Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Critical Thinking

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,627 mod
@Bubbly

Question everything. :grey_question:

photo criticalthinking_zps0byi682y.jpg
Tagged:

Comments

• OlegOleg Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question.
    One person thinks of all the details of every his step ( maybe he is a perfectionist) but other person doesn't think about what he is going to do and how, at the same time, he prefers acting instead of thinking a lot.
    Who can be more successful in their life from them?
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 141 ✭✭
    It was interesting question @Oleg actually we don't know who is the more sucess than the other, we just try to make a wilingness. In my piont of view, the sucess one is the more do than think a lot. 'Cause somethin' that we can think well is event that happened before,
    If we too much to think we'll haven't enought time to get any experience.
    But it will be bad if we do something without any thinking :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,813 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing it Lynne. I have already selected it for the 'business buzz' session.

@Oleg it is a process of filtration and re-filtration of our thinking. Someone needs to adapt it first and then practice it. It is not a one day activity as our mind needs training on it. Once it gets trained, we don't take too much time to think and then act.
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Among of vital role to play on critical thinking it's all about how to make decisions. Everything we do require decisions, either to answer some question or to make some presentation require critical as well as analytical thinking. I agree with those steps my emphasis are to use most of you're time to analyse and thinking about what are you going to do or say, this will help us to think critically.

Before you speak, Think
    Before you judge, Analyse
    Before you execute, Make some strategies

@Oleg @lenny @Bubbly @faiz49
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,065 mod
    If only more people could follow this diagram! Here in Nepal everyone accepts what they are told too easily. I constantly upset people with my 'Why?'
  • OlegOleg Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

@mheredge I know one thing about Nepal's Sherpas.
    Sherpas help to alpinists to conquer Everest
    The highest mountain in the world. I know one thing, if you are thinking a lot on the mountain Everest you are going to stay dead on the top.
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    To formulate a problem right means a half of the solution.
    It's nice for some kind of tasks if you make to run your brain in this algorithm way.
    But there are lots of problems you couldn't find out its algorithm.
    Then you have to be guided by intuition.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Problems that have no algorithm, are solved heuristically.
    edited March 2016
    And I'm afraid critical thinking is not quite what most people think of. Woof!
    @Xanthippe do we need to use critical thinking in Statistics? :) :wink:
    @Deucalion welcome back!

It is a systematic process that needs to filter out a lot of information. But, we usually mix it up with heuristics.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @Xanthippe now I am critically analysing these morals. :) :)

Two morals of the story:

A badly chosen big sample is muc worse than a well-chosen small sample

Watch out for selection bias and nonresponse bias.
    @Bubbly, well done. You are a statistical genius. ;)
    @Xanthippe thanks for a beautiful lie! :)
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    @Deucalion The heuristics is intuitive (unconscious) problem solving method.
    Do you know something how it working?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,627 mod
    edited March 2016
    Some people mull things over, some people jump in with both feet, but others seem to be able to apply critical thinking techniques at lightning speed. It appears they have given something no thought at all, but it's not true. They have all the angles covered.
    @Bubbly, it is not a beautiful lie, it is a beautiful tale. ;)
    You may want to find a statistical prince. ;)

@Bubbly Unfortunately, I'm not back (too busy). I was just passing by.
    @Lynne it's all about your experiences. I have seen people who pass through tough experiences in life are more actively involved in critical thinking.
    @Xanthippe I wish it were a tale then I would read it again and again in Storytellers session. ;)
    @homanmih Unfortunately I don't know how the intuition works. You?
    @Lynne "They have all the angles covered. "
    Do you mean they are better informed, Lynne?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,627 mod
    edited March 2016
    @Deucalion - It 's more that they are well prepared. Ready for anything. Americans would say, "Cover all the bases" so this is a mixture of that and "know all the angles". "Know all the angles" can be a bit negative.

