Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What would you do if you won the lottery?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,327 mod
We probably all dream of having more money, but for a select few people, winning the lottery actually becomes a reality!

What would you do if you won?

For me, I would have a house built for myself - not a huge house, but just perfect for what I need. I would then put a lot of money into a few local charities that I believe in. I don't think I would like to change lots about the way I live, though, as I am quite happy with the way that things are at the moment.

Comments

• peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I will win a lottery, I shall buy Arsenal Football Club and donate 40% of my money(received from lottery) to orphanage centers and charity organizations
    We can't stop learning Peace to you
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I think I'd give away most of it to charities that help homeless people and refugees.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    Those both sound wonderful ideas! I, too, would like to be involved with my local sports club if I had the money to be able to do so.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will definitely use it for the welfare purpose as it is an additional money. :)
    I think another thing that I would want to do would be to take my family and friends away on holiday - and book an entire hotel just for us to enjoy!
    I think a big problem with winning so much money is that suddenly you find you have more relatives and friends than you ever thought you had!
    Yes I agree with that @mheredge and I would try not to tell anybody about my win if at all possible, though I know it's not always easy to keep things quiet!
  • AchaAcha Posts: 49 ✭✭
    i'd buy lots of lands, build houses, rent it, and be on vacation forever.
    Won't you get bored @Acha, being on holiday forever?
  • AchaAcha Posts: 49 ✭✭
    @mheredge holidays aren't always the same, or you wouldn't call them holidays no? i mean, sure i'll get bored if i stay in china or japan for 100 days straight.
  • suecynsuecyn Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Well, I'd buy or make built a house for my family, then I'd save a part of the money in the bank, and finally I'd donate the rest to nonprofit organizations.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    Well just in case you do win @suecyn, don't forget that we are a not for profit organisation. :wink:

If I win the lottery this Friday (fingers crossed), I will employ more teachers to work with me on the Network.

A quick note to everyone: When we talk about winning the lottery in general, unless we have won, with odds of millions to one of winning, we use 2nd conditional "If" statements, not 1st conditional which are more like "When I win the lottery".

For example:-

If I won the lottery, I would employ more teachers to work with me on the Network.

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/conditionaltext.html
    @Acha that is a great idea, it would certainly set you up for life!

@Lynne I like to say "when" I win the lottery because I have decided it WILL happen eventually! I am sure it will!
  • susheelasusheela Posts: 56 ✭✭
    If I won the lottery, I will go to world tour first , Then will open a residencial school in my native place then fund remains I will purchase a beautiful house in Sydney in good location to give gift to my son
    I too would like to see the world @susheela because it is a big place, and I have only ever been to a handful of countries so far.
  • susheelasusheela Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I wish that will come soon @daneblack
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    I will save money and will help less fortunate individuals. :)
    Me too @kindgnice.
    @daneblack I would love my own library in my house, with comfortable chairs and a machine to make hot drinks. I think I would always be in there just reading for hours at a time!
    mheredge wrote: »
    Me too @kindgnice.

Awesome @mheredge! It's nice to know we have same mission and vision in life. :)
    daneblack wrote: »
    @GemmaRowlands same to you.. I usally sitting in bookstore for hours as stress reduce solution. I'm kind of bookaholic who bought a lot of books. but sadly some of them has never been opened :))

@daneblack: I can relate to that buddy. Perhaps due to busy schedules? :)
    @kindgnice yes, exactly. I have no much spare time to finish a book weekly. However, every 3 months, there is a book fair in my area, and i also buy about 5-10 books. So, the unreaded book have been accumulating time by the time :(

@daneblack: Wow! Can you donate them to me when I get the chance to visit your country? :) hehe
    @daneblack yes I agree that reading can reduce stress a lot, as it can take your mind off whatever is happening in your life at the moment.
    @GemmaRowlands @daneblack
    And it helps you forget the things that are bothering you, whether it's work-related or from outside world. :)
    Back to the lottery (we've gone a bit off topic here), but how much do you think would you need to win for it to make a difference to your life?
    @mheredge I think that if I won £150,000 it would make a huge difference to my life, because I could buy a new house and car, and I would only have to earn "spending money" rather than having to pay rent, and this would mean that I would have a lot more time to do the things that I enjoy!
    mheredge wrote: »
    Back to the lottery (we've gone a bit off topic here), but how much do you think would you need to win for it to make a difference to your life?

I believe as long as the price at stake will make a difference in other people's lives will be worth exerting an effort.
    actually i've read a research when i was a student. It show that if the people get the free money which is 5 times of their annual salary, this would change their life spending. For me, i just dream about the number with four zero in USD :D.
    @kindgnice : Call me when you come to my country. I not only donate my unreaded book to you and also offer you a tour to exprience my culture. :d. I will same to you guys, @mheredge and @GemmaRowlands :D. My money will be wating for you to come out from my pocket =))

Wow @daneblack. You're so kind! Thanks. ;)
    Would £150,000 be enough to do all that @GemmaRowlands? You wouldn't even need a really huge win then, to dramatically change your life.
    For me it doesn't matter how big the prize is, as long as the purpose will be helping other people, even how small or big the prize is, can make a difference. Considering an outreach program for example, it doesn't require a lot of money to spearhead the said program and reach less fortunate people. On the flip side, having the idea of helping others and motivating them makes a great impact in their lives. :) @mheredge