Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Reading skills + Listening skills=Speaking skills. Do you agree?

peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you agree how? If you don't agree why?

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,186 mod
    For me it's more seeing skills + wanting skills = the motivation to try out speaking skills. ;)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Listening skills improve your speaking skills whilst reading skills improve your writing skills.

Now I can see a meaningful smile on @Lynne's face. Please say it. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,707 mod
    edited February 2016
    I think the wanting skills are more important to help speaking than reading skills @peaceculture2. I know lots of people who can speak English quite well here in Nepal, but can't read at all.
    It is all about your motivation and courage to for it. Usually, people plan a lot and talk about it but they actually do nothing practically.
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne and @mheredge : new skills added wanting skills, On my side I need to improve my english so it's wanting skills.
    One man said to me, If you want to improve you're speaking skills you're required to listen more english conversations, english' news etc it seem the same as Bubbly explained . Also I know reading skills help to add some vocabulary to our brain, help to know how to pronounce the word ( Phonology ), so those skills facilitate speaking skills
  • nagrolnagrol Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Do you think it would do if I practice idioms/terms etc in the way I speak to my camera and then I play back the records? I mean I can understand many expressions when I am listening news or watching films, however these do not come into my mind during real conversations.
    @Nagrol brilliant explanations
  • MasterjulieMasterjulie Posts: 5
    Reading skills + Listening skills + Understanding skills=Speaking skills.

For me, It's useless if you don't know how to understand.
  • nagrolnagrol Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I have just started recording myself speaking. As for the first records these are pretty lame. To be honest these ar full of mistake, with terrible prononciation. However it is very useful to play these back and then do it again in a better way. I will choice topic for each time and try to make brief monologues. I feel it works.
    @nagrol I agree with you, speaking skills {by recording yourself} listening skills (to hear those recordings you made for yourself).
    Good @eysan
  • OksNikOksNik Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I partially agree with your formula, @peaceculture2 .
    And also partially agree with @Bubbly : Listening skills improve your speaking skills whilst reading skills improve your writing skills.
    Native language we learn usually follows: to listen -> to speak (repeat after others people) -> to read -> to write.
    If we are talking about other languages (not our native language), for me it is personal formula for Speaking skills: Reading skills + Listening skills + Writing skills.

I cann't speak other languages without writing skills. I mean to have dialogue. I can of course pronounce words when I read, but communication with people just after writing skills.
    @OksNik so you think that writing skills can improve your speaking skills. :)
  • OksNikOksNik Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Yes @Bubbly, so are arranged my brains :) My formula for Speaking skills is Reading skills + Listening skills + Writing skills.
    I need to be sure that I can write (desirable without errors) what I say.
    I know this sounds strange, but that's it... (In my internal world :) )
    @OksNik to some extent, I agree with you. :)
  • ThomasJudeThomasJude Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I want to talk and improve my spoken English. If you are interested to talk in Skype my id is judepantony. Please contact me on this id.
    Okay good! @ThomasJude
  • EugenyAntonovEugenyAntonov Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    I read and understand texts well enough. Audio I understand worse than text. I have some troubles when I write. I'm not sure that I write properly. I can't speak very well. I have too little experience in spoken English.
    @ThomasJude you can join us on Skype as we practice English daily for one or two hours. :)
  • JadenJaden Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I don't agree with that. Because if you never open your mouth to speak in english when you really want to speak you might feel nervous. :)
  • JadenJaden Posts: 21 ✭✭
    @Bubbly Can I join the skype group to practice english with you guys. Thanks :)
  • darbriderdarbrider Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I think speaking skills are completely separate from reading / writing. I mean speaking like a native speaker. Many people think they will learn speaking by learning to read and write, and that's what most English methods do. But to really speak you need to memorize complete phrases and re-apply them in similar contexts. This is based on my own experience, for me that's the only approach that really works. You may study vocabulary and grammar for years, read books and even understand people quite well, but still not be able to speak correctly.
  • dudukotdudukot Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I agree with. I also add something more. First of all we need motivation for speaking. Then listening . Listen listen and listen for speechified time period. At that point ear will be prepared. After that reading loudly prepares lounge for speaking, lounge's muscles are ready for speaking.
    Yes absolutely, listening is key, but then you also need to practice what you hear. My sister uses teentok.com , it has a library of videos of every day scenes using common spoken English, and videos for practicing. She already knew some English but couldn't speak, now she's getting better. Guess it's like a gym for your speaking muscles ;)
  • TalhaBarkaatTalhaBarkaat Posts: 16 ✭✭
    i agree with Lynne regarding this post.
    Wanting is important but you need appropriate tools as well to learn to speak. It's a different discipline than writing, but often treated the same, which from my experience does not work. Speaking is very different from reading if you ask me.
  • rafaelslamrafaelslam Posts: 19 ✭✭
    For me your views are partially correct. I'm saying that because my listening skills are just ok, my reading is great but my speaking skills are awfull... I don't think i do a great job when it comes to typing also.
  • rafaelslamrafaelslam Posts: 19 ✭✭
    But i really WANT to improve my skills, so as @Lynne said... I think i'm in the right way !!
    Yes sounds like you are! But the correct phrase here is "I think I'm ON the right way". Check out Teentok for common spoken phrases