Angle is an interesting word. For example: In step 4 you could ask yourself, "What's their angle?"
    edited March 2016
    @Lynne "Know all the angles" can be a bit negative, probably because it enables the ones to take advantage of others. It looks like English people are sometimes pegged as those who have all the angles covered. :smile:
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,065 mod
    Knowing all the angles is smart surely @Deucalion? If you know all the angles, you probably won't be cheated easily and will have a plan b, plan c and all sorts of fallback plans.
    @Bubbly, you may want to read it too. That's better than an average statistical prince ;) :

" Prince Andrew, in the white uniform of a cavalry colonel, wearing stockings and dancing shoes, stood looking animated and bright in the front row of the circle not far from the Rostovs. Baron Firhoff was talking to him about the first sitting of the Council of State to be held next day. Prince Andrew, as one closely connected with Speranski and participating in the work of the legislative commission, could give reliable information about that sitting, concerning which various rumors were current. But not listening to what Firhoff was saying, he was gazing now at the sovereign and now at the men intending to dance who had not yet gathered courage to enter the circle.

Prince Andrew was watching these men abashed by the Emperor's presence, and the women who were breathlessly longing to be asked to dance.

Pierre came up to him and caught him by the arm.

"You always dance. I have a protegee, the young Rostova, here. Ask her," he said.

"Where is she?" asked Bolkonski. "Excuse me!" he added, turning to the baron, "we will finish this conversation elsewhere—at a ball one must dance." He stepped forward in the direction Pierre indicated. The despairing, dejected expression of Natasha's face caught his eye. He recognized her, guessed her feelings, saw that it was her debut, remembered her conversation at the window, and with an expression of pleasure on his face approached Countess Rostova.

"Allow me to introduce you to my daughter," said the countess, with heightened color.

"I have the pleasure of being already acquainted, if the countess remembers me," said Prince Andrew with a low and courteous bow quite belying Peronskaya's remarks about his rudeness, and approaching Natasha he held out his arm to grasp her waist before he had completed his invitation. He asked her to waltz. That tremulous expression on Natasha's face, prepared either for despair or rapture, suddenly brightened into a happy, grateful, childlike smile.

"I have long been waiting for you," that frightened happy little girl seemed to say by the smile that replaced the threatened tears, as she raised her hand to Prince Andrew's shoulder. They were the second couple to enter the circle. Prince Andrew was one of the best dancers of his day and Natasha danced exquisitely. Her little feet in their white satin dancing shoes did their work swiftly, lightly, and independently of herself, while her face beamed with ecstatic happiness. Her slender bare arms and neck were not beautiful—compared to Helene's her shoulders looked thin and her bosom undeveloped. But Helene seemed, as it were, hardened by a varnish left by the thousands of looks that had scanned her person, while Natasha was like a girl exposed for the first time, who would have felt very much ashamed had she not been assured that this was absolutely necessary.

Prince Andrew liked dancing, and wishing to escape as quickly as possible from the political and clevehttp://www.gutenberg.org/files/2600/2600-h/2600-h.htmr talk which everyone addressed to him, wishing also to break up the circle of restraint he disliked, caused by the Emperor's presence, he danced, and had chosen Natasha because Pierre pointed her out to him and because she was the first pretty girl who caught his eye; but scarcely had he embraced that slender supple figure and felt her stirring so close to him and smiling so near him than the wine of her charm rose to his head, and he felt himself revived and rejuvenated when after leaving her he stood breathing deeply and watching the other dancers. "

@Xanthippe The ending is ambiguous like probability. ;) But, I need to critically analyse it before I finalize it for the session. ;)
    @Bubbly, it is not probability, but at least geometry:

" "Well, madam," he began, stooping over the book close to his daughter and placing an arm on the back of the chair on which she sat, so that she felt herself surrounded on all sides by the acrid scent of old age and tobacco, which she had known so long. "Now, madam, these triangles are equal; please note that the angle ABC..."

The princess looked in a scared way at her father's eyes glittering close to her; the red patches on her face came and went, and it was plain that she understood nothing and was so frightened that her fear would prevent her understanding any of her father's further explanations, however clear they might be. Whether it was the teacher's fault or the pupil's, this same thing happened every day: the princess' eyes grew dim, she could not see and could not hear anything, but was only conscious of her stern father's withered face close to her, of his breath and the smell of him, and could think only of how to get away quickly to her own room to make out the problem in peace. The old man was beside himself: moved the chair on which he was sitting noisily backward and forward, made efforts to control himself and not become vehement, but almost always did become vehement, scolded, and sometimes flung the exercise book away.

The princess gave a wrong answer.

"Well now, isn't she a fool!" shouted the prince, pushing the book aside and turning sharply away; but rising immediately, he paced up and down, lightly touched his daughter's hair and sat down again.

He drew up his chair, and continued to explain. "