though! Going to bed early last night was NOT a good idea after all.
    I felt guilty when you said:
    mheredge wrote: »
    Going to bed early last night was NOT a good idea after all.

As for me, I have no choice but to sleep in midnight since that's my usual arrival time at home from work. Maybe I have to consider finding my new work.
    What do you mean ' SO Italian ! ' @mheredge ? :) I hope not a hairy guy, ahah.

@kindgnice, @mheredge, do you think going to bed earlier or later might have anything to do with getting older ? As for me, no matter how tired I've got I'm a diehard owl.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Well, if the hat fits...

I've mentioned my grandmother was Italian @filauzio. My father was almost stereotypically English in his appearance, while my uncle was very Italiano, with a completely different build and colouring. One time when I was quite small, I caught sight of him stripped to the waist shaving in the bathroom (he generally had to shave twice a day). Innocently I asked my father why uncle had fur on his back. I was never allowed to forget my gaff.
    filauzio wrote: »
    What do you mean ' SO Italian ! ' @mheredge ? :) I hope not a hairy guy, ahah.

@kindgnice, @mheredge, do you think going to bed earlier or later might have anything to do with getting older ? As for me, no matter how tired I've got I'm a diehard owl.

Oh you're a night owl as well. Me, I don't have any choice at all, as I mentioned this is my usual time of arrival from work. @filauzio
    You're right, @kindgnice, sometimes our working time is able to delay our instinctive bedtime, so we can't but grinning and bearing it.
    I suppose, @mheredge, that technically you didn't make any gaffes at all; I think that when one's back is thick with hair, that's a fur, isn't it ? Well let's not make the fur.. oops.. fly upon the matter.
    I suppose nowadays hypertrichosis isn't anymore as common as it could have been long ago, but I'm probably wrong, it's maybe just a matter of depilating concerning more often men too.
    In Nepal the mountain people are pretty hairless @filauzio (if they want to grow a beard, they are lucky to be able to cultivate a half dozen whisps of hair). But some of the lowland people can be quite hairy.
    Let's don't split hairs.. oops, about the matter, @mheredge, everyone has got the hair they deserve, however as The Ass teaches, if you have lobes like a lynx, then there's no way out, you're getting older; well not you as @mheredge, I don't want to be misunderstood !! :D
    @filauzio don't tell me that split hair is a sign of ageing as I have many split hair. It means that I am old now. ;)
    You shouldn't split hairs on matters of no importance, @Bubbly , you'd better not to turn a hair when facing them, rather: that's the best way to keep your youthfulness. You're just allowed to twirl your hair when you happen to read one of my incomprehensible posts. :)
    You don't mean splitting hairs but split ends @Bubbly. I think the best way to treat these is to have a haircut!
    mheredge wrote: »
    You don't mean splitting hairs but split ends @Bubbly. I think the best way to treat these is to have a haircut!

I should consider having my hair cut due to hot weather here in Philippines. ;)
    @mheredge split ended hair are really annoying especially if I want to attend an event without covering my head with dupatta. Yes, trimming is the best way to deal with this issue.
    edited April 2016
    Try using aloe veras instead. ;)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Are you afraid of getting old?
    Like childhood it's also a part of my life. Hope I'll enjoy it.

Do you lie about your age when you're ask 'how old are you?'
    Never. But most of the time people wrongly guess of my age. They always guess less than actual.

What do you think life will be like when you reach 64?
    I would like to think that life will be fine and active when I reach 64.

Here, the wise old Ass of the Backpage of the Nepali Times (who @filauzio and @Bubbly have encountered before) gives some useful tips on aging gracefully.
    Ok, I will read it.

I particularly love the comment on how 'In vogue these days are fluorescent green boxer shorts that glow in the dark, which is specially useful when there is load-shedding.' Very topical considering @Bubbly's interesting new topic on powercuts. Maybe this is a solution to blackouts @aladdin?
    Cool and nice.
    @dudukot Thank you for a beautiful elaboration. :) I still didn't consult remedies for split ended hair. But, sooner I will do it.

Load shedding is a constant issue that we can't get rid of easily.