Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you celebrate Easter?

I know that Easter is celebrated in many countries, and there are many different traditions. In my family, we don't do very much at all, but we will buy easter eggs for each other, and will all get together for a meal on the day itself, which is always nice to do.

I know other people who celebrate in many different ways, lots of which include religious messages.

What about you? Do you celebrate Easter? How do you mark the occasion?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,405 mod
    Happy Easter everybody !

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I am in a Buddhist country and maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen any sign of Easter bunnies or chocolate eggs here. And maybe Cambodians haven't yet jumped on the band wagon. I know in Kathmandu I'd be able to find Easter eggs. Even though Nepal is a Hindu country, they still have Christmas Day off as a holiday despite the fact that there are hardly any Christians there.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,223 mod
    Are any of the celebrations as consumer led as they are here @mheredge‌ ?
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,694 mod
    Happy Easter!
    Today I was in church and got blessed the content of my basket I brought alonge.
    edited April 2014
    Well, @SalustraQuiroz‌, you made me think about this Easter tradition.
    I wonder what the link is between the name Easter, the bunny and the eggs.
    I had never asked myself about these.
    Thanks to http://www.learnenglish.de/culture/easter.html and http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html for the information.

First of all, the name Easter is seemingly derived from the Eastre, the Teutonic goddess of Spring.
    Then the Easter bunny is a symbol of fertility.
    I don't know why fertility is linked to Easter where Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, though.
    Then the "most" important thing are the chocolate Easter eggs!
    Originally people use chicken egg which is a symbol of spring and new life, in many countries it is replaced by chocolate eggs.
    Traditionally, a lot of chocolate eggs will be hidden in the garden and children, having a basket in their hands, will try to find as many eggs as possible and they may keep them.
    I'm not sure if this chocolate version is better for our health though, when I heard that a little girl has found almost 30 chocolate eggs and has the intention to eat them all ! =))
    Christmas is also celebrated on what was once a pagan festival.
    How many bank holidays do you have a year @SalustraQuiroz‌ ?
    Really, @SalustraQuiroz‌? I thought that in Catholic countries in particular, that they all took Easter Monday off as a holiday. What about Good Friday, is this a holiday in Mexico?
    I'm not sure, but I think Britain only has eight: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Bank Holiday, Whitsun (Monday), Christmas Day and Boxing Day. France has 12 I think, but apart from Bastille Day and All Souls, I'm not sure what the other extra days are.
    We have New Year's day, Easter Monday, First of May, Ascencion, Pentecost Monday, National Day, Assumption of Mary, All Saint's Day, Armistice Day and Christmas Day.
    In the past we had also 2nd of January, Good Friday, All Soul's day and 26th of December.
    Ten days - so better than the UK, but maybe not as good as France for holidays @april!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,593 mod
    Allegedly, in Spain you get 14 public holidays.
    But, what if the public holiday falls on Saturday or Sunday?
    You can take a day off on another day or you just lose it?
    edited April 2014
    In the UK that never happens. If it happens in Germany, you lose it, but I don't know about Spain. We should ask Fernando‌.
    In France you lose it too. Some years are worse than others, when several dates seem to all fall over weekends.
    In Belgium we don't lose it either.
    Offices will have the day off on Monday, and in some jobs as nurses we can take it on another day.
    The Netherlands is like France, sometimes they only have six holidays!
    Dare I say, but in just three months alone, between the end of April and the end of June, Cambodia will have more than thirteen public holidays (on week days), along with a further three days of holidays that fall over the weekend. I'm not quite sure if office workers get alternative days off in lieu though.
    Easter in the UK is good that way, with it being a four-day weekend.
    Hi @SalustraQuiroz‌,

Here's a bonus correction:-

No @mheredge‌, Good Friday is not a holiday. We'll, it is a special day but we have to work. In some jobs (such as my current job) they give us Thursday and Good Friday off.

In Mexico we don't take these kinds of holidays on the exact day they should be celebrated. We take them on the previous Monday, and in that way we can have a long weekend.

(We often do the same in the UK, but not at Christmas.)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,080 mod
    edited March 2015
    We are already speaking about nice weather, spring and chocolate eggs. I think it's time to reopen this thread: Happy Easter. Are you going to celebrate Easter and if yes, what are you planning to do?
    As I'm in a Hindu country @Sun, there is no sign of Easter here at all. There is a church over the other side of town but I've never been. However by 12 April I will be in Japan and maybe I will be able to find some Christian churches there.
    edited March 2015
    We will be away this Easter, but I will certainly be eating some chocolate on Easter Sunday. :smile:

Like @Sun I will be decorating some eggs, and hanging them on the small tree in our garden. I never used to do this in the UK, but it's very traditional in Germany, and I like it.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Easter to everyone! :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun quite descriptive but really informative.
    People are mostly Buddhist in Taiwan aren't they @chyijung? I think there are quite a lot of Christians in Korea. At least, there seem to be a lot of South Korean Christian missionaries around here in Nepal.
    My dream is to go to The Easter Island once.
  • SunSun Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Lynne for the correction. :)
  • seanyluvzseanyluvz Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Easter eggs are quite popular here in Germany... Love it
This discussion has been closed.