Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Europe - in or out?

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,098 mod
edited February 2016 in In the News
A very topical topic in the UK right now is whether Britain should leave the EU.

There are lots of good reasons for and against. (I have certainly been motivated enough to arrange a proxy vote for a friend to vote on my behalf on this, a subject that I have strong views about!)

To kick off discussion on your thoughts on the matter, you may find it interesting to see that this is not a new subject. This episode of Yes Minister was first aired in 980.

Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,644 mod
    edited February 2016
    LOL - Thanks @mheredge. I dread to think what BoJo and his ilk say behind closed doors.

The term the papers use, Brexit, is the bit that annoys me most.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,098 mod
    It sounds like a new kind of breakfast cereal @Lynne.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,776 mod
    edited February 2016
    Brexit or Brexin?
    What will be your choice, @Lynne and @mheredge ?
    Don't say that you will not be asked to vote!
    Post edited by april on
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,898 mod
    I worry about the referendum because, on the whole, I just don't believe that the British public are "in the know" enough about the issues. I am including myself in that, though I do plan to do a lot of research ready to cast my vote carefully.
    I'm sorting out a proxy vote @april , so someone can vote on my behalf.

Good for you @GemmaRowlands that you're looking to find out more about the issues involved. The FT and Guardian however, seem to be the only two mainstream newspapers who are pro EU. The FT is providing some useful information on the possible consequences of Brexit.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I thought that they have already left "technically" "symbolically" "diplomatically" "ironically" and many other cally. :) :)

A very topical topic in the UK right now is whether Britain should leave the EU.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,776 mod
    GB has to think twice about it, that's for sure.
    Some critics have the opinion that Brexit is the best for EU!
    I'm sure you know what I think April.
    @mheredge just in case if GB choose to leave EU. Is there any other option for it to survive? It would be like a suicide attempt to do so besides having many issues.
    I totally agree @Bubbly. But many people think otherwise and think the UK will be much better off. I have just put a couple of links to two very good articles on the subject in 'Fake it as you make it' for @filauzio.

http://gu.com/p/4h29c/sfb Pity the poor Brexiters - they could win and still lose
    and http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/70d0bfd8-d1b3-11e5-831d-09f7778e7377.html#axzz40uLTOJOn What are the economic consequences of Brexit?
    I still wonder what is David Cameron thinking about this exit?!
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/a273b446-db18-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09.html#axzz41FYns3kP
    I think that he, like most politicians, is thinking, "What's in it for me?"
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Britain get out of the UE equal the British get out of mind. But if politicians couldn't think, the whole country with so long history couldn't be hysterical. I believe in intelligence of people.
    I hope/pray/wish you're right @homanmih.
    @homanmih If there is a 'think thank', they might be thinking of all these options. But, who knows who is getting what out of it.
    A lot of British people are trying to get European passports if they can, before the referendum. I was reading today that Brits with Irish parents are suddenly taking interest in becoming citizens of Eire.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    UK on EU? I thought UK not an EU.
    I've lost you @Glorian.
This discussion has been closed.