Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Haunting Migrant Photo Wins Top Prize at World Press Photo of The Year 2015

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,555 mod

A man passes a baby through the fence at the Hungary-Serbia border in Roszke, Hungary on Aug. 28, 2015.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/haunting-migrant-photo-wins-top-prize-world-press-n520616

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,139 mod
    The expression on the man's face is really poignant. It's an amazing photograph @april. Thanks for posting this.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,555 mod
    I agree, @mheredge .
    There are some other pictures that amazed me too, like this one from Nepal.

A wall of rock, snow and debris roar towards Everest Base Camp in Nepal before slamming into to the southern part of the camp at midday on April 25, 2015, killing at least 22 people. The avalanche was triggered by a powerful 7.8-magnitude earthquake that killed more than 8,000 people in the country.

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    i think this picture reflect on all migration cases in modern era..it is capture so much feeling
    There was an even worse avalanche last year by Everest Base Camp that took many lives @april. After watching Everest, it makes you wonder why people are so keen to climb this mountain.
    Do you think that local people themself also climb Mt Everest for adventure, @mheredge ? Apart from their job as guides?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    April- I like the first one. Any criteria for the selection of these pictures?
    I'm not sure about the criteria, @Bubbly .
    I suppose, like Oscar nomination, it depends on the jury.
    It's an interesting question @Bubbly. I suppose photographers enter pictures they think might stand a chance to win.
    @mheredge @april I've seen NatGeo pictures where they have given a set criteria that is mentioned on their website. May be it is like that.
    The competition usually sets the criteria like National Geographical @Bubbly. ICIMOD, the Himalaya research organisation I worked for a while ago has an annual photography contest and they suggest themes like mountains livelihoods water and so on. I once had a nice photo I wanted to submit but it wasn't big enough. It was only 1.6Mb when the minimum size was 3Mb.
    @mheredge I like photography especially of nature but there are no such competitions in Pakistan so people are not motivated to pursue this as a profession. I am to hear that you couldn't submit your picture, but you can try it again. You have a number of pictures that you take during your expeditions and share them on FB.
    I love taking photos @Bubbly, but I tend to take them for my own benefit. I'm too lazy to do anything with them.
    edited February 2016
    @mheredge I hope that you have managed all data country wise or event wise. You are blessed with a lot of pleasant memories that will never let you alone. :)

----------------------

You are blessed with a lot of pleasant memories that will never leave you.

!Note - to leave (let) you alone is negative.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    The biggest problem is how to transfer all the printed photos and slides into electronic format @Bubbly. This is very time consuming or expensive. I have lots of photos and slides that are pre-2005, when I first started using a digital camera.
    @mheredge you can get them scanned. I've done the same with old photographs of childhood and my family. I got them scanned and then saved them in my laptop.
    I have thousands of slides @Bubbly. They are the real problem. And they're all in the UK, so not to hand. One day I'll get my act together.
    I am good at data management. I have made folders event wise and kept all pictures in them. It looks lovely when we see these pictures and cherish those beautiful memories.
    I used to keep photographs in albums @Bubbly, but then I switched to slides, so these are all in boxes which should be labelled. I'm not sure if they all are though. They need a slide projector to view them, so it's not so convenient as scrolling through files on the computer.
    @mheredge with new technology, I think this issue has been resolved. Now you can easily scan them, edit them, and keep them in a folder.
This discussion has been closed.