Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Secret of the Universe

LynneLynne TeachHomePosts: 9,876 mod
edited February 2016 in Archived News 2016
Gravitational waves have been detected.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35524440

As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know." (The most sensible thing Donald Rumsfeld ever said.)

(I don't think the answer is 42.)
Tagged:

Comments

• ElvinElvin Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    Ehey, I know this quote and it is interesting to read it in English. :)
    But the article is too long for me...
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that in future we would be able to communicate with aliens with the help of these gravitational waves, if they exist!

"Gravitational waves go through everything. They are hardly affected by what they pass through, and that means that they are perfect messengers," said Prof Bernard Schutz, from Cardiff University, UK.

Lynne, we can also invite aliens through these gravitational waves to join our sessions. LOL
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,876 mod
    edited February 2016
    Everyone is welcome Bubbly. :smiley:

@Elvin - Break it down into small chunks. This is groundbreaking stuff, and anyway, you told me you could skim read. :trollface:
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Here you go Elvin, the movie:-

(Just to put the length of the article in perspective.)
    It looks very interesting and I am going to watch it. Next week is dedicated to articles related to gravitational waves in the reading sessions, I think. :)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,554 mod
    So, I've heard the "chirp" ; what now? :)
    I don't think so Bubbly, because if we read about it, April would ask me to explain it. :blush:
    April has already asked you a question. ;)
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    If Donald Rumsfeld's message has been receiving any of aliens with the help of these gravitational waves we would not meet them in our sessions anywhen.
    If DR wins @homanmih I will be sending them a distress signal.
    I am looking forward to see some human beings as aliens.....! :)
  • DmitryDmitry Posts: 111 ✭✭
    It's great! Gravitational waves was discovered after Einstein had predicted them one hundred years ago)
  • robert134robert134 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Thanks for the article.
    It's an amazing discovery for astronomy. Before, the universe was only studying with the properties of light. Now, a new fields opens.
    Much remains to be done. Scientists say we only know less than 5% of our universe.
  • vinitmanujavinitmanuja Posts: 1
    this is a great discovery in the field of astronomy and astrophysics.
    this will solve many mysteries regarding how Gravity works.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,790 mod
    Upon viewing this topic, kindly allow me to share a link of how I appreciated the things panning out in our planet.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/phenomena/aurora

It's really fascinating to observe how it changes its color from green, blue, violet and others. Hope to see one in the future. :)
    edited February 2016
    I would love to see this too @kindgnice.

@Dmitry - Maybe after Einstein came up with the idea, the universe has been working hard for the last 100 years to prove him right.

We spoke about this in Kitely, and so I am building a couple of black holes there. @April and @Rinat got caught up in them yesterday. :smiley:
    @Lynne : It's nice to know we have same desires about Universe's wonders. :)
    Moreover, I hope in the future I will have the chance and time to visit Norway, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Canada, and United Kingdom, since according to the news, these are the top 6 places to see aurora borealis.

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/6-best-places-see-northern-lights-winter-2015-2016

:smiley:
    What about watching a Total Solar Eclipse, @kindgnice ? :)
    What will be your first question when you'll meet the real aliens? What importent information do you wonder to know just now?
    @april : That sounds interesting! However, I haven't gotten the chance to experience both lunar and solar eclipse. Wish to see that in the near future. :wink:
    @homanmih what will be your first question to aliens, if you encounter them? :)
    My first question will be: ' What does intelligent life mean?'
    @homanmih may be they don't have it. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    I think you have a very good point @homanmih. What is intelligent life?
    I suggest you to compile ten main questions we can ask for extraterrestrial beings. Maybe, question expert @Frank is going help us?
    kindgnice said:

@april : That sounds interesting! However, I haven't gotten the chance to experience both lunar and solar eclipse. Wish to see that in the near future. :wink:

Next month I'll have the chance to watch that for the second time, @kindgnice :) .
    That's awesome! Hope to see some photos if possible to be captured. :wink:
  • ArianeAriane Posts: 15 Inactive
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @homanmih what will be your first question to aliens, if you encounter them? :)

My first question would be: Where are you from? And the second question would be: What are you planning to do here? Then I would go on to questions about intelligence.
    @Ariane Would you like to communicate with them in English? ;)
This discussion has been closed.