Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 183

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    White bread is not very healthy, so it's encouraging to see the message seems to be getting through at last.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We use Naan here and I think it is also a kind of white bread with some extra calories and no fibres. But, I have no idea why UK is getting difficult for living!

It seems that white bread, which was once a big part of Britain's diet, is on the decline on the country's dinner tables. A Daily Mail article reports sales have plummeted, with shoppers spending £40million less on it last year. White bread appears to be the victim of a health backlash, with people switching to brown bread and foreign alternatives such as naan and ciabatta.
  • ElleElle Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly I LOVE Naan!! :) so good
    I'm not sure if nan is quite so bad @Bubbly but maybe it is. I doubt that it has so many chemicals and preservatives as regular white bread sold in the supermarkets.
    @mheredge we eat it on weekend or special occasions. Usually, we bake "roti" at home for lunch and dinner.

I had a couple of little donuts that I dunked in yoghurt for breakfast today. They are nice because they aren't very sweet.

I'm a fan of parathas @Bubbly but not if they are greasy in any way.
    @mheredge parathas are usually used in breakfast but I avoid it because of too much oil in it.

@Xanthippe I hope that you name is also included in this list. ;)

A maths teacher, who describes maths as “quite addictive”, from Preston Manor School in Wembley, has reached the top 10 finalists for a global teaching prize. The final top 10 shortlist has been published, after entries were received from teachers in 148 countries.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly, I am sorry, I don't teach maths. :)
    @Xanthippe me neither. :(
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    If you are a good student you should score good mark in Maths.
    @Renni I am not. I hardly passed Maths in my school. My teacher was so good but my mind was not that good for this subject and now Statistics has replaced it. :)
    I was lucky if I could just about scrape through in math. Not my favourite subject either @Bubbly.
    @mheredge I have opted Statistics for the next semester. My friend tried to convince me a lot that I should select any other elective subjects that are much easier than Statistics but I took it as a challenge. :)

Fingers crossed for the good results! ;)
    You masochist @Bubbly!
    @mheredge not exactly but I like to overcome my assumption that statistics subject is meant for geniuses only like @Xanthippe :)
    @Bubbly, you should see me in Second Life. My brain is full of smoke, nearly burning. ;)
    edited February 2016
    @Xanthippe Ah SL! My heart isn't yet in it. Please share with me some good communities in SL where I can learn statistics. ;)
    @Bubbly, there is a science circle with Nymph. :)
    @Xanthippe really! But what is the connection between science and statistics? :/
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,876 mod
    I can't imagine a dog that is taller than me!

@Lynne is this a new in News Round Up? :) :)
    @Bubbly, I thought you liked quantum mechanics. ;)
    @Bubbly: "Anatolian Shepherd dog Kurt is described by owner Tracey Buckingham as 'the biggest cuddle monster' in the world.

And, says the Daily Express, Tracey, from Chatham, Kent, reckons that Kurt, who is 7ft high could well be the biggest dog in the country.

The dog weighs 11 stone and Tracey spends £100 a month on his diet of raw meat and bones."

Over two metres high? I can't even imagine a dog this tall @Lynne. I mean that's about the height of an elephant. I wonder how they are measuring him.
    @Xanthippe I think that you overestimated my intelligence. LOL.
    @mheredge isn't it huge! How does she manage it?

This discussion has been closed.