Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Questions about News #182

ElvinElvin Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Let's Practise and Learn
Hi guys.
I decided to listen to the news #182 and tried to write it. After what I checked my writing with the text below the audio record.
I've some questions, and I'd be grateful to you if you help me:
News about sand
1. 'has gone to pot' - what does this phrase mean?
2. 3 acres of the field WERE or WAS left?
3. What is the right pronunciation of 'sand'? The dictionaries say that there is 'æ' sound there, but in the record it sounds like 'ʌ'.
---
News about Peter Pan
4. helped inspire or helped TO inspire?
---
News about pets
5. takeaway food? The Collins says: food which is ordered and made in a restaurant and is then taken away to be eaten at home or elsewhere. But it still isn't clear for me.
6. Admitted TO giving or admitted giving?

Thanks a lot to Lynne, for such an opportunity, for interesting news, and comments to them! :)
And I want to say that, @Lynne, there're enough foolish people in the world to buy this space. I think every member of our Government would like to buy it and this price is not a serious money for them.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    You probably can find most of the answers using Google @Elvin (like to go to pot).

Plural nouns - were (three acres were...).

You explain takeaway food correctly, so what don't you understand? Don't you have this in your country? In India and Nepal it's sometimes called 'Homepack'.
  • ElvinElvin Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    Well, thanks, @mheredge. What is the problem with tookaway then? It's normal food, why they don't recommend to give it to pets?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    Often take away food isn't that healthy for humans let alone our pets @Elvin. Dogs for example, will eat pretty much anything but sweet stuff and junk food is just as bad for them as it is for us.

You wouldn't use took as this is the past tense of the verb. A 'take away' is a noun.
This discussion has been closed.