Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Phrasal verbs

Are there some technique to learn to think as a native English spoken and remember its mean. Instead of do it in the birth language and after mentally translate to English?

Comments

• SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne‌ I vote there should be phrasal verbs discussions because they're one of the things learners have to learn to live with.
    @Bobmendez‌ if you didn't watch those two videos, would you think "put up" and "put up with" could mean the same?
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    @SLB I could think so. Prepositions don't change the whole meaning in my first language. I guess we don't have any phrasal verbs at all (Russian, Ukrainian)
    edited October 2014
    There's no phrasal verbs in Spanish either so understanding them is mentally painful for me as well, though I know phrasal verbs from the same infinitive with different prepositions are different altogether
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,762 mod
    Whatever you do, don't look at wiki for it's explanation of phrasal verbs @SLB and @Bobmendez‌. But if you look at https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/phrasal-verbs-list.htm, this gives a nice clear explanation and a list of examples that might be useful.
    One problem is knowing if you can change the order, e.g. ask speak something up vs speak up something
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,762 mod
    Most get frightfully offended and defensive. They often tend to find it hard to laugh at themselves.

One American friend loves it though. He starts trying to teach me some of the funnier differences in American English. But he doesn't live in the US any more and so he's very 'international' in his attitudes to things.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,215 mod
    If you're not sure what a phrasal verb is, go to this page:-

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/verbphrasaltext.html
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,048 mod
    OMG!
    It's frightening!
    Are you coming to Kitely today?

It's not frightening, it's fun. :smiley:
    I suspect that every phrasal verb has (should I say 'has got'? :) ) its normal analogue. For example, 'postpone' instead of 'put off'. I wonder what motives were to promote the use of phrasal verbs. May phrasal verbs be considered as a kind of slang?
    @Lynne has given this
    http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/verbphrasaltext.html

'Phrasal verbs are usually used informally in everyday speech as opposed to the more formal Latinate verbs, such as “to get together” rather than “to congregate”, “to put off” rather than “to postpone”, or “to get out” rather than “to exit”. They should be avoided in academic writing.'

Do British newspapers, for example, use academic writing? Where is it used then? Does academic speaking exist? Does BBC use phrasal verbs a lot?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @bobmendez are you an English teacher?
    @bubbli‌ you flatter me o:)
    I am a computer science teacher. In fact, I don't need a lot of English at work. It's just my hobby. I learn English for fun.
    To say the truth I have never been abroad. English speaker is a real alien for me. How can I miss a chance to talk!!!!??? :D
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,745 mod
    How many phrasal verbs are there in computer language @Bobmendez? :D
    @Bobmendez so if I want to learn good English, I will have to take admission in computer sciences :P
    @lichaamstaal difficult one!:)
    Unfortunately I can't tell you a lot about English computer language @lichaamstaal. In Ukraine we have every term adapted, therefore I don't use English at my lessons at all. It isn't done. Although I can write down some English words on the blackboard to show the origin of the Ukrainian words (Hard disk, Flash memory,...).
    Computer language is something special. It has phrasal verbs, of course. I still don't think it's a big problem. Computer slang is a problem :) . That's why you don't have to take admission in computer sciences to learn good English @bubbli.
    @bobmendez let me divert you from this discussion!...so which phrasal verbs are tricky to learn!
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    No more phrasal verbs challenges?
  • LoZuMoLoZuMo Posts: 13 ✭✭
    > @Bobmendez said:
    > SLB I could think so. Prepositions don't change the whole meaning in my first language. I guess we don't have any phrasal verbs at all (Russian, Ukrainian) Hello, by any change do you teach Russian? I am looking to learn Russian but because my job I cannot go to school, I am looking to learn in internet, I just move to Kazakstan. thanks
    @LoZuMo interesting! No phrasal verbs at all. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Learning some phrasal ver is very important. It helps us sounds and speak like English natives. It is not easy to memorize phrasal verbs but learning each phrasal verb a day is a big help.
  • GeroxGerox Posts: 8
    I find phrasal verbs a little hard to memorize, it's a matter of time to get used to them.
  • mailforhanmailforhan Posts: 55 ✭✭
    @Gerox, keep up the spirit of learning! Don't hold back to try something out in this conversation.
  • zahirzahir Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thank you @Lynne for this link. This is very useful article. I always read phrasal verb. But this is a common scenario for me I forgot it as well. I think the "The Phrasal Verbs Machine" by Cambridge university is also good app for mobile phone
  • nour360nour360 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @Lynne thank you for sharing, good to clarify that point.
  • DmitryDmitry Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Learning phrasal verbs is really very difficult things for me, but native speakers use them very often how I know.
  • VahninVahnin Posts: 81 ✭✭
    > @Bobmendez said:
    > I suspect that every phrasal verb has its normal analogue.

When you invite a girl to get in your car , do you have a lot of options to select? There is no substitute for "get in" here. Right?
  • mikkilinnmikkilinn Posts: 50 ✭✭
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @LoZuMo interesting! No phrasal verbs at all. :)

Bubbly, we mostly use prepositions to express what Engish-speaking people express by phrasal verbs. We also use prepositions to express perfect aspect, as you might know, there are no perfect tenses in Russian.
    If we look at the history of phrasal verbs:

"Phrasal verbs in Modern English developed from verbs with separable preposition prefixes in Old English. Verbs with separable preposition prefixes still exist in Modern German and Modern Dutch. For example, the Modern German verb aufwachen “to wake up” consists of the verb wachen and the preposition prefix auf. When the verb is conjugated, the preposition prefix moves to the end of the predicate phrase as in ich wache auf “I wake up.” Old English verbs with separable preposition prefixes evolved into phrasal verbs in which the preposition follows the verb in Middle English. Phrasal verbs are a periphrastic verb form unique to Germanic languages including Modern English."

Now compare with Russian
    goriet' - to burn
    sgoriet' - to burn down
    this prefix -S equals to the particle 'down'
    Learn like a native.