Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Similar words

makimaki Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Words Words Words
Never mind they are similar in pronunciation or spelling, just write them down. But not similar in meanings (not synonimus).

Comments

• makimaki Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    Lynne worned us about pronunciation of words alley and ally. I always confuse this two words.
    Alley - /ˈæl.i/ - a ​narrow ​road or ​path between ​buildings
    Ally - /ˈæl.aɪ/ - a ​country that has ​agreed ​officially to give ​help and ​support to another one, ​especially during a ​war:

I think that was one more similar word, but I can't remeber. As I can remerber on session were @Rema , @Bubbly , @april ..... and teacher was @Lynne .
    dove - /dʌv/ - a ​white or ​grey ​bird, often used as a ​symbol of ​peace
    dough -/dəʊ/ - flour ​mixed with ​water and often ​yeast, ​fat, or ​sugar, so that it is ​ready for ​baking:

@Rema did you learne this?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @maki I was the one who did mistake by mispronouncing "alley". :) :)
    Three words:

Allay- diminish or put at rest (fear, suspicion, or worry).
    "the report attempted to educate the public and allay fears"

Ally- combine or unite a resource or commodity with (another) for mutual benefit.
    "he allied his racing experience with his father's business acumen"

Alley- a narrow passageway between or behind buildings.
    "he took a short cut along an alley"
    Thank you @Bubbly on your mistake couse I finally learned to pronunce this two words in right way after Lynne's corrections.
    Yes it was allay. Thank you.
    @maki don't worry. I will make mistakes so that you can remember them. ;)
    edited February 2016
    @Bubbly People say we should learn on other's mistakes. But I remeber things better when I make mistake unfortenately. :smiley:
  • RemaRema Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @maki I suppose that I have learned :/
    But that was funny and interesting situation, when I said that dough is synonym to pigeon @Lynne was laughing loud :D
    Allay- diminish or put at rest (fear, suspicion, or worry) sounds to me similar with L.A.(acronym which stands for Los Angeles) :D
    leap/liːp/- to make a ​large ​jump or ​sudden ​movement, usually from one ​place to another
    lip/lɪp/-one of the two ​soft, ​red ​edges of the ​mouth
    This is little out of discussion, but what you think about this pronunciation:
    colonel/ˈkəːn(ə)l/- a rank of officer in the army and in the US air force, above a lieutenant colonel and below a brigadier or brigadier general.
    sick/sɪk/adjective- affected by physical or mental illness.
    seek/siːk/verb- attempt to find (something).
    weak/wiːk/adjective- lacking the power to perform physically demanding tasks; having little physical strength or energy.
    week/wiːk/noun- a period of seven days.
    Plum/Plumb

Plum: is an adjective meaning desirable, and it also denotes the sweet, purplish fruit. The adjectival meaning originated as a figurative extension of the fruit.

Plumb: is a verb meaning (1) to determine the depth of, to probe, or (2) to work as a plumber; an adjective/adverb meaning (3) exactly vertical, (4) utterly, or (5) squarely; and a noun referring to (6) a weight on the end of a line, used to determine water depth.
    @rema Did you think that pronunciation of colonel is similar to canal /kəˈnæl/ - a ​long, ​thin ​stretch of ​water that is ​artificially made either for ​boats to ​travel along or for taking ​water from one ​area to another.
    @maki Frankly speaking, I think that they have different pronunciation, but maybe I got wrong conclusion :/
    Put them together and we will see what other participants think about that ;)
    @Bubbly As @maki knows we have šljivovica(one sort of rakia- alcoholic drink) produced from plums.
    Rakia connecting and correcting people :D
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,463 mod
    Wind and wind (air that blows and turn the watch winder) sound different but look the same. But reed and read sound exactly the same, but are spelt differently.
    @Rema Yes they have different pronunciation. I was thinking to mention rakija (shnapps, brandy) when I saw plum in @Bubbly post. Traditional alcholic drink in balkans. @Rema Whose rakija is better and stronger, Croatian or Serbian? :)

But moonshine (generic term for distilled alcoholic beverages made from indigenous ingredients mostly come from home-made production which is often illegal or tightly regulated in many countries.) exsists around globe.

@Glorian do you produce samogon or pervach. :)

@Zom exept burning woods, do you produce illegaly Eau de vie, gnôle, goutte, lambic, fine or poire (Pear), prune (Plum), mirabelle (Mirabelle). :)

I suppose that @Lynne smuggles Schwarzgebrannter or abfindungsbrennerei from Germany to England from time to time. :)

It's interesting that for us in Balkans first association on word plum is rakija.
    edited March 2016
    @maki I'm not sure, but that can be good competition :D
  • ZomZom Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @maki, France is great to produce all sorts of eaux de vie. I love Calvados and Cognac.
    edited March 2016
    1. Desert means abandon: He deserted his wife and daughter and went back to England.

2. Dessert is the sweet course eaten at the end of a meal: A dessert of chocolate mousse.

This sounds differently but I have added it because dessert is usually mixed up with desert sometimes.
    3. Desert also mean area of land: The Indus Valley Desert is located in the northern area of Pakistan.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,463 mod
    Deserts often get confused with desserts @Bubbli. It's a very common error made by British kids.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    It is a matter of emphasis, isn't it?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    edited March 2016
    hazel27 said:

It is a matter of emphasis, isn't it?

It's a mixture of pronunciation and stress.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    @maki Some people have a problem with which is right and left side. It helps when they cross oneself (you always do it your right hand) - it's a little mnemonics for Catholics ;))
    I like your way to remember how to spell desert and dessert!
    edited March 2016
    Yes @hazel27 I am right-handed pearson. And it was the way I learnt which side is right. The side on which my hand I write with is positioned. Exelent example.
    @maki there is no need of Mnemonics here because it is all about pronunciation. I don't see that it is difficult to remember as we don't have many meanings of this word 'desert.' :)