Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you save money?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,757 mod
It is always good to be able to save money when we can, but how do you do it? I like to make sure that I am not spending too much on energy bills, so won't use my heating for the majority of the year. I also like to use coupons when I am shopping, as it helps to cut down the bill a lot, which is clearly a great thing.

What about you? What methods do you have for saving money?

Comments

• faiz49faiz49 Posts: 159 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands hi there. With my hopeness, i relly want to any member give the solution about save money.
    'Cause i am bad on manage my money, i like buy some snack, and i can't control it
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,148 mod
    I have a regular standing order from my main bank account automatically putting some money into a saving account @faiz49. I don't even notice it going out, but then by the end of the year I have money to pay my taxes and also money for special treats.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save my money in the farm to grow some plants and buy some animals or birds if you have any money you should work this money don't collect money try to think any project agree with your talents .I think one project don't lose money forever build houses and sell those house it's make profit and work with children make profit because almost parents don't refuse any request for their children.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,757 mod
    That's a really good idea @mheredge as it means that you will always save money no matter what else is going on at the time!
  • laxmikanthlaxmikanth Posts: 7
    Start investing through SIP systematic investment plans
    I am always a little wary of investment plans @laxmikanth as there is usually a certain amount of risk with them which means that you could actually lose money instead of gaining it.
    The most important thing to remember if you want to invest @GemmaRowlands, is never put in more money than you can afford to do without, if things go pear shaped and the markets crash. The biggest problem is when people rely on their investments for their pension. Having worked in the City for many years handling complaints from upset investors, I never forget this lesson that I was taught by a highly successful broker.
    Yes that's very true @mheredge though I think it would frustrate me a lot if I lost money due to a bad investment. I don't think I should do anything risky because I know how much it would annoy me if something bad were to happen.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    First, you have to save at least 4 times your current salary for your emergency medical needs. Then after that, try participating in stock market. :)
    Well it would take me a great number of years to be able to save that much money, so perhaps investing isn't for me!
    Well it would take me a great number of years to be able to save that much money, so perhaps investing isn't for me!

You can do that my friend. Don't worry, if I have successfully fulfilled my dreams in financial aspects, I'll help you. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    The best way I found was to monitor my money with a computer aplication where I can put all my transactions and see my Finance Health at any moment, do my month budget and so on. It's a perfect method to me.
    @tmendesf wrote: »
    The best way I found was to monitor my money with a computer aplication where I can put all my transactions and see my Finance Health at any moment, do my month budget and so on. It's a perfect method to me.

Like excel app? :)
    No. Like Quicken app. Costs some money but you can bet you'll get your money back using it in a half year :smile:
    edited April 2016
    No. Like Quicken app. Costs some money but you can bet you'll get your money back using it in a half year :smile:

Ohh. Let me try to download that app via Google Play Store. Thanks for your suggestion buddy. ;)
    The best way to save money is to not go shopping! I've spent a fortune today.
    You may also use piggy bank! ;)
    tmendesf said:

That is a great thing to do. It would certainly help you to see where you were wasting money, and where you could cut back in the future.
    I'm still using the old-fashioned way of monitoring my money. Perhaps using a notebook to jot down my daily expenses will help as well. ;)
    If it works for you @kindgnice then I see nothing wrong with continuing to monitor your money in this way!

If it works for you @kindgnice then I see nothing wrong with continuing to monitor your money in this way!

I just do this occasionally. :)
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > The best way I found was to monitor my money with a computer aplication where I can put all my transactions and see my Finance Health at any moment, do my month budget and so on. It's a perfect method to me.
    >
    > That is a great thing to do. It would certainly help you to see where you were wasting money, and where you could cut back in the future.

You can bet on it. This way an can monitor everything related to my finance life. However, be careful, it will waste a considerable amount of time if you were a perfectionist like I am :smile:
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > The best way I found was to monitor my money with a computer aplication where I can put all my transactions and see my Finance Health at any moment, do my month budget and so on. It's a perfect method to me.
    >
    > That is a great thing to do. It would certainly help you to see where you were wasting money, and where you could cut back in the future.

You can bet on it. This way an can monitor everything related to my finance life. However, be careful, it will waste a considerable amount of time if you were a perfectionist like I am :smile:

Well that way, you'll be sure that your money monitored all the time. ;)
    > @kindgnice said:
    > @tmendesf wrote: »
    >
    > > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > > The best way I found was to monitor my money with a computer aplication where I can put all my transactions and see my Finance Health at any moment, do my month budget and so on. It's a perfect method to me.
    > >
    > > That is a great thing to do. It would certainly help you to see where you were wasting money, and where you could cut back in the future.
    >
    > You can bet on it. This way an can monitor everything related to my finance life. However, be careful, it will waste a considerable amount of time if you were a perfectionist like I am :smile:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well that way, you'll be sure that your money monitored all the time. ;)

It's specially useful when we've various bank accounts.

Yes buddy. This is also useful for credit card accounts as well. ;)
    > @kindgnice said:
    > @tmendesf wrote: »
    >
    > It's specially useful when we've various bank accounts.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes buddy. This is also useful for credit card accounts as well. ;)

Yes, I forgot about that ;)
    kindgnice said:

Yes - and we should always be very careful with our credit card accounts, as it is very easy to be tempted to spend money that we don't really have.

Yes - and we should always be very careful with our credit card accounts, as it is very easy to be tempted to spend money that we don't really have.

I'm very guilty with this. I hope the bank isn't angry to me at all, because I haven't used their issued credit card for a month now. He he :lol:
    The best way to save money is not to go flat hunting!
    What do you mean by flat hunting? @mheredge