Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

LEN Word of the Year - rigmarole

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,519 mod
Rigmarole - noun

Used to describe a lengthy and complicated procedure.
Synonyms:
fuss, bother, trouble, palaver, ado, hassle, folderol
Idiomatic synonyms:
song and dance, performance, to-do, pantomime

In use: Some people see the procedure to join the Skype sessions on the Network as unnecessary rigmarole and give up.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,462 mod
    My father used to use this word a lot. Is this a word used so much by the younger generation @Lynne?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to go through the rigmarole of a project before I plan work activities.
    It is really a hectic job. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,519 mod
    @mheredge - Someone threw it at me, so I chucked it back. :smile:
    It sounds as if it might have originally come from the maritime world. I wonder where it originated.
    @mheredge - according to Google it comes from a mid 18th century term - ragman roll, which was a legal document recording a list of offences.
    Very interesting @Lynne. I know my father used to use the word.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    Bubbly used this word in a session.
    To make some understand you is rigmarole for me.
    @Shiny03 I had this experience not for renewal but for issuance of Driving license.
    All governent department has a rigmarole working .
    @mohit_singh You view over rigmarole .
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    it's become rigmarole for Indian corrupt officer and Businessmen when they shockingly know about the news that 500 and 1000 rupees are not a legal tender now.
    Walaahh!
    PM gives a big punch to corrupt people!LOL!
    @nidhii
    @mohit_singh Strongest and Cleverest decision to curb Black Money.5 star for him.
    So the only legal tender in India is now 100IRs notes and less @mohit_singh? Does this mean you need a suitcase for your wallet now? I mean, if you want to pay cash for anything expensive, the 100 rupee notes will weigh a ton.
    yes, my dear @mheredge government is also planning to print new 500/- and 2000/- ruppee notes!
    but this notes would be in limited quantity!
    this decision can instantly resolved the problem of Black Money that is been stored by some corupt people in the form of cash.
    secondly,it will aslo prevent the fake note supply to indian curruncy .
    It's causing a lot of anger outside India, as many people have some rupees that are now worthless. Luckily I only had two 1000 rupee notes in my stash. I have about 1400 rupees in small denominations which should be enough for a sandwich and coffee next time I'm transiting via Delhi airport in a couple of months. I don't see how it will stop forgery though. They will just make new counterfeit notes. It's certainly causing a headache at the banks. I hear withdrawals from ATM machines are limited to 2000 rupees (about 20$), which much mean people have to keep going to the machine countless times or use plastic.
    I like the pronunciation of this word.
    nidhii wrote: »
    Bubbly used this word in a session.
    To make some understand you is rigmarole for me.

@mheredge,I think you don't have idea about the black money that India have inside or outside the country.
    In simple words if you follow some Indian English news channel you will get some idea about how it will impact on our economy.
    I think for the first time after indepence of India poor people are happy because they don't have black money and rich people are on great problem who are not submitting their income tax.
    So much fun! :D
    I can talk about this a lot.this is done by PM with full proof plan and in top secrecy.
    edited November 2016
    If India can recover all its black money then the country become prosperous in other second.
    Now ,you can guess how much black money Indian people have!
    Black money is the issue of every country but rigmaroles of earning it varies from country to country. Even politicians involve in it!
  • oscar001oscar001 Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Yes @Bubbly, politicians are involved. Here, in Spain there is a trial in progress at the moment in which more than twenty politians (all colours) have been taken to court due to illegal use of tax-free credit cards (referred to as Black Cards) among the Board of Directors (which are politicians) of a bank rescued with public money. Look at this, on the one hand they are seizing houses from poor people and, on the other hand they are not paying taxes and wasting (you could not imagine what some of them spent the money on) public money. Shameless!
    @mohit_singh - I would think the poor in India are laughing at all the rich people trying to swap their 100 rupee notes. It's a crazy business, and you are not alone. The €500 note will no longer be legal tender in Europe for similar reasons.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36208146
  • Paolo12Paolo12 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    yes I like "rigmarole" pronunciation too, it sounds like a tongue twister ahhaha
    and it's true, the skype session procedure tends to discourage the new members...
    @oscar001 it is more like setting different rigmarole in different situations. Politicians may have a different set of rigmarole for their personal gains and that is quite complicated for the public.
    @Paolo12 I found it one of the easiest way to be a part of LEN Skype Meetup group. Have you gone through it?

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/3015/how-can-i-join-the-network-sessions-on-skype/p1
    To curb Black money is a rigmarole.Our Prime Minister has taken best decision to change old currency to new currency .It's a major decisions towards eradication of counterfeit currency.Opposition is blaming government for causing rigmarole in exchanging currency but hard steps are needed to bring good change in country.
  • Paolo12Paolo12 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @Paolo12 I found it one of the easiest way to be a part of LEN Skype Meetup group. Have you gone through it?
    >
    >

Yes, I have. That's better!! :)
This discussion has been closed.