Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are your reading tips? Help somone having difficulty of reading English books.

ElleElle Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
Hello all my dear friends!

Everyone knows reading English books is very good for developing knowledge and vocabulary, etc.
Someone, however, has difficulty of reading English books like me..
The reasons could be lack of vocabulary, no interest of reading, no idea what to read, etc.

I'd like to ask you what is your secret tip to read English book merrily.
What would you do if you face so much vocabulary you don't know while reading?
How do you get concentrated on reading for long time, like over an hour?
Were you a person who had difficulty of reading as well? If so, how did you practice and turn into enjoying reading books?
Or do you have the same issue as I do?

I'd like to listen to your thoughts! :wink:

Comments

• hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    You can also started with books which you have already read.
    When I began I try to read every day 5 pages, then my daily limit increased to 15 pages. Now when the novel is addictive I can read 200 or more pages ;)

It's the most difficult when you don't have interesting in reading at all. My advice is to find movie which was best on the book and read that book. Often novels are more interesting and complex than films.

I totally agree with Bubbly. It's no use translated all words. Try to guess meaning from the context. The beginnings are always the most difficult. Then the vocabulary used by author repeats.
    I'm sorry for my mistake. It should be 'My advice is to find movie which was based on the book and read that book.'
    Yesterday my keyboard gone mad.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Elle, I have same issues with my reading skills... I started to read new book, that contains some short stories, and I stuck with some difficult words.
  • ElleElle Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly Thank you so much for your great tips and love!
    What's the latest book you read recently? What kind of book do you like?
    @hazel27 Thank you so much for your tips! I think reading some books which have already made as films is great idea! I could watch the movie first to get whole story, then reading the book would be much easier. :)

I, most of time, give up at the beginning of a book because the speed I read is so slow and I get bored easily.. :(
    @Glorian me, too. Sometimes I couldn't even move on to the next page because there are too many words I don't know. :sweat:
    Even though we struggle reading books, we shouldn't give up! We could be book lovers. haha :wink:
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Elle The last book I read is 1984. I like inspirational and motivational books especially with some profound lessons. :)
    @Bubbly what is 1984 like? Could you share what was profound lesson of 1984?
    I searched 1984 and it has a book and a movie versions. Did you watch the movie as well? :)
    @Elle it is a novel by George Orwell based on the imaginations of whole generations, or the power of its admonitions -a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time. You can find about it in this link.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

I didn't watch the movie. :)
    I know what you mean @Elle Now I try to read books in German and I sometimes need some motivation to do that ;)
    But I know it's effective way to learn new language.
    @hazel27 so you are learning German these days? :) I learned German when I was at high school, but I forget everything..
    I'll read English books everyday with at least 5 pages, so I hope my English skill would be way improved then ever. :)
    @Elle Yeah, I was learning German in school too. Unfortunately I use it almost never so I forgot it too. But step by step it come back to me and even more - I hope. ;)
    Great that you're reading in English. It's still passive learning but in that way we 'absorb' new words, phrase and connections.
    @hazel27 No matter which language is, reading books is great! Let's share if there are good or inspiration books you read or found. :)
    @Elle same here. I forget grammar that I learned in school and now I face difficulty in using "articles" and sometimes "prepositions". :(
    @Bubbly It's okay. It's too early to get depressed by that. :) I still remember what you told us in your session last time about the 'article' with expressions of illness.
    A headache, A cold, A fever, etc. but when the sentence with verb 'feel', no 'article'.
    ex) I feel fever. ;) I'm a good student, right? haha.
    You are still good enough to teach us about 'article', so cheer up!
    edited March 2016
    @Elle You have mixed up a little bit. :)
    Post edited by Bubbly on
    I read an interesting article today about how important reading books is.
    Let non English native speakers read English novel books for 127 hours without any studying of Grammar, Vocabulary, or Listening, then they got 40 score more on TOEIC( this is one type of English exams in Asia).
    Also other group of non English native speakers who have even less score of TOEIC, 475 out of 990 score, read 213 hours English novel books, then their scores were 180 higher than before.
    213 hours is the same amount of time when you read an hour everyday for 7 months.

Isn't it interesting? No matter how many pages, I'll definitely read English book an hour from today. ;)
    @Elle which article?
    @Bubbly Oh, It was on Korean newspaper.. It was written in Korean..
    @Elle Oh! So I will have to learn Korean first. ;)
    Wow @Elle it's quite effective! Thanks for sharing with this article (and translated of Korean ;]). I need borrow some books ;)
    @Bubbly Yeah! That would be great if you learn Korean. ;)
    I'm willing to teach you. 버블리 = Bubbly
    @hazel27 I'm reading the book, The Complete Classical Music Guide.
    It's about all classical music, musicians, knowledge which I'm so interested.
    Let's share if you find great books. :)
    @Elle Oh! so symbolic I think. :)
    @Bubbly yes, Korean is based on sound symbols. Once you remember Korean alphabets, vowels and consonants, it's easy to use them. :)
    @Elle Ok Done! When? Where? ;)
    @Bubbly anytime, anywhere you want unless it's my sleeping time. ;)
    @Bubbly anytime, anywhere you want unless it's my sleeping time. ;)
    I realized that just reading all comments is great prepractice of reading books even though our comments are not grammatically perfect. Get involved more in the forum. :wink: