Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Good TV series for improving your English

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,069 mod
You will find a lot of TV series streaming online nowadays, so share ones that you think are good for learning / listening to English here. I will add more as I think of them.

These are some of the series I think you should give a go (find the ones that you enjoy). I'm not saying they are all brilliant, the ones with a star are my favourites, but most are watchable.

British:-

*Line of Duty
*The Night Manager
*Daziel and Pascoe
*Dickensian
*Doctor Thorne
*Moving on
*Pride and prejudice
Doc Martin
Midsomer Murders
Downton Abbey
Dr Who
Mr Selfridge
*Sherlock
Doctors

American:-

*Heroes and Heroes Reborn
*The 100
*The big bang theory
*Friends
How I met your mother
Everyone loves Raymond
Will and Grace

Oldies:-

Mind your language
Are you being served
Birds of a feather
*Butterflies
The likely lads
Keeping up appearances
Rising Damp
The good life
Fawlty Towers

Factual series

Countryfile
Horizon
Cowboy builders
A place in the sun
*Victorian bakers
*The hotel inspector
*Masterchef
The great British menu
Gardner's World
Holiday of my lifetime
Come dine with me
Four in a bed (don't get excited - it's about bed and breakfast establishments)

British Soaps

Eastenders
Coronation Street
Hollyoaks
Emmerdale

Live TV

*The Wright Stuff
*The Last Leg
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    You forgot "Scrubs", @Lynne, it's an american TV show.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    My first British TV show which I have watched without subtitles was 'As time goes by'. It's a funny sitcom with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer. I'd love their accents ;)

I consider 'The Big Band Theory' quite difficult when they use some scientific vocabulary. But it's one of my favourite ;)

-------------------------

The first British TV show I watched without subtitles was 'As time goes by'. It's a funny sitcom with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer. I love their accents.

I consider 'The Big Bang Theory' quite difficult when they use some scientific vocabulary, but it's one of my favourites.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,283 mod
    I don't know if they're available to download but these oldies were among my favourites too:

Porridge
    Going Straight (follow up to Porridge)
    Dad's Army
    Fawlty Towers
    The Liver Birds

• sarahboidy44sarahboidy44 Posts: 132 ✭✭
    " The big bang theory " i love sci-movies, so i'll try to download it or watch it online !!
    I really excited to watch this series :)
  • DmitryDmitry Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I think "Friends" is the best movie for development of spoken English
    "The big bang theory " is not sci-movie , it's comedy
    @Dmitry what's " Friends " movie talk about ??
  • ElleElle Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    I've recently started to watch tv series and 'Modern Family' is fun.
    Also I'm glad that there are good recommended other shows here. I'll definitely go and check them out to watch. Thanks!
    > @sarahboidy44 That's comedy and there are not serious speaches)))
    But there are enough phrases which you can use in daily conversation and I believe that's quite important for spoken language.
  • RemaRema Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favourites ''Only Fools and Horses'' ;)
    This is a good series @Rema. I'm very out of date with comedy series that are currently being aired though. Only Fools and Horses goes back a bit.
  • RemaRema Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @mheredge, brothers Del Boy and Rodney Trotter are amazing :) I was watching this show about ten years ago and I think that this show for all times ;)
  • AntonioAntonio Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hello. Has anyone watched Downton Abbey? And if yes can you tell me something about it?
    Of course. @Antonio. It is the history of the Crawleys family and their servants between 1912 and 1925. This period drama television series was beautifully done with attention to detail. It's full of interesting characters. I truly recommend this British TV show.
  • ramedinaviramedinavi Posts: 4
    hi everyone!!
  • ramedinaviramedinavi Posts: 4
    One of my favourites ''Gods of Egipt'.
  • AntonioAntonio Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Sounds good! I'm gonna watch it. Thank you :heart:
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Hm... btw, recently, I watched few TV show in english with subtitles: "Ash vs Evil" and "American Horror movie". That's awesome, but I didn't catch any words!
    @Dmitry thanks , i try to watch it
    @sarahboidy44 no troubles! also write if you find something better)
  • thegingerelvisthegingerelvis Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I'm hook on The Night Manager which is one of the new BBC series and it's based on a John Le Carre's novel. I have to say that I also enjoyed watching the last adaptation of War and Peace.
    @Lynne reminded me of the hilarious series called Not the 9 o'clock News that was very popular back in 1980.

@thegingerelvis I have just seen episode one of The Night Manager and I thought it was excellent. I now have to wait impatiently for episodes two and three to download. But worse still, I will have to wait for the other parts to become available!
    @mheredge I also think 'The Night Manager' promises to be really good. It's a little bit like 'Homeland', don't you think?
    Well I've only seen the first episode @hazel27. I'm not sure it's much like Homeland though. The Night Manager is a bit of an innocent being dragged into espionage. And we are looking at British rather than American characters too. John le Carre is one of the greatest writers of spy stories.
    edited March 2016
    I meant about spies, MI5, mysteries ;) @mheredge
    I definitely have to read something written by John le Carre!
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the craziest TV series but maybe, helpful for the beginners
  • thegingerelvisthegingerelvis Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    > @Antonio said:
    > Hello. Has anyone watched Downton Abbey? And if yes can you tell me something about it?

> @mheredge said:
    > @Lynne reminded me of the hilarious series called Not the 9 o'clock News that was very popular back in 1980.
    >
    >
    >
    > @thegingerelvis I have just seen episode one of The Night Manager and I thought it was excellent. I now have to wait impatiently for episodes two and three to download. But worse still, I will have to wait for the other parts to become available!

You're right but this series is really good and from my point of view the waiting is worth :)
  • ElleElle Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    I've found another good tv series called 'Blackish'.
    It's about episodes of black family who live in white community.
    It's fun and easy to listen because they speak quite slow enough comparing to other series. :)
    I'm going to have to find out what the Dickens Dickensian is all about!
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne Yeah I agree with you TV series are among of tools for improving my english. Currently on my night schedules I'm watching Merline series, I like the way they pronounce and acting